Boss PS-5 vs Eventide Pitchfactor for detune effect

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

bodine1231
Just the numbers in order: 7

Boss PS-5 vs Eventide Pitchfactor for detune effect

Post by bodine1231 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:56 am

I just bought a used Eleven Rack on eBay and while waiting for it to arrive (cant wait!!) I noticed that it doesn't have a detune effect on it. I already own a Boss PS-5 and it does the Balance sound really well but I can't seem to get the early VH/Fair warning sound from it. I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried both and if the Eventide Pitchfactor is THAT much better ($) than the PS-5 for the detune effect alone. I'll be running the Eleven Rack through my Rokit studio monitors for now until I decide what I'll be running it through (maybe Atomic FR)

Also,anyone with an Eleven Rack have some good patches to share? :)

bmf5150

Re: Boss PS-5 vs Eventide Pitchfactor for detune effect

Post by bmf5150 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:29 pm

I would get pitch factor
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:33 pm

Try these settings for Fair Warning tone on the PS-5: Delay time all the way counterclockwise, Balance Straight up in the middle, Pitch -5 cents(first selection to the left) (-10 for balance tone), Detune mode.

Fair Warning was detuned only slightly somewhere less than -5 but the pedal gets somewhat close and is cheap, dirty cooter probably knows how many cents exactly.

. Detuning -10 and +10 cents is pretty much right on 5150 Balance tone. The pedal is cheap and easy to use. If you need exact the Picthfactor would be the way to go as Stan said. For Balance tone I used two PS-5's one -10 and one set +10, they work great are cheap and easy to use.

I did a vid slaving with the PS-5 set to -5 cents for my Fair Warning tone last year. I'll try to find the clip and post it up. I believe the Hear about it later the PS-5 was set to -10.

This is my 68 metro slaved into a load box at low volume.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PX1ds_rsI8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfM8Q7xYoc8[/youtube]

bodine1231

Post by bodine1231 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:16 pm

I never thought to use two PS-5's,that would be significantly cheaper than a Pitchfactor since I already own one PS-5.

Edit: been reading on another forum comparing the PS-3,5 and 6. I didn't know that the PS-5 only did one detune setting while the other two do dual. No wonder I couldn't get the sound right,I assumed it was doing +/- like the others.

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:42 pm

The above clips a totally 100% slaved with only the -5 and -10 detune effect sent to two cabs. I have since switched to a true WDW setup. An attenuated 100 dry cabinet for volume control with the two effect cabinets driven by an independent stero amplifier really give a wide tone I recommend it if you going for 5150/Balance tone. One of these days I need to make a new clip.

I think Fair warning was only detuned 1 maybe 2 cents if i remember correctly Im sure somebody on here knows exactly. Hear about it later definitely was detuned more towards the 10 cent range, I used to think the effect was 100% the flanger on that tune but it is the Eventide detune with some flanger in parts..

The -10 and +10 Cent with two PS-5's sent to separate cabinets is pretty damn cool. The dry middle cab makes it all work. I still have a mono delay but a stereo delay would be killer.

Pick up another PS-5 for your Balance tone, I think you will like it. I think my settings were gotten from Kent Carlivis's youtube settings for the PS-5, the pedal just works great for that tone.

bodine1231

Post by bodine1231 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:57 pm

How would two PS-5's on an Eleven Rack work? You'd connect output B and A to the loop for stereo but what about the second PS-5? If you connect it just like another pedal how will it know to add +5 to the right and the other -5 to the left. I'm wondering if it would just be easier to get a used PS-6 or PS-3 and sell the PS-5 to cut back on the extra pedal/confusion.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Kent Carlevi makes that boss pitch box shine!
Never tried one but it sounds great on the ytube clips.
That earlier stuff its 910 or 949 mode-setting is -.998 in micro adjustment w/ no modulation. Getting proper blend w/d of effect is key. Along with the minute adjustment of delaying that detune just a smidge. Play in the 50-100ms zone with your ears.
Newer stuff there is alot of argument on actual left right settings but its definitly a "micro pitch" algo. And the modulation (chorus) is ON here. Twiddle in the speed and depth for the chorus effect you want and detune it against the dry center cab to what your ears like. I do not like as extreme settings as some claim as it sounds too crazy. Slight -6 to -8 cents with a high wet mix of effect sounds best to me. Let the stereo modulation take care of the L/R imaging and you can check panning decisions off the list.
The one problem the Pfactor has is the inability to adjust how much "modulation" is put on the detune. The big boy box will let you wetten the detune with chorus separatly and Pfactor is just one set amount of mod with only the speed and depth control. There is more chorus effect than actual detune. And chorus detunes as an effect in itself.
There is a region where chorus and detune share alot of attributes. Together they can be monstrously rich and wide.

bodine1231

Post by bodine1231 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:46 pm

dirtycooter wrote:Kent Carlevi makes that boss pitch box shine!
Never tried one but it sounds great on the ytube clips.
That earlier stuff its 910 or 949 mode-setting is -.998 in micro adjustment w/ no modulation. Getting proper blend w/d of effect is key. Along with the minute adjustment of delaying that detune just a smidge. Play in the 50-100ms zone with your ears.
Newer stuff there is alot of argument on actual left right settings but its definitly a "micro pitch" algo. And the modulation (chorus) is ON here. Twiddle in the speed and depth for the chorus effect you want and detune it against the dry center cab to what your ears like. I do not like as extreme settings as some claim as it sounds too crazy. Slight -6 to -8 cents with a high wet mix of effect sounds best to me. Let the stereo modulation take care of the L/R imaging and you can check panning decisions off the list.
The one problem the Pfactor has is the inability to adjust how much "modulation" is put on the detune. The big boy box will let you wetten the detune with chorus separatly and Pfactor is just one set amount of mod with only the speed and depth control. There is more chorus effect than actual detune. And chorus detunes as an effect in itself.
There is a region where chorus and detune share alot of attributes. Together they can be monstrously rich and wide.
Is getting +/- detune a huge difference? According to the PS5's manual it only does a single detune,not dual. If so,what would be the better buy? The PS-3 or PS-6? (seriously debating a Pitchfactor but not sure if its worth it for primarily the detune?)

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:56 pm

I believe Carlevi was only using the Detune of -10 with a correct 250-400ms delay(tune to ear) on his YT clips with his Vox Modeler preamp direct. Not sure how to run two PS-5's into Eleven Rack in stereo. You can try the -5 or -10 to see which you like best the -10 sounds right and I believe that is what Carlevi was using.

Yeah the +10 cents adds a wider finished tonal palet to the 5150/Balance tone which is why I picked another one up. If I get a chance this weekend I'll record another YT WDW clip let you hear it to see what you think.

bodine1231

Post by bodine1231 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:07 pm

harddriver wrote:I believe Carlevi was only using the Detune of -10 with a correct 250-400ms delay(tune to ear) on his YT clips with his Vox Modeler preamp direct. Not sure how to run two PS-5's into Eleven Rack in stereo. You can try the -5 or -10 to see which you like best the -10 sounds right and I believe that is what Carlevi was using.

Yeah the +10 cents adds a wider finished tonal palet to the 5150/Balance tone which is why I picked another one up. If I get a chance this weekend I'll record another YT WDW clip let you hear it to see what you think.
I think it would be easier for me to just get a PS-3 or PS-6 and sell the PS-5. The other effects on the unit are meaningless to me so I guess is whatever I can find cheapest. Can't wait to hear those clips,I love the Balance sound.

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:08 pm

I want the eventide pitch factor
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bodine1231

Post by bodine1231 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:29 am

bmf5150 wrote:I want the eventide pitch factor
Lol,me too dude. I walked into the music shop today and they actually had one on the shelf,I was THIS close to walking out with it. The PS-6 arrived today and my Eleven Rack will be here in the morning so if I don't like what I hear I may say "F it" and go grab it. Although it is just a detune,I'm not sure if the Eventide will sound all that better than the Boss on just that one effect.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:08 am

Stan the Pfactor is awesome. Never parting with mine and use it over my timefactor for regular delay too.

I feel my FX I have now cover pretty much everything I could ever want but........
The two things I would bang my dick over rocks for would be an H8000 or a Bricasti reverb unit. :rock:
But thats way too much $. Cause there will always be that one dude with the skimpiest rig making the some of the most badass sounds and you'll go "Damn, do I really need all of this shit??" :lol:

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:51 am

Pitch Factor for me.

It also has pretty much the same usable double A/B delays/echo that the Time Factor has. Yeah, they are pricey for what is seen as a "pedal", but really they are a rack mount unit that got squashed into a smaller box and combined the footswitchs..
12000 Metro Kit

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:17 am

Will the pitchfactor as a single unit detune -10 cents and +10 cents in stereo sent to different output jacks so you can run a true Wet(-10) Dry Wet(+10cents) setup?

It would be nice to detune less than -5 cents for a more accurate FW tone but these little pedals aren't bad by any means.

Mr Bodine So the single PS-6 allows you to set two different detunes and sends them out separate output jacks?

What is the lowest cent setting on the PS-6 is it still -5 cents?