EVH Signature MXR Flanger at NAMM

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Bainzy
Just the numbers in order: 7

EVH Signature MXR Flanger at NAMM

Post by Bainzy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:03 pm

http://www.eddievanhalen.com/cgi-bin/in ... &start=0#0

seems genuine. I'm in the market for a decent MXR flanger, but the paintjob and (I'm expecting) higher pricetag would put me off to be honest. I'm not a big fan of signature gear, unless it's got my signature on it :mrgreen:. Hopefully this might reduce the price of some other decent MXR flangers as everyone will be wanting this one.
"I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you"

Shred Guitar
Plexi Mods - now with new forum, please join!

BrownSound1
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by BrownSound1 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:36 pm

Interesting...and you can bet they'll be expensive. I guess that explains why Dunlop pulled the reissue some time ago. Perhaps they tweaked the EVH model to sound more like the real thing...I just can't see it not having some sort of tweak.

Thank God I have an original.
Why is it we can remember where all the wires go, but can never find a pick?

Star*Guitar

Post by Star*Guitar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:08 pm

Well if it is anything like the EVH Phase 90, it wont sound any different then Wall Wart Flanger...I'd put money on it. That script button on the EVH Phase 90 barely changes the EQ and does nothing to the sweep. That is not a real script mod...man it bugs me...I hate wasting my money.
Star*Guitar

BrownSound1
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by BrownSound1 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:31 pm

The sad thing is there will be tons of guys who have to have everything EVH, so I'm sure it will get rave reviews and sell like hotcakes.
Why is it we can remember where all the wires go, but can never find a pick?

MARCO

Post by MARCO » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:46 pm

DID YOU GUYS NOTICE SOMEONE SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT A "UNITY GAIN" MOD...?? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT AND HOW WOULD IT CHANGE THE TONE..?? THE LEAST THEY COULD DO IS MAKE IT TRUE BYPASS RIGHT ?? I JUST PAID TO HAVE MY 80'S MXR FLANGER HAVE A TRUE BYPASS MOD INSTALLED. "UNITY GAIN" ??
MARC34

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:54 pm

The new ones had a really large jump in gain when you switched them in. The unity gain mod makes the level closer to the level of the bypassed effect. Its only switching one resistor IIRC.

MARCO

Post by MARCO » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:51 pm

Thanks for clearing that up.....I have an Original as well. I like it and had a true bypass mod put into it so it wouldn't eat the tone when not used. It in no way alters the look of the unit either which i like. Anyway, I like the EVH MXR Phase 90, to me (regardless of the graphics) sound much better than the reissue...cant compare it to the Original but....I would think this new MXR Flanger will sound nice as well, at least I hope it will. For the $$, they should put a true bypass/hardwire on the unit. I guess we'll see. As far as EVH, screw this MXR stuff, come out with a signature amp that can do the old school stuff. The 5150 was garbage IMHO and I know for a fact that his 5150's were modded anyway. I think what it is, is that some of these amp makers put all of their $$ into making great amps and cannot afford to pay for big endorsements....which to me makes sense. I know Soldano was one of the players back then that could not afford to pay EVH to use their amps so he took his business elsewhere and had Peavey desing something LIKE the SLO-100.....my opinion, the SLO is leaps & bounds better than the 5150.
MARC34

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:03 pm

FWIW my understanding is the evh phase 90 is just the newer phase 90 incorporating the 'script' mods people do to the new 90s. One of them being the unity gain thing.

Brentsp

Post by Brentsp » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:07 am

I have a 1976 MXR Flanger that is just remarkable. Its beat to hell but sounds so good. I actually use it out in front of the amp. :wink:

Bainzy

Post by Bainzy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:54 am

Billy Batz wrote:FWIW my understanding is the evh phase 90 is just the newer phase 90 incorporating the 'script' mods people do to the new 90s. One of them being the unity gain thing.
Yeh - apparently it doesn't even do all of the script mods that people do. Even if the pedal had all the script mods, there's still more mods necessary to replicate the vintage circuit.
"I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you"

Shred Guitar
Plexi Mods - now with new forum, please join!