Matrix GT amp for W-D-W

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

white noise
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Matrix GT amp for W-D-W

Post by white noise » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:59 pm

Is anyone else using the Matrix GT amp's for their wet-dry-wet setup?

I know Ed is using the H&H V800's for his rig and Steve Stevens is using the GT1000FX-U2, he said he A/B them against the H&H and said he preferred them over the H&H.

dirtycooter

Re: Matrix GT amp for W-D-W

Post by dirtycooter » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:38 am

I got the gt1000 and its the best piece of the puzzle without all the vintage HH failing BS and waaaaaayyy fricken lighter and only 1U in the rack. A total no brainer. I love this thing :wink:

GO WITH CONFIDENCE MY BROTHER BECAUSE ITS THE SHIT!!!! :thumbsup:

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:50 am

I love mine,great way to go
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:09 pm

Another vote for Matrix. I love mine for slaving.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:28 pm

Mark Day's vid was excellent.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

STEINBERGER

Post by STEINBERGER » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:10 am

Hello Gentlemen. My first post. I hope Im in the right department.
Just out of curiosity, Im trying to run a w/d/w setup.

From my mod5 marshall jcm800 I use a suhr iso line out box b/w head & cabinet.
-Thru goes to dry cabinet.
-line level goes to Pod xt for fx.
-Pod xt left & right outputs go to power amp which feeds left & right cabinets. Sounds good.

The question is ......am i better off using a dummy load instead of suhr iso box to feed fx for power amps. What works & sounds best?

Fryman power station or Matrix Power amp. What works & sounds best?

Carrying 3 quad boxes + marshall + rest of gear into a shop just to try something is 'chiropractic epic'
In the good old days you could find & try gear at shops to HEAR what gear sounds best. These days we get mislead with advertising hype on the net and people posting and praising high opinions of some pretty lame stuff. :peace:

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:54 pm

You only need a dummy load if you want to "re-amp" and aren't slaving for just fx purposes.
With my 5153 I need no load-it has a master volume so crankin it is meaningless. 1 speaker send goes straight to main dry cab-the 2nd speaker send dead ends into the lineout box then it taps it all down to line level and on through the wet rack and to the wet cabs.
But with my plexi and reamping through the power station??? And to get slaved fx at the same time??
The head goes into the power station for total load. Then I simply use the power station speaker outputs just like my 5153. Only in this scenario with the plexi there is 8ohm plexi into 16ohm load on the load box and the speaker outputs from the power station are 8ohm tap to 16ohm cab. The other speaker send from the power station plugs into the lineout box and dead ends into that. It just gives my rack its signal to convert to line level and feed my post amp fx business.
Go slow and think it through. Slaving and reamping are similar but different still. Think what you need to have happen. Then go from there.
With a mod5 it will be more less like my 5153-it has a master volume-so no need to crank really. Set the volume and slave through the lineout. But IF you wanna crank it for THAT kinda thing? It's gonna be too loud and you wanna maybe try reamping for volume control on top of the slaving for fx.

STEINBERGER

Post by STEINBERGER » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:15 pm

Thanks Mr Dirty,
appreciated
Best regards.
:D

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:37 am

I am one of those who has a few failing H&H power amps. They are heavy and I have found no one or place who can fix them.
I still have a v500 that functions fine and still sounds very good.

I bought a Matrix 1000. It is the 2 rack space unit, but it has a really nice, quiet fan. The HH amps have a fan that can get a little noisy if you are in the same room with it. It is about like the Peavey Classic 60 amp fans.

The Matrix is really good. The first one I had fried and started smoking. Matrix was semi-okay to work with to get a replacement. The replacement that I had is the Elements 1000FX. It works fine. Very quiet and sounds good. Plenty of power, way more than I will ever need. I have not done any A/B type comparisons, but I do not think you will be missing anything. Especially if you have never owned and used a H&H.