Cascaded 1987 blowing mains fuse, Help

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

fhn_lopes
Just the numbers in order: 7

Cascaded 1987 blowing mains fuse, Help

Post by fhn_lopes » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:26 pm

Hey guys! Just did the one wire mod to my amp a couple weeks ago, also changed the 2nd stage rk for a 10k like the JCM800. Played it a few times, all good, tone was sick! The amp was still in the bench tough.
Yesterday I decided to keep it that way and put it back into cabinet. Fired it up, ok, turned on the std by, played one chord and bang, mains fuse gone. I didn't change anything since the last time I played it, for over one hour actually.
I assume something happend to it while it was in the bench or I damaged something (how??) when putting it back into the cabinet...

I wish you could give me na idea of what to look after first in this issue... I'm providing another fuse bc I didn't have a spare (in the amazon it's a pain in the ass to find).

thanks!
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks

vh junkie

Re: Cascaded 1987 blowing mains fuse, Help

Post by vh junkie » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:52 pm

I have blown fuses by moving too fast in turning the power on, and then taking the amp off standby.
Power the amp on and let it sit that way to warm up the heaters and bias voltage.
After taking off standby, let the amp warm up for 15 minutes before cranking it up incrementally.
You could play on 2 "acoustically" and increase the power over that 15 minutes as well.
Might want to check that all the chassis grounds are tightened down too!
"With all due respect, sir, you're beginning to bore the hell out of me."
- Gunny Highway