All the ingredients HERE

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

All the ingredients HERE

Post by jnew » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:14 pm

What's going on everyone. I haven't posted here in a long time but thought I'd share a pretty cool opportunity that I don't come across very often at all. Maybe 2 or 3 times if that. So I currently have in my possession all the goods and made a clip to include the isolated samples. Super 70 pickup into an Echoplex, to a 68 Marshall Plexi (variac at 90VAC) and then into a Marshall 4X12 cab with Greenbacks and the JBL D120F's. The clip is JBL iso first, then the Greenback iso, and then the two mixed 50/50, panned together all the way right and laid into the song opposite side of ED. :rock:

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/pla ... D=13852705

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kiddangerous

Re: All the ingredients HERE

Post by kiddangerous » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:10 pm

This certainly sounds good. And great playing.

I'm back in the '68 camp as well. I had posted a clip with my '69 software model but have since gone back. It sounds so good I don't want to take away from that, but now that you're so close to the original tone, I think there's something else going on in the top end. I'm working on a new algorithm so I'll have more detail soon. But thanks for posting this, especially the differences between the Greenback and JBL!

jnew

Post by jnew » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:32 pm

I’m going to agree that there are some peculiar things with the top end in his tone. And two significant contributors are the JBL’s and the pre-amp in the Echoplex. Now that I own an EP-3, I’ve been closely analyzing what it brings to the game by playing straight into it, and then to the computer. I recorded some clean raw comparisons with no EP3, then the EP3 and finally the home brew EP3 Pre Amp pedal that I built using it’s own voltage supply and a real TIS 58. I can post it too if you care to hear it.
BUT, there is no question that a lot was also done in post. 😉

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael R/T

Post by Michael R/T » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:18 pm

The clip sounds really good. :rock:
Well done. :toast:

axeman
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by axeman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:24 pm

That's amazing James. I can listen to it all day.

jape88

Post by jape88 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:51 am

jnew wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:32 pm
I’m going to agree that there are some peculiar things with the top end in his tone. And two significant contributors are the JBL’s and the pre-amp in the Echoplex. Now that I own an EP-3, I’ve been closely analyzing what it brings to the game by playing straight into it, and then to the computer. I recorded some clean raw comparisons with no EP3, then the EP3 and finally the home brew EP3 Pre Amp pedal that I built using it’s own voltage supply and a real TIS 58. I can post it too if you care to hear it.
BUT, there is no question that a lot was also done in post. 😉
Great clip of the raw tone and I totally agree with the influence the jbls have. :thumbsup:

I'd be interested in hearing the EP3 comparison clips James, I opted out of using my EP3 for reliability reasons (and the hum), switching it on everyday just to jam didn't make sense due to it's age and value, so I opted for one of Peter Clinch's pedals, actually I preferred the EP+ over the EPpre.

Keep up the good work.

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:08 pm

Thanks axeman.

Here's a link to the clip that is straight guitar with no amps or anything. Two bars of the same riff. First is straight guitar, second is the Echoplex and the last one is the EP-3 Preamp I built like 5 or 6 years ago. It's really close but a tad shy in the swirling top end sheen. However, last night I dug a little deeper because I remember that earlier versions of EP-3's had different circuits in the preamp than some of the later circuits did. They were brighter. And since I don't know what year my Echoplex is from, I took it apart to see if it had the earlier circuit with values that made them brighter. Low and behold, it is the exact circuit that I built. So I took mine apart and sat it next to the Echoplex so I could adjust the bias on the TIS-58 transistor. And wouldn't you know it, I found it in adjusting that bias and it is SPOT ON now. I'll make another quick comparison clip after I've had a cup off coffee.
https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/pla ... D=13853277

axeman

Post by axeman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:29 pm

Which echo pre are you using? I have Aion echo pre clone that I built.

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Are you talking about in the dry clip? First pass is straight guitar, second is the real EchoPlex EP-3 and the third isn't a name brand. I built it from and Echoplex schematic. I've never tried the Clinch FX or the Exotic, or any of them to be honest.

axeman

Post by axeman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:01 pm

Got it check this ep3 clone and can you please see if its a least close to the real one?

https://aionelectronics.com/project/are ... p3-preamp/

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:41 pm

I followed your link and looked at the schematic. Hmm, to start with, it takes 9V and goes through a charge pump to get to 18V (or 24V as an option) The originals didn't do it this way. But in all honestly I cannot comment on whether this is stable and equivalent DC supply. It may be just fine. The originals had a 22VDC supply according to the schematic. I couldn't find a 22VDC supply so I went with 24VDC for my build.
That schematic looks like the earlier circuit where some of the component values were different and would have yielded a brighter tone. The Echoplex I now have, and the Preamp clone I built years ago, are both using the later circuit. There is a fat switch option that changes a few things on the back end of that circuit to closer replicate the later version but it's not a complete change to the later circuit. There are some things on the front end that would also need to be changed.

axeman

Post by axeman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:52 pm

Its three versions in one. You should try it out, it sounds amazing with a strat.

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:27 pm

I see the switch that sort of makes it a 2 in 1. What's the 3rd variant?

axeman

Post by axeman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Fat lets you go from early to late model EP3 as well as adding a third option to thicken the tone even
further. The middle switch position is the early EP3 circuit, which many people prefer.

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:07 pm

That's what I'm missing. What 3rd option are you talking about? I only see a switch for early and later circuits. And it's not even completing that conversion to the later spec. But what's the 3rd?

I'm not knocking this kit BTW. It might be a killer sounding pre-amp. I've just observing things that the Echoplex didn't do or didn't have in comparison. Also realized that a different transistor is used in this kit, not the TIS-58. :shock: