Anybody out there

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

white noise
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Anybody out there

Post by white noise » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:32 am

I haven't been on here in a while and just wanted to see who all still comes on here!

Chevelle
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Anybody out there

Post by Chevelle » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:03 pm

...I guess it's just us.

Brad911

Post by Brad911 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:10 pm

Very few members posting on here now. :cry:

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:42 am

why is that do you think?

myguess is ---- amp modelers - the continual pussification in its inevitable conclusion -

50's - tube combos
60's - real tube amps with 2 gain stages (pinnacle)
70's - real tube amps with 3 gain stages (the fall starts - but is slow)
80's - real tube amps with 4-5 gain stages (continues but still quite slow) - but digital begins
90's - real tube amps but marshalls take back seat to easier to play amps (boogies)
2000's - digital starts its takeover and combines its pussy power with too much preamp gain
2020's - modelers of amps and even speakers signals the end for all those except a few good men

2 gain stages till the end :jimi:

Asphaltbouncer

Post by Asphaltbouncer » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:04 am

I am new here, but remain optimistic about learning from the best.
Hopefully posting and membership will pickup.

whopperplate

Post by whopperplate » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:03 pm

awangotango wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:42 am
why is that do you think?

myguess is ---- amp modelers - the continual pussification in its inevitable conclusion -

50's - tube combos
60's - real tube amps with 2 gain stages (pinnacle)
70's - real tube amps with 3 gain stages (the fall starts - but is slow)
80's - real tube amps with 4-5 gain stages (continues but still quite slow) - but digital begins
90's - real tube amps but marshalls take back seat to easier to play amps (boogies)
2000's - digital starts its takeover and combines its pussy power with too much preamp gain
2020's - modelers of amps and even speakers signals the end for all those except a few good men

2 gain stages till the end :jimi:
Basically . It’s the usual trend of seeking greener gas . Same thing happened with recording . It all starts with a bunch of old timers who didnt know how good they had it and traded in their heavy old rigs for convenience based digital all in ones that can fit in a footprint. To this day they try to sell you on that it all sounds better. I remain unconvinced.

Fortunately, just like in recording , people who can actually hear and care continue to opt for vintage technology classic analog recording techniques, rather than follow the easy route. Such adherence by a few has helped re establish the tape and record industry, and similarly the same seems to be occurring with vacuum tubes .

Things like Russia tube shortages also highlight these resources as a valuable commodity and helps create the relativity to define it as something worth keeping .

If the resurgent interest in guitar and subsequent market boom post pandemic is any indication I think it’s safe to say there might be a few more people out there who will inevitably find themselves on here researching how to find the real sounds they love that the modern solutions merely emulate.
Musicians are like a bowl of cereal
If they aren't Fruits or Nuts they're Flakes

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:12 pm

I still contribute when I can, but I'm so busy building speakers for members like you guys, I can't get to any of my five most frequented forums as often as I like.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:53 am

It seemed like forums fell out of fashion and people migrated to social media. Also, many people lost interest here when my DIY kits went away.
It didn't help that as things were waning here we were hit by a malicious attack. I spent a lot to recover what could be saved and migrate it to a new installation.

I really have no time to moderate here and things go unmaintained, sorry. The software is overdue for an update, but there's no budget either. My most sensible move might be to take a snapshot of the forum and lock it, leave it up as a searchable archive. I've held on over the years because there's so much great info. It would be a shame to lose access.

I'm amazed when thinking about how many amp builders and small amp companies got their feet wet and began their journies with the help of my kits and this forum. At it's peak, the interest and enthusiasm here was off the charts!

VG
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Asphaltbouncer

Post by Asphaltbouncer » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:17 pm

You are correct about this being a great information source.

I see a niche for you if once the supply chain issues get back to (somewhat, if ever) normal, to offer kits again.

That’s just me talking, it sounds like you have a big burden with all the craziness going on as of late.

I wish you all the best in your decision.

Axios !

IC XC
NI KA

Mark

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:30 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:53 am
It seemed like forums fell out of fashion and people migrated to social media. Also, many people lost interest here when my DIY kits went away.
It didn't help that as things were waning here we were hit by a malicious attack. I spent a lot to recover what could be saved and migrate it to a new installation.

I really have no time to moderate here and things go unmaintained, sorry. The software is overdue for an update, but there's no budget either. My most sensible move might be to take a snapshot of the forum and lock it, leave it up as a searchable archive. I've held on over the years because there's so much great info. It would be a shame to lose access.

I'm amazed when thinking about how many amp builders and small amp companies got their feet wet and began their journies with the help of my kits and this forum. At it's peak, the interest and enthusiasm here was off the charts!

VG
Some of us old timers still pop in weekly to see what's going on. The loss of the DIY kits and the inability to post photos without a third party hit the forum hard.

I agree that there's a lot of great info contained on the forum and keeping it as a searchable archive sounds like a great idea. It would be a shame to see it fall into the abyss like the old Plexi-Palace did.

white noise

Post by white noise » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:53 am

I agree that a lot of have moved to social media, but I would hope you keep this site up and going for as long as possible, the info here is super valuable!
:rock:

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:11 pm

I'm glad there's still interest and activity. That affects my decision to keep it running. Maybe things will trend back to forums as people get tired of social media.

Every guy I hired to work on the forum said the attachments were a problem. The database swelled to well over a gig and had to be pruned after the malicious attack. We had the linked attachment function, but that was clunky and irritating.
Maybe the php software has evolved and there's a better solution. I'll dive into that when resources allow.
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Asphaltbouncer

Post by Asphaltbouncer » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:50 am

I personally am not on any social media. I don’t care to see pictures of your food at your favorite restaurant or know your bathroom habits.

Forums seem to provoke thought and deeper conversation.

I hope this forum is around a long time to come. Great information, great people, what’s not to like?

Lbrown3743

Post by Lbrown3743 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:45 pm

It died pretty quick.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:44 pm

The trend/s may very well get back to REAL amps anf GREAT forums like this one :thumbsup:
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)