Learning to record,

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

jnewlyn
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Learning to record,

Post by jnewlyn » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Ok. So I've had some time to play around with this Audacity program. I'm trying to learn how to record/pan/add effects/etc. I still haven't figured out how to center the track. The mic goes into the left or right side of the M-Audio interface (left side in this case) and then it looks like you can make a stereo track out of it but if you pan all the way to the right, you won't hear the source, or dry track. Only any effects that you've added. So I'm looking through things you can use and it's frickin insane. Eq-ing, compression, maximizing, exciters, delays, reverbs, echoes, flanging, chorus, phaser, Vintage VyNyl, and countless different nuances of each of these countless options. WTF? Anyway, The track "clean track w/effects" is the first one that I tried adding some subtle stuff just to give some ambiance and flavor. All the other tracks in this link are straight up dry and raw because I had never recorded anything and they were done just to try and demo an amp I built for a VHII sound. Any tips and suggestions are encouraged and welcome by all means. :D
Cheers to the ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Justin L

Re: Learning to record,

Post by Justin L » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:23 pm

I'm pretty handy at recording.

If you're recording a guitar cab with only 1 mic, you should use a mono channel, not stereo. 1 mic (or input) = 1 channel output. Is the M-Audio interface connected to a little mixer or anything? If a mixer is present, and you wanted a "stereo" track from 1 mic, you could keep the mic send panned dead center and send equally amounts of signal to both the left and right channel. Does that make sense?

jnewlyn

Post by jnewlyn » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Yep. I think I'm following you but the M-Audio interface goes straight into the computer. No mixer in between. I think that you're saying if I had a mixer, I could send a mono signal to the left and right channels.
Cheers to the ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Justin L

Post by Justin L » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:10 pm

jnewlyn wrote:Yep. I think I'm following you but the M-Audio interface goes straight into the computer. No mixer in between. I think that you're saying if I had a mixer, I could send a mono signal to the left and right channels.
Yep.

If you setup your input channel in Audacity to mono, you'll hear it in both speakers. Or you can keep the stereo setting and use 2 mics. One for the right channel, one for the left.

jnewlyn

Post by jnewlyn » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:04 pm

Justin L wrote:
jnewlyn wrote:Yep. I think I'm following you but the M-Audio interface goes straight into the computer. No mixer in between. I think that you're saying if I had a mixer, I could send a mono signal to the left and right channels.
Yep.

If you setup your input channel in Audacity to mono, you'll hear it in both speakers. Or you can keep the stereo setting and use 2 mics. One for the right channel, one for the left.
Awww, you beat me. I just figured that out. :lol: Cool stuff. This is fun.
Cheers to the ears.