Best windows based laptop for music production?

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

planetjimi

Best windows based laptop for music production?

Post by planetjimi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:12 pm

I want to get a laptop for music production. My destop has had it's day and it is time to update. I have too much invested in windows software, otherwise I'd go mac. So what is the best laptop these days for recording music? I'll be using sonar, and alot of sound libraries (virtual instruments ie. colosus, bfd, etc.) Thanks

planetjimi

Re: Best windows based laptop for music production?

Post by planetjimi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Maybe my question was too general? I guess what I really want to know is if there are any of you who are recording with a laptop and also using sound librarys? What laptop are you using succesfully and what is your setup? External hard drives and stuff like that.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:12 pm

I do use a laptop currently, with Sonar 6, but I don't play much with sound libraries......

Mine's a Dell Latitude 6500, but I confess it was part of the Master's degree program my wife enrolled in so I didn't have much choice. I'm using an Edirol FA-101 firewire interface with it.
I haven't had any real bad issues, although I'm not a very prolific recorder either. I think the most crucial elements are to trim all the unnecessary services and programs out when not needed, and make sure to shut off all networking when recording and during playback. Even for mp3's and YouTube stuff, the firewire interface glitches bad if networking is on (so obviously I don't see much YouTube on it.....) Hardware-wise it's plenty capable, just ensure the ventilation to keep it cool.

johniss0001
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by johniss0001 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 am

I have a 2 year old custom clevo type laptop with 2gb ram, dual core T7300 processor, 7400rpm hard drive the 7400rpm hard drive are the speed i recommend cause it's as fast as a pc hard drive, I record with sonar 8 professional and a roland edirol ua 25ex usb card and never had a single problem with latency etc but that laptop was a $3000 laptop 2 years ago. If i get another laptop it will be quad core from the same company they are insane specs but again $3000
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall