Logic or Reaper?

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Blues Rocker
Just the numbers in order: 7

Logic or Reaper?

Post by Blues Rocker » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:07 am

After months of research, I've boiled down my DAW software choice to either Logic or Reaper. I'm coming from 2" tape in the '60's-'70s so it's an eye-opening experience. Which of those two would you chose for a home studio for recording tracks of classic rock instruments?

I know I will have to put a few months minimum into the learning curve.

If I go Logic, I might start out with Garage Band to get the basics down.

I used to own a recording company decades ago so I'm familiar with pro recording concepts, just not the daw side of things.

stump

Re: Logic or Reaper?

Post by stump » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:26 pm

I love Reaper. I think that it's easy to figure out, works great and produces excellent results. Has a pretty good selection of plug ins to get you started. I've used a lot of different programs and I've never had it freeze up or loose anything that I've been working on. As well, it doesn't seem to use up all of the resources in a PC. It's a pretty clean platform. They offer a free trial, so go ahead and try it out for yourself. I don't think it will take a few months for you to figure out. :) You'll also need an audio interface, in case you didn't know. I use a Line 6 Toneport UX1 and it integrates very well with the PC and Reaper.

Blues Rocker
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Blues Rocker » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:10 am

Stump:
Thanks for the input. I will be getting either an iMac or a Mac Pro. I've already got a vintage Shure SM-57, Blue Baby Bottle w/Pop filter and shock mount, M-Audio Firepro 610, 2-50' ProCo mic cords, and the 15' that came with the SM-57.

Anything else you'd recommend?

What do you recommend for training videos for Reaper, if I go that route?
Last edited by Blues Rocker on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

stump

Post by stump » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:37 am

The help file in the program is pretty good. Here's a link to a bunch of tutorials on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... orial&aq=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; As well, if you purchase Reaper for personal or commercial use, the creator is good about answering questions. You can download the program as a full working demo that never expires, maybe you should load it on your PC and start messing with it. Experience is the best teacher. IMO I think that you should have some studio monitors and headphones, at least decent ones. An amp modeler can also be very handy for putting direct tracks down, bass or guitar. That's one reason that I recommend the Line 6 Toneport. It interfaces via USB, has Bass, Guitar and console modeling and works well with PC or MAC. I believe it also comes with POD Amp Farm which is excellent for re-amping tracks without all of the cords and volume. Beyond these things you're off to a good start. If you would like to chat more, PM me your name and phone number and I'll give you a shout.

Jeff

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:01 am

I downloaded Reaper to my computer (took about 5 seconds!) a couple of years ago on a friend's recommendation. After spending about 1 really interesting and fun day with it, I bought it.
Reaper's not the "be all and end all" of recording programs but there's nothing out there, for the money, that even comes close.

Give it a try, you'll enjoy it :D
Achieve the Possible!