Line 6 Gearbox Recording with Audacity

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Steve Mavronis
Just the numbers in order: 7

Line 6 Gearbox Recording with Audacity

Post by Steve Mavronis » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Ha! I finally figured out how to record guitar with my Line 6 Toneport GX from Gearbox to the free Audacity software. At first I was messing with the free version of Riffworks (T4) but that won't let you export your recording to a WAV file without purchasing the full version.

For Audacity, I had to go into preferences under Audio I/O and set both the playback and recording devices to Line 6 Toneport GX. The Line 6 guitar interface (Toneport) has to be plugged into the computer before running Audacity so you see the device choices in the list. If you use a different guitar computer interface (like Stealthplug or whatever)you'll have to look for similar choices matching your hardware.

Also I was practicing with a backing track (of Yngwie Malmsteen's Majestic Blue) loaded in Gearbox and playing along and was wondering why Audacity would only record my guitar only. Instead you have to load the backing track in Audacity and under preferences again select "Play other tracks while recording new one." I have the "Software Playthrough" unchecked so Audacity doesn't playback guitar while Gearbox is also playing or it will sound lagged and distracting.

With Gearbox I'm experimenting with the Pexi Lead 100 amp model (set for a clean sound) only using Gate, Delay, and Verb to test my 250 overdrive clone pedal that I built so I can record a small demo clip of how it sounds.

Anyway just wanted to pass on some tips for people new to recording guitar through a computer like myself.
Pedaltrain Mini: Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, Neo-Classic 3080 Compressor and 741 Overdrive, MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay, Boss RC-3 Loop Station