Compressing The Main Mix

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Compressing The Main Mix

Post by flemingmras » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:03 pm

Hey George(or anyone experienced with this), have you ever compressed the main mix? If so, when I dial it in what should I be listening for when I do it? Also can you post recommended settings for doing this?

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

dcaster

Compressing the Main Mix

Post by dcaster » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:16 pm

And, if you compress the main mix, how can you prevent compressing the monitor mix?

Eoin

Re: Compressing the Main Mix

Post by Eoin » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:42 pm

Auxilliaries are taken well before the master fader (or the master inserts) so it shouldn't be a problem. Unless your monitors are on a split from the master or something like that.

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:23 am

Monitor sends are typically taken from each channel pre-fader pre-EQ. Nothing to do with the board's master outs.

Anyone have an answer to the above question?

Jon

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:46 pm

Most live mixes won't benefit too much from compression, though some people prefer it.

If I had an extra compressor I'd throw it on the drum buss or backing vocal buss. That will fill out a mix without taking away the headroom for when you want to pump a vocal or guitar solo up.

With some PA's a limiter on the mains will get you more performance.

Remember, the difference between a compressor and a limiter is the attack, release and ratio.

A limiter typically has fast attack and release with a high ratio 10:1 or more.
It's used to grab momentary peaks.

A compressor will havea slower attack (usually 30ms or longer), a way longer release and a lower ratio. It lets the intial transients through and brings other levels up.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Eoin

Post by Eoin » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:31 pm

flemingmras wrote:Monitor sends are typically taken from each channel pre-fader pre-EQ.
I think they would actually be post-EQ in most cases.

What exactly has you thinking about compressing the master?

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:29 pm

I've heard of some FOH engineers compressing the main mix, but never knew why. I'm also using the dbx Drive/Rack PA, which is a loudspeaker management system. It has a compressor built in right before the X-over in the chain, with a multiband limiter after the X-over.

So I'm wondering what FOH engineers are trying to accomplish by compressing the master.

Jon

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:39 pm

The multi band limiter will give your more gain before clipping for each band. Nice for getting s little more of the rig.

More often I see sound companies setting the overall limiter and locking it so that freelance sound guys don't clip the power amps and blow shit up.

Compressing the mains is an easy way to sort of automix since everything gets the same dynamic treatment. The tradeoff is that when you push up a fader for a solo, everyhting gets squashed a little more.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

tonejones

Post by tonejones » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:19 pm

Compressing the mains is an easy way to sort of automix since everything gets the same dynamic treatment. The tradeoff is that when you push up a fader for a solo, everyhting gets squashed a little more.
It's also done by some sound companies to make the system sound bigger....If you put either 9db or 12db of compression on the main mix (can't remember which), with the make-up gain you make your current system sound twice as big/loud as usual.....(with a hard limiter for good measure, I'm sure)......

The down side of this is what happens to the drivers in your FOH cabs when this is done very often!!!!.........
Let's get going, 'cause there's too much music, too little time!!!!