Shure SM57 "Tape Op" Mod Audio Comparison

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Shure SM57 "Tape Op" Mod Audio Comparison

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:17 pm

rgorke wrote:
vanhalen5150 wrote:Just watching some of those fake SM57 vids..... :shock:

I'm starting to wonder about mine.....
yeah, I saw that too. I bought mine from the local shop and my grill spins...on my mic. :scratch:
The vid where the guy shows the box's. The fake box looks pretty familiar. He also said they are from a Canadian distributor that sells them on ebay. I got mine from a Canadian chain and paid $119.00 for each. If they are fakes I'm sure they didnt know. I think the grill spins on mine but he says they may have fixed that as well. He has a link to photo's of the inside circuit.

I just know mine do not sound great.
Attachments
692242558187d393dcf7b.jpg
692242558187d393dcf7b.jpg (48.29 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
12000 Metro Kit

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:14 pm

So, the broken mic I picked up I am pretty shure :) was a fake but all I wanted was the body so I didn't have to take out the transformer in my real SM57. I switched bodies so the real SM57 has the Tape Op mod to it. It really sound a lot better. It use to have a honk to it but not any more. I may do some A/B ing to convince myself.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Convention is pin 2 hot, 3 is -.

Don't think for a second that old mics sound better. Old doesn't mean shit to a piece of shit. Crap has always been crap, always will be. Modern mics might sound bad on average because the market is flooded with garbage made by slaves on third-hand CNC machines out of spurious materials and to an awful tolerance.

If you want to hear a real mic, get a golden era Sinatra recording. 57-62 or so. The golden years of German condensers. My knees are weak. I am such a big girl. Heh
not kicking the dead horse

inkomodo.dragon

Post by inkomodo.dragon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:15 am

In case you don't want to mess with your SM57 there's another (more civil) way of getting similar results. The idea is to lower the input impedance to a more healthy value (500R). You have to find out the input impedance of your mic preamp (in my case 1300 Ohms) and solder a specific resistor to ground (in parallel) effectively reducing the impedance. The value of the resistor required can be calculated with this formula:

Rp = (Rs*Rd)/(Rs-Rd)

Rp: Parallel resistor
Rs: Stock Input impedance
Rd: Desired input impedance

In my case Rs=1k3, Rd=500R so Rp=812R. I'm going to use a 820R 1% 1/2w metalfilm resistor.

You can implement this resistor in a couple of different ways. One would be to open the 57 and solder it inside. A more conservative way would be to place it inside a cable connector which would give you an easy way to A/B the sound change. You can also put it inside your mic preamp (not recommended).
Read THIS ARTICLE for a more detailed explanation.

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:09 am

AustinTx wrote: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E73QNHoPsqs[/youtube]
Jesus, that is night and day! Hook 'em 'Horns!

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:22 am

Just ordered a patch cable to try the resistor mod. Our band uses a behringer mixer and it appears to have a 20k input impedance, so I'm hoping that I get a big improvement from this.
inkomodo.dragon wrote:In case you don't want to mess with your SM57 there's another (more civil) way of getting similar results. The idea is to lower the input impedance to a more healthy value (500R). You have to find out the input impedance of your mic preamp (in my case 1300 Ohms) and solder a specific resistor to ground (in parallel) effectively reducing the impedance. The value of the resistor required can be calculated with this formula:

Rp = (Rs*Rd)/(Rs-Rd)

In my case Rs=1k3, Rd=500R so Rp=812R. I'm going to use a 820R 1% 1/2w metalfilm resistor.

You can implement this resistor in a couple of different ways. One would be to open the 57 and solder it inside. A more conservative way would be to place it inside a cable connector which would give you an easy way to A/B the sound change. You can also put it inside your mic preamp (not recommended).

HTH

Post by HTH » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:39 am

inkomodo.dragon wrote:In case you don't want to mess with your SM57 there's another (more civil) way of getting similar results. The idea is to lower the input impedance to a more healthy value (500R). You have to find out the input impedance of your mic preamp (in my case 1300 Ohms) and solder a specific resistor to ground (in parallel) effectively reducing the impedance. The value of the resistor required can be calculated with this formula:

Rp = (Rs*Rd)/(Rs-Rd)

I've read that same article and this is on my list of things to try as I do feel the need to cut some mids on the desk when I'm micing up my amp at gigs.

I'm using a slightly older desk (A&H GL3) with a 2k input on the mic channels, so I'll try a 470ohm resistor for around 380ohm input. Would be worth just putting a pot in parallel so you can tune it to ear, maybe as low as 250ohms up to whatever your desk's stock input impedance is.
"If you can possibly manage the time, please play both sides at one meeting"

http://www.youtube.com/TeleCustom72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;