Tone sample

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

inkomodo.dragon
Just the numbers in order: 7

Tone sample

Post by inkomodo.dragon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:08 am

A couple of bars resembling Curt Mitchell's "Just one Night" arrangement for the SRV video. Just assembled my Hosco partcaster with a Duncan Custom and vintage tremolo. I'm still struggling to stay in tune and the new strings are not helping :D

So, what do you think of the tone?

Just One Night (tone test)

Feel free to guess what gear was used...I'm going to tell soon enough :whistle:
Last edited by inkomodo.dragon on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stef

Re: Tone sample

Post by stef » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:09 pm

:thumbsup:

inkomodo.dragon

Post by inkomodo.dragon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks Stef!

inkomodo.dragon

Post by inkomodo.dragon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:55 pm

I've re-recorded the guitar and gave it the VH1 mixing treatment. Same guitar, same amp, same settings, same everything.
It sounds quite bigger now but boy was it hard to mix that way, I'm too accustomed to doubled guitars and felt one ear was going to explode this time :vh:
The take was kind of sloppy but serves the purpose...

Just One Night (VH1)

What do you think?

Did J
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Did J » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:43 pm

:thumbsup:

So what gear did you use?

inkomodo.dragon

Post by inkomodo.dragon » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:12 am

It's been a while since I posted those samples, I almost forgot this post existed.

Well the gear was:

The guitar was my trusty Hosco partscaster with vintage tremolo, sperzel locking tuners and a Duncan Custom in the bridge.
Guitar > ADA MP1 (modded) > Roland SDE-330 > Mesa 20-20 (heavily modded to Marshall spec) > 2x12 with RI G12Ms

I modded the MP1's input and tube stages to get a tighter Marshall tone with more articulation. The EQ was also tweaked a bit since the stock one is not tone-stacky enough.

The 20-20's has to be the worst power amp circuit ever built (that dyna-watt stuff is a load of BS). Don't get me wrong, it's built like a Russian tank but the design choices they took just screw up the tone and response. The presence should be labelled "Fizz". Other than that it's the best 2x15w poweramp around by far.
I started by changing one of the channels to 290 specs up until the grid stoppers and found it came alive. I even added the foot-switchable Deep and Modern circuit but didn't impress me all that much.
I guess I'm more of a Marshall guy so I ended up turning the other channel to Plexi spec so I could compare the tonal differences and boy was I happy.
If you ask me, Marshall power amps sound tight, angry and in your face. Mesa's power amps are mud-ville because they are obsessed with increased bass response. I just don't get the hole "resonance" circuits, the bass you get just isn't musical at all and end up screwing up your tone every time.

rawel34

Post by rawel34 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:59 am

inkomodo.dragon wrote:It's been a while since I posted those samples, I almost forgot this post existed.

Well the gear was:

The guitar was my trusty Hosco partscaster with vintage tremolo, sperzel locking tuners and a Duncan Custom in the bridge.
Guitar > ADA MP1 (modded) > Roland SDE-330 > Mesa 20-20 (heavily modded to Marshall spec) > 2x12 with RI G12Ms

I modded the MP1's input and tube stages to get a tighter Marshall tone with more articulation. The EQ was also tweaked a bit since the stock one is not tone-stacky enough.

The 20-20's has to be the worst power amp circuit ever built (that dyna-watt stuff is a load of BS). Don't get me wrong, it's built like a Russian tank but the design choices they took just screw up the tone and response. The presence should be labelled "Fizz". Other than that it's the best 2x15w poweramp around by far.
I started by changing one of the channels to 290 specs up until the grid stoppers and found it came alive. I even added the foot-switchable Deep and Modern circuit but didn't impress me all that much.
I guess I'm more of a Marshall guy so I ended up turning the other channel to Plexi spec so I could compare the tonal differences and boy was I happy.
If you ask me, Marshall power amps sound tight, angry and in your face. Mesa's power amps are mud-ville because they are obsessed with increased bass response. I just don't get the hole "resonance" circuits, the bass you get just isn't musical at all and end up screwing up your tone every time.
Very nice playing, at first.
So, the sound and style reminds me so much Jake E Lee and it has a lot of definition and fatness ... delicious. :clap: