PC stuck in endless re-boot cycle - XP

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Re: PC stuck in endless re-boot cycle - XP

Post by NY Chief » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:30 am

Good luck. Strat. This crap gets VERY frustrating.

I'm back up and running but not after a lot of hair pulling. My PC tech got the machine running and a tech at Sweetwater literllay spent hours ona remote access to upgrade, reconfigure troubleshoot my system. Last obstacle was PT would play then go into buffer hangup. Turned out top be the wifi card sucking up too much RAM. With the card disabled, PT seems to work ok now. But I stuck at running 7.4. Anything highr needs a new machine. I hate the way technology gets so obsolete so quickly, (like the minute it comes off the drawing board,,,err CAD station.... and here we are still playing with tubes!!! F@ck technology and it's palnned obsolesence!! :shock:
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Ferrari-Dude
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Ferrari-Dude » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi Chief,

I work in the IT industry and have lots of experience troubleshooting PC equipment and software systems.

Looking forward, I would definitely recommend a disk-based backup software, if you are going to keep your PC. I have had lots of good results by using Storage Craft Shadow Protect. Its about $100 US for a workstation license. You can purchase online and download it immediately. They will email you the software key.

I would use in the following manner:
1. Set a regular backup schedule, say once weekly and have the software backup the entire PC (full backup) to your external hard drive or similar device.

2. Run an incremental job periodically so that you capture changes to your data, etc...

3. If you are going to install software or make significant changes to the box, take a full backup "snapshot" both before and after you perform the upgrade. In most cases this will take only about 20 minutes for the average PC. If the poop hits the fan, you can regress to a previous point in time very easily. Storage Craft has a boot CD that you can build that will let you restore your entire PC.

Hope this advice helps going forward.

Best regards,
-Dono

1972 Marshall Super Bass
"Can you hear me now?"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:52 pm

Ferrari-Dude wrote:Hi Chief,

I work in the IT industry and have lots of experience troubleshooting PC equipment and software systems.

Looking forward, I would definitely recommend a disk-based backup software, if you are going to keep your PC. I have had lots of good results by using Storage Craft Shadow Protect. Its about $100 US for a workstation license. You can purchase online and download it immediately. They will email you the software key.

I would use in the following manner:
1. Set a regular backup schedule, say once weekly and have the software backup the entire PC (full backup) to your external hard drive or similar device.

2. Run an incremental job periodically so that you capture changes to your data, etc...

3. If you are going to install software or make significant changes to the box, take a full backup "snapshot" both before and after you perform the upgrade. In most cases this will take only about 20 minutes for the average PC. If the poop hits the fan, you can regress to a previous point in time very easily. Storage Craft has a boot CD that you can build that will let you restore your entire PC.

Hope this advice helps going forward.

Best regards,
Thanks, Dono. Will check it out.

Love your avatar. Was a big Senna fan myself. Just watched "Senna" again last week. RIP Ayrton.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Ferrari-Dude

Post by Ferrari-Dude » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:19 pm

NY Chief wrote:
Ferrari-Dude wrote:
Love your avatar. Was a big Senna fan myself. Just watched "Senna" again last week. RIP Ayrton.
There was not a dry eye in this house at the end of that movie, that much is sure. He was a huge talent.

If you have any PC issues, you can PM me.
-Dono

1972 Marshall Super Bass
"Can you hear me now?"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:25 am

Ferrari-Dude wrote:
NY Chief wrote:
Ferrari-Dude wrote:
There was not a dry eye in this house at the end of that movie, that much is sure. He was a huge talent.

If you have any PC issues, you can PM me.

Hear ya. Give any credence to the conspiracy theories about his death?

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Ferrari-Dude

Post by Ferrari-Dude » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:23 pm

NY Chief wrote:
Hear ya. Give any credence to the conspiracy theories about his death?
I believe that it was a snapped steering column. Senna requested some modifications to the shaft on Saturday practice. Williams attempted to shorten the shaft by removing a section and welding the two remaining sections together. I believe the weld snapped under stress going into Tamburello and then he had no control.

He was too good of a driver to make such a simple mistake. If you look at his reaction times to normal racing events on a track like Monaco, it was plain to see that he was always on top of the car. He instinctively knew what it was going to do BEFORE the car actually did something.

IMO - If the team would have just waited until they returned to the factory to make the requested changes, it would have been avoidable. They should have just created a new shaft out of one piece of extruded aluminum or steel. Nowadays teams like Ferrari x-ray all crucial mechanical components for stress related wear and manufacturing defects. This sort of thing rarely happens now due to better QC.
-Dono

1972 Marshall Super Bass
"Can you hear me now?"