Cool recording gear I seen at NAMM

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Cool recording gear I seen at NAMM

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:02 pm

I've been trying to find time to post about the cool gear I seen at the show.

Here are a few:

Universal Audio. I have the UAD 1 card and there are some amazing compressors on there. LA2A, 1176. Now there are some equally amazing reverb, the EMT 150 plate plug. And tape echo, Roland RE201.
Stereo spread, the Roland Dimension D.
Now, they have announced the Neve 1073 plugin......drool. I have very high hopes for this. I just hope it isn't a $500 plugin. Which it should be worth, but ouch!

UA also has dynamite hardware too. I would love a LA3 replica. But I won't have a budget for one anytime soon.

ADAM studio monitors. I went to their booth everyday to hear these things. The detail is astonishing. My Mackie HR824's sound silly by comparison. Another item I long for, but won't have a budget for in the near future. The P11's list around $2,800.

Drumagog. I have been a fan of this drum replacer for a long time. And it just keeps getting cooler.

Logic Audio 7. I was more than a little mad whan Apple bought Emagic and left us Windows users out in the cold. I'm stuck at version 5.5.1 forever. But when I do buy a Mac, this will be my first piece of software.
Amazing.

Royer 121 and 122 ribbon mics. I've used these before and always loved them. Another item on my long distant future wish list. Guitars sound right through these mics, period.

Apogee convertors and clocks. All the more reason to buy a mac for recording audio. New models feature direct implementation with Audio units and control from within software like Logic and Nuendo.

I'll post more as I think of it.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

BashCoder

Post by BashCoder » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:54 am

I keep wondering if there's a UAD-2 on the horizon. Any hints of that at NAMM?

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:00 am

Not at all. The general consensus is that UA bought a huge supply of these video proccessor cards and ported them to run plug ins. And that they won't actually develop another platform until they start to run out.
Shame, I can max out my card fairly easily.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

PJD

Post by PJD » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:27 pm

Hey George, I use Drumagog all the time and have salvaged MANY shitty tracks people give me to mix. I highly reccomend it. It kicks the crap out of SoundReplaceor.