How you guys recording ?

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

shmacky

How you guys recording ?

Post by shmacky » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:08 pm

Just curious how you guys are recording. I'm try to start...I had Guitar track pro 3 given to me but I need a way to get it to Computer. I need to keep it very simple and fairly cheap.
Some of the M-audio seems good for the option of direct in with supplied software or XLR for mic'ing. After reading some posts I also see the alesis mixer mentioned that comes with cubase (I think), but doesn't seem geared as much towards direct recording.
And will the M-audio software work with my guitar tracks software ?

Thanks,

Mike

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:00 pm

It should. See if your program's manufacture has a website with a support forum and ask there. I use an E-MU 1212M as my card and have a behringer 4 channel eurodesk mixer.

PJD

Post by PJD » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:50 pm

I have an M-Audio Delta 66 PCI Card and the "breakout box" that comes with it for my interface/converters, it has 4 in/4 out and sounds great. I use an M-Audio Audio Buddy pre-amp for mics or run my Yamaha DG stomp diectyl into the breakout box if I record guitars direct *quickly ducks to avoid flying produce
For software I swear by Adobe Audition (formerly Cool Edit Pro) works best, and sounds best.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:59 pm

anything you can afford from( more ins and outs - more mic pre's) m-audio will get you in the door to recording and doing it well. m-audio users are able to use Pro tools now as well. and really anything else you want to run. cubase - nuendo - cakewalk.
Mark

Bainzy

Post by Bainzy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:01 am

On a tight budget.

SM57 -> inexpensive mic pre (only £30 but much better than the DAW's digital pre) -> Boss BR1200CD DAW -> Usually to the PC where I use Audacity (free audio software) to convert wav to mp3 if needed, or edit any tracks before sending them back to the DAW.

Hopefully I'll be getting Cubase soon, my mate has a copy he's going to give us, it's just that he hasn't been up here in a few weeks.

I've just ordered some monitoring closed-ear headphones as I'm recording in my bedroom with the Plexi in hear at the same time, and I think the earphones that go in your ear may be giving me ear damage :roll: . The next purchase will be a Studio Projects B1 Condenser, that I'll get from the money my mates band are giving me to rent out the gear for a demo.
"I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you"

Shred Guitar
Plexi Mods - now with new forum, please join!

BashCoder

Post by BashCoder » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:12 am

Audacity is a great free program. Everyone should check it out. If you have a mic and an audio interface with a built-in preamp, it's all you need to record your sound bytes. As Bainzy points out, it's also a good utility for converting audio files.

shmacky

Post by shmacky » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:09 pm

I did pick up audacity awhile back. Thanks for the information fellas.