Live Marshall sound tips

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

tonejones

Live Marshall sound tips

Post by tonejones » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:27 am

Hey all,

I've been wanting to start this thread for awhile now.

We all know the sound of a guitar coming out of a HF horn can easily bite the big weenie of life!!!!!!

So this thread is for any little live sound apps. that our members might have regarding micing, EQing, comps., etc. that make these glorious sounding beasts have some justice in the live arena (pun not intended, but I'll take it) :D

The best luck I've had micing guitar cabs comes usiing a flat freq. response mic at close to a 90 degree angle near the edge of the cone (definitely not the usual, I know). Have tried the 57 in between the center cap and cone edge many times only to have it come out sounding waaay too bright in reference to the rest of the mix (bury the treble knob????).

I've not been lucky enough to play out live since getting my metro/misc. '69 clone rocking, but this premise (micing/EQing/etc.) plays on my mind quite a bit.......

Thanks in advance and looking forward to a great thread.....
Let's get going, 'cause there's too much music, too little time!!!!

45auto

Post by 45auto » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:52 am

i think this is a good thread. i havn't played out in years, but am doing alot of experimenting with miking in the home studio. it's amazing t the different variety of sounds that can be acheived moving that mike around. i just started adding a second condenser "room" mike & the change was phenomenal. & with the second mike, brings into play all the phase variations. it becomes nebulous all the variety that can be attained. i have to take break & come back with a fresh perspective. sorry, don't mean to hijack your live miking thread, just wanted to add.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=559714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/ ... t=1980.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tonejones

Post by tonejones » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:03 am

no prob.,

Hijack away!!!!!

I just think a guitarist can get really tired of working so hard on their tone to have it all be HF horn crap crap when playing out live!!!!

Any tips to doing these glorious sounding beasts sonic justice is more than welcomed!!!!! 8)

Bad Kitty

Post by Bad Kitty » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:31 pm

I never have to mic my amp live. Most of the places we play aren't that big. If my guitar isn't cutting through I just turn it up. The louder it gets the better it sounds. Outdoor gigs are the best. That's what Marshall full stacks are for. CRANK THAT MOTHER! :twisted:

Studio micing is another thing though. After trying my hand at it a few times I'm about ready to throw in the towel and (*gasp*) go to an actual studio. I don't really have an extra $2000 laying around to go buy a mic and good preamp. To many things to buy first.

Mike
Never settle for an amp thats smaller then you are.

tonejones

Post by tonejones » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:38 am

Bad Kitty wrote:I never have to mic my amp live. Most of the places we play aren't that big. If my guitar isn't cutting through I just turn it up. The louder it gets the better it sounds. Outdoor gigs are the best. That's what Marshall full stacks are for. CRANK THAT MOTHER! :twisted:
Mike
I like your take on it!!!!!!!

If it is at all possible, that's what I'll do :D

With that being said, anyone with eq-ing tips, etc. they want to pass along???

Mantegna

Post by Mantegna » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:30 pm

I had a question for you guys...I have a Marshall 100watter and I was considering experimenting with plywood or plexiglass at shows to control stage volume...so I can crank the mother at the same time getting a good sound in the house, and controlling stage volume. I am a huge Joe Bonamassa fan and he always does this...and I tell ya...his sound and clarity are better than any guitarist I have ever heard at high volumes...you have to hear him live. Anyone else out there have exp with the plexiglass shields?!? I play 100+ times a year at various sized venues and this seems like it would really be beneficial.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:59 pm

I've got a bunch of 5/16" thick plexiglas I've been meaning to make baffles with but I haven't had the time yet.
I feel the SM57 pain though, I hate dealing with them. If I get to playing out again I'll probably combine baffles with the Oktava LDC mics I've been posting clips with.

Rickey_Dee
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Rickey_Dee » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:20 pm

our foh-tech always used a sennheiser md-421 and/or a audix (i guess) ribbon mic for guitars... i really don't know how it sounded to the crowd 'cause i always was on stage, so... :lol: the only thing i can say why he preferred the sennheiser over the sm57 is the fact that i gives more low end, he always said that you can "feel the guitar, and not only 'hear' it".
Builds:

Metroamp 50W Lead Plexi
BYOC Tri-Boost

tbc...

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:32 am

I'm using a 4x12 w/beamblockers and sm57s. somethimes the cab aint miked though
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39