Interactive 45/100 build journal?

Product sales, customer service, and announcements.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

monsterwalley

Post by monsterwalley » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:50 pm

I can understand the "seasoned vets" attitude towards some of the redundant questions that pop up. I try to use the search function and most of the time it's a total pita but its still usefull and is where I find much of my info.

But I personally don't mind the redundant questions. I look at them as a personal test to see if I can correctly diagnose or answer them (to myself of course) I am a definate newbie even though I,ve been lurking a few years.
jim

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:00 pm

I think the crappy search function and same questions over and over are just as frustrating for newbies as it is for the veterans. The key here is that we need a better way to organize all this info and make it easy to find.

What do we need to try the blog idea? Just some web space and basic coding?

VG
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:15 pm

Just thinking aloud but an alternative to the blog idea could be to maybe set up a metro "wiki" for the various amps. Either way, you could incorporate into the main metro site. For a free and robust blog CMS, you could look into Textpattern if you want to host it yourself. Wordpress is also popular but costs a little bit. If you want an externally hosted one, then something like blogger could work but I I always find those types of sites pretty cheezy. I'm sure there are more but the first two are pretty popular for php-based sites.

S.Marshall
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by S.Marshall » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:37 am

Maybe you could set it up like this:

Like mentioned earlier, seperate the build into sections and keep it strict. Maybe give each section it's own moderator. Keep a temporary sticky on each section until you feel each section is saturated with info.

At this point have the moderators get together and pick out the pictures of choice and assemble a permanent, complete build sticky or ??containing the "Best of the Best" if you will. Weed out mistakes etc. and either leave in certain explanations that were posted or write new ones completely, giving credit to the builders for their input on the section or something. Then the builders that made the final cut can add sound clips.

I think the final product would be pretty cool. The Best of the Best and the rest DELETED!

Roe

Post by Roe » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:22 am

couldn't we just separate the section in the same way that its done in the 50w instructions (or in the 100w or jtm45 instructions)?
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:24 am

Im actually going to jump on it today. Just by pure coincidence Im going to be home most of today tho I cant dedicate the whole day but I can get started. Ill go by the 69 instructions. The most time consuming thing will be the clearing off my bench of shit to make room to work.

Maybe I was a little harsh calling the redundant questions laziness, the phpbb search is at best a pain the ass, but for my part I always answer them the best I can instead of saying 'use the search' like a lot of people do. Ill resort to starting a thread when I know the answer is there to be found myself, but I admit its because Im lazy 8)
S.Marshall wrote:I think the final product would be pretty cool. The Best of the Best and the rest DELETED!
Theres something to be said for that. Let the thread ramble on but at some point go back and trim out what isnt clearly relevant or useful.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:53 am

Stifled already! I forgot to get bolts for the transformers. Thought I had them. Ill have to hit the HW shop later.

shakti

Post by shakti » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:12 am

I think this is an excellent suggestion.

I agree that a forum section devoted to this topic, with stickies dedicated to each step and then at least some kind of moderator editing will be the best solution. That does mean some work for George and/or other moderators to set this up, but it will be an invaluable resource for the future. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have similar sections for other builds, i.e. 10-series, 12-series, JTM45, JMP50 etc. Lots of variations out there, it can give people an idea of the options available, how to implement Metroamp parts with other manufacturers' builds and vice versa.

54strat

Post by 54strat » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:28 am

I appreciate the patience shown by the vast majority of "experts" toward the "newbies" and others asking questions here. Some will go ahead and answer a question that's been asked for the umpteenth time, others will post a link to the thread with the answer which is cool too. I quit going to King's X forums and other band forums because of the snotty "I'm a bigger fan than you are" attitudes and people sniping at each other. I don't see that sort of thing here. We're all here to learn and help right?

gutpile

Post by gutpile » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:28 am

Here are some thought starters???

1.) Setup and Organization: unpacking, work area setup/prep, organization, reference sheets, tools, etc...
-I think seeing the way other people prepare for a build will be a good teach...

2.) Outside the chassis: before you get into the guts... OT's, PT's, choke, tube sockets, face plates

3.) Transformer Wiring: PT, OT, including power/stnby switches, impedence switches, fuse holders

4.) Jacks & Pots: input/output, control pots

5.) Circuit Boards: Main & filter caps

6.) Bringing it all together: board installation, connecting the choke, pots, board wires to tube sockets, etc...

7.) Voltage Testing

8.) Biasing

9.) Fine Tuning: mods made to find the perfect tone

10.) Grounding: questions on this this always seems to come up along the way

In each section maybe have a sticky called "Lessons Learned" so people can post their mistakes and or tips to help them with a smooth build... What do you think?
Metro Clips
Amps:Metro-(JTM45,50w,'69 spec 100w,45/100,100wMV,Bluesbreaker Combo),Orig. 65BFTR
Axes:LP Custom,Am. Strat,Am. Tele,61 SGRI

myfoot

Post by myfoot » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:50 am

Sounds like a great idea to me. I haven't heard when mine's shipping yet so I think I'll head out to the camper for the weekend and catch up on some r and r

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:22 am

I just got started. Already I realized I did a bad job of making sure I had everything I need. :roll: I need a PT braket, ground tabs, and trany bolts. But Im still moving forward.
Attachments
04-25-08_1016.jpg
(363.85 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:46 am

Added to gutpiles list...

1. Heater wire tips (Dan's above are TIGHT!)

2. Build a jig first! Like this... :wink:
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:10 am

OK I set up a forum category for this.

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewforum.php?f=32

Let's give it a try. Anyone who wants moderator permission, just email me.

VG
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

monsterwalley

Post by monsterwalley » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:38 pm

Your work area looks waaaaay to clean there chief! :P
Attachments
dsc02286_203.jpg
dsc02286_203.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
jim