The post I hoped I'd never have to write....

Product sales, customer service, and announcements.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

The post I hoped I'd never have to write....

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Well guys, it's time to accept the inevitable. As painful as this is for me, I must discontinue amp kits for good. I'll try to keep the cables and FX loops available in the Metroamp store.

Late this Sunday night I'll be taking the kits down. If you place an order before they are gone, please know that it might take several weeks for them to ship. After Thursday December 23rd it will be only myself here to wrap up any Metroamp obligations. Dave will no longer be with us.

It's sad that Metroamp became a liability rather than a profitable part of my business, the products are great I just didn't demand a reasonable business model. The margins were way too slim on parts of this caliber to be sustainable. Back in the days before I was married and had children I could work 70-80 hours per week and make things happen, this also was not sustainable.

Many of the issues with Metroamp could have been solved and I have worked diligently, and sacrificed almost everything personally trying to make it work. But the nature of the problems and the timing, especially over the last year have been far too much to overcome. As it is my plexi replica builds have been bailing out the failing Metroamp business for over two years. Dave has been driving over an hour each way and working for free because he believes in the products and thought we could turn it around. He can't do this any longer and I am forever indebted to him for his effort and sacrifice.

Events in my personal life only exacerbate the situation. I haven't shared this info out of respect for my family's privacy, but it needs to be mentioned here. All this year I have been going through a divorce and dealing with all that comes with that horrible experience. It is far from over right now and will continue to demand much of my time and energy. I've devoted lots of my time to helping my young children (4 year old Daughter and 1 year old Son) cope and adjust to the new arrangement. This will remain my #1 priority and business may have to adjust accordingly.
It's vital that I find a compatible balance between work and being a single Dad. I also can no longer sacrifice basic essentials like health insurance, a reliable vehicle, etc in an effort to just hold on until things get better.

It's beyond difficult to see this part of the business, which I started and ran for 8 years with my blood, sweat and soul, come to it's end.

I still believe in the products, I know they are highest quality because I have always demanded it. If an opportunity arises to make them available to you in the future I will do all that I can to make it happen. If the right person were to approach me about buying Metroamp, or licensing the rights to sell the kits, I would seriously consider it. I've been disappointed not to be able to meet your needs over the last several months and I hate to see a demand for items I can't supply. There is a working business model in there, I've just ran out of time and resources to find it.

I hope the sincerity I feel writing this will come through. I hope you can always view Metroamp as a company based on obsessive attention to details, reverence for classic amplifiers and dedication to great customer service.

Moving forward, I'll be running plexi replicas, doing some contract manufacturing, hanging at amp shows, spending time with my kids, wrapping up my divorce, looking to buy a home to raise my kids in, finally starting to address some ongoing health issues I've tended to ignore, offering the Metroamp forum for all of your amp community needs and taking head-on whatever life throws my way.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: The post I hoped I'd never have to write....

Post by Roe » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:24 pm

George, its sad but I understand this may be necessary. I'm proud to own 6 metroamps.
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 pm

I've got three of your kits, they rock. Wish I needed more to help out but I'm pretty well set now.

Let me know if there's any way I can help you out, George.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

reno88

Post by reno88 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:35 pm

George,

I am sorry to hear of these developments in your personal and professional life. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. You and your staff at Metro are the best in product, knowledge, and customer support. I'll keep my eye on Metro - I still have yet to place an order for a Plexi!!

All the best to you and yours.

Steve

axeman

Post by axeman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:37 pm

Sorry to hear that. That is a lot to go threw and put up with, and it's not your fault thousands of people are going threw similar economical situations. I wish you and your family the best of luck.

Art

toner

Post by toner » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:43 pm

George,
First of all, thank you so much for all that you do for the amp building community. You are a great asset to the industry. I'm sorry to hear about this but it sounds like you have your priorities in order.

I wish you all the best and hope that this will be a positive new start for you and your family!

Even though the forum has declined recently, I hope you will be able to keep it available, maybe with donations to help support it. There are a lot of good people here and I have learned a lot. I would hate to see it go.

Take care and God Bless. :)

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:03 pm

That is very bad news all around. But your first obligation is to your kids and yourself. You have given so much so far, so I fully understand your need to cut your losses and regroup. Hope it all turns out well for you, and maybe someday Metro´s kit business will rise again when the economy is better, and you have the resources. Take care, my friend.
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

Clammy

Post by Clammy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Very sorry to hear this, George. Best wishes for whatever you do in the future.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:17 pm

Many, many thanks folks. Your understanding and support mean more to me than you can imagine. I really do feel like I"m letting each and every one of you down in some way. That's just how personally I take this.

If/when it makes sense to offer the kits in the future you have my word that I will.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Hey George

The kits are just bits of metal and plastic! Your family and your health are much more important.

I think that we are more upset to see the part of the business that got you started with so much effort and energy, which drew most of us here go into mothballs.

The timing of the whole world economy tanking has no doubt had a huge influence and in better times a business selling such high quality kits with such excellent back up and support would be going from strength to strength.

I think of this everytime someone who has a Weber or Ceriatone kit or homebrew calls you up or drops into the forum for advice and assistance - they never seem to get turned away just helped and guided like everyone else, it has seemed more of a community than a business

My annexe is half full of Marshalls and Metro amps because of you. If I had not bought that first board kit I might still be playing through a Fender HRD :shock: and I suspect that, if in the future, I need to thin out it will be Marshalls that go before the Metros!!

Good luck with Plexireplicas and a more balanced lifestyle.
Neil

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:58 pm

I don't feel let down by the smallest bit. The contrary, you surprised me. You always replied to my emails as quickly as you could. Also, the amp is just magnificent.
I just recorded that Have a Drink on Me cover with it, but I realize now you can't possibly care about it right now.
I know I wouldn't.
We all had personal life issues (I had tons!) and relationships gone bad (I had tons!) so I think we grown ups have a rough idea about what you are going through. I have a son and a daughter too, just about the same age as yours, and the thought of splitting up destroys me. Just the thought of it. I guess I can go by intuition therefore.

You have my respect and admiration.

Love,

Yours,

Fil :)

Stretchy

Post by Stretchy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:15 pm

This is a sad day!

I'm so glad I got to at least make one of those before this.

I hope you the best in your life man, this ain't an easy time for you. Thnaks for everyhting you've done.

I'd be happy to host a forum for this crowd if the need may be on my own servers, the spirit need to live on!

62sg

Post by 62sg » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:29 pm

George, very sorry to hear about all of this. I have a good feeling you'll be back...and better than before!
John
JOHN

bigsmitty

Post by bigsmitty » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Bummer. :( Good luck George!

justonwo

Post by justonwo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:46 pm

George, it's been a while since I've been active on this forum, but I loved every minute of my Plexi build and still love the tone. Thanks for offering these great kits to so many of us for so long.

I'm sorry to hear about your divorce, particularly as it involves young kids. I hope you come out in a good place.