David Bray, Metro amp mod sound clip

Product sales, customer service, and announcements.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:22 pm

how come no one has asked about which master volume this is? did he change it into jcm 800 ?

show a chassis shot already... sheesh
Last edited by rockstah on Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swissross

Post by swissross » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:24 pm

robert wrote:Yes, you have- otherwise the forum members will occupy Dayton...
Just bring a covered dish.. and maybe some beers.

swissross

Post by swissross » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:30 pm

rockstah wrote:how come no one has asked about which master volume this is? did he change it into jcm 800 ?
When we were discussing the sound that I was looking for, I was referencing some clips on his site. Those clips had both channels pegged, so I can only assume this recording was done the same way. I should have more info when the amp is returned to me in a week or so.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:49 pm

swissross wrote:
rockstah wrote:how come no one has asked about which master volume this is? did he change it into jcm 800 ?
When we were discussing the sound that I was looking for, I was referencing some clips on his site. Those clips had both channels pegged, so I can only assume this recording was done the same way. I should have more info when the amp is returned to me in a week or so.
nice!

Lou

Post by Lou » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:06 pm

Keep us posted swiss!!!
Lou
Toronto Canada
Metro 1959 X 2; Metro 1987 x 2 ; Metro JTM45; Metro '68 12xxx x 2;Metro 412 Slant 12M Heritage
1980 Gibson Heritage Elite WCR Pickups; 1980 JVSquire Strat; G&L Legacy ; Metro 412 Slant G12M Heritage
www.houseofnot.com

pongo316

Post by pongo316 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:38 pm

Yes please those are great clips would be intrested in what has been done,

internally and the master would be intresting, eaither way the amps sounds killer.

:D :D :D

swissross

Post by swissross » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:29 pm

Sorry fellas, this is going to have to be kept to myself. Just wanted to update you in case someone was waiting for more information. David asks all clients to keep his modifications confidential and not distribute photographs or schematics as they are proprietary. I'm sure you can understand. If this was something that I had done myself I would have no problem with it, but because this is the work of someone who has spent years perfecting their art and has a business doing these modifications, I hope you can see, as I do, why he doesn't want his work to be freely distributed on the internet.

Sounds awesome though... Very very sweet.

robert

Post by robert » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:38 am

Hi swissross,

I understand... does he use the same kind of goop that Howard Dumble had used to hide his circuit secrets? :P

Just kidding...

Robert

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:28 am

swissross wrote:Sorry fellas ..... but because this is the work of someone who has spent years perfecting their art and has a business doing these modifications, I hope you can see, as I do, why he doesn't want his work to be freely distributed on the internet.
This I can very very good understand :wink:
swissross wrote:Sounds awesome though... Very very sweet.
And this we've already heared. Yep! Great sound! :D

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

pongo316

Post by pongo316 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:58 pm

Got the amp back yet ?

Its to bad we cann't take a peek inside or a description of whats been done, but thats undertandable as to why.

(kinda glad, as it would be awfull not to be able to keep on tweeking as I've only just started , but the amp sure did sound nice)

Hows the tone now, if youve got the amp back?

Maybe post sopme of your own clips if possable so they can be compared to Davids clips that you previously posted.

Cheers & enjoy

swissross

Post by swissross » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:59 pm

robert wrote:Hi swissross,

I understand... does he use the same kind of goop that Howard Dumble had used to hide his circuit secrets? :P

Just kidding...

Robert
Actually without getting into much detail, yes. But as with anyone who has built one of these kits it's easy to see what has changed from the original circuit and what kinds of parts were used for the modifications. It's quite interesting really. The parts that were masked could be 'reverse engineered' with some good electrical equipment (which I just happen to have a couple benches full of), but I'm more interested in playing the amp at this point that figuring that out. If something breaks and I have to start fixing things, then I might start looking into it more than I have currently.

But I gotta say, if anyone wants to modify their Metroamp kit, it's expensive but well worth the investment, and I think that investment is the key word. I'll never get rid of this amp and it sounds so unbelievably good now. I shelved all of my effects except my Holier Grail reverb and an old MXR 10 band EQ that I use through a bypass box. Couldn't be happier.

swissross

Post by swissross » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:03 pm

pongo316 wrote:Got the amp back yet ?

Hows the tone now, if youve got the amp back?

Maybe post sopme of your own clips if possable so they can be compared to Davids clips that you previously posted.

Cheers & enjoy
It sounds unbelieveable. A friend was supposed to come over today with a Shure SM57 and a mic stand but I can't get ahold of him. As soon as I get that, I'll be sure to post some clips from my own gear.

pongo316

Post by pongo316 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:10 pm

swissross
Actually without getting into much detail, yes. But as with anyone who has built one of these kits it's easy to see what has changed from the original circuit and what kinds of parts were used for the modifications. It's quite interesting really. The parts that were masked could be 'reverse engineered' with some good electrical equipment (which I just happen to have a couple benches full of), but I'm more interested in playing the amp at this point that figuring that out. If something breaks and I have to start fixing things, then I might start looking into it more than I have currently.

But I gotta say, if anyone wants to modify their Metroamp kit, it's expensive but well worth the investment, and I think that investment is the key word. I'll never get rid of this amp and it sounds so unbelievably good now. I shelved all of my effects except my Holier Grail reverb and an old MXR 10 band EQ that I use through a bypass box. Couldn't be happier.
Good to see your happy with it sounderd like a keeper from the start.

Now you got me thinking if I should maybe send mine over but I'm In Australia might be a bit expencive.

But it sure sounds like it would be worth it.

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:13 am

swissross wrote:Sorry fellas, this is going to have to be kept to myself. Just wanted to update you in case someone was waiting for more information. David asks all clients to keep his modifications confidential and not distribute photographs or schematics as they are proprietary. I'm sure you can understand. If this was something that I had done myself I would have no problem with it, but because this is the work of someone who has spent years perfecting their art and has a business doing these modifications, I hope you can see, as I do, why he doesn't want his work to be freely distributed on the internet.

Sounds awesome though... Very very sweet.
You are paying for him to perform these modifications, right? Most of us on this board have been through this debate with the big secret Caswell mod. I find this to be a very short-sighted business model. Sharing the design would do nothing but increase the interest in his work. With that, his name gets attached to the mod, and no matter how many people copy his design, he still has his name on the mod and that many more people will want HIM to do it. But, it's his business and he can run it whatever way he wants. I think he's losing out.

You obviously have the right to respect his wishes, but if you pay for him to work on your amp, you should be able to freely do whatever the hell you want with it.

swissross

Post by swissross » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:28 pm

You obviously have the right to respect his wishes, but if you pay for him to work on your amp, you should be able to freely do whatever the hell you want with it
It was a request not a demand, and I'll honor his request. Same thing I would do for you if you had done the mod for me and didn't want the information to be made public. Simple as that.