100 watt OT in a 50 watt plexi?

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

gibbs
Just the numbers in order: 7

100 watt OT in a 50 watt plexi?

Post by gibbs » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:57 am

I have a ceriatone 50 watt plexi which I'm not completely happy with. I mean, it sounds incredible, but it's just not quite what I want. It's lacking low end. Basically, I made the wrong choice in buying the 50 watt, when I should have gone for the 100 watt. I just have it a month, so selling it now & buying the 100 watt is not something I'm prepared to do, as I'd lose a lot of cash on it.

I've seen it mentioned on here & on the ceriatone forum that a 100 watt OT in a 50 watt amp can get close to the 100 watt sound. Is this true, & is it possible? Has anyone done it? If so, does it require a lot more than just swapping out OTs?

I've just bought a Zero-Loss effects loop. I'm not sure if I'll install it myself, as I've no experience working on amps - Nik put mine together for me - but if it's worthwhile changing the OT, I'd like to do it at the same time I install the loop.

I'm running the head into a 1960AX cab via a hotplate on -8db. I've tried it without the hotplate & it's the same (but really, really loud!). I definitely do not feel there's a fault with the amp - it sounds almost perfect, so I don't want to alter it much. I just want it to have more balls.

My guitar is usually a les paul standard, & I play mostly classic rock type music - Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, Free, etc. - yes, I know, all 100 watt users!

I appreciate any help with this. I've posted on the ceriatone forum without reply, so I'm banking on you guys!

Thanks

Brian Wallace
Supporting Advertiser

Re: 100 watt OT in a 50 watt plexi?

Post by Brian Wallace » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:55 am

Check out the Mojave Scorpion 50W. It has a 100W OT in a 50W amp.
Patience is a virtue.

Wallace amps

Wallace forum

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:40 pm

If you're gonna run a 100 watt OT in a 50 watt, you'll need to double your load impedance to achieve the proper plate load. In other words, use the 8 ohm tap to run a 16 ohm cab or the 4 ohm tap to run either a single 8 ohm or two 16 ohm cabs. Other than that you should be good.
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

gibbs

Post by gibbs » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:20 am

Is it actually worth doing? Will it get me close to the sound of the 100 watt? & will it physically fit in the cab?
flemingmras wrote:If you're gonna run a 100 watt OT in a 50 watt, you'll need to double your load impedance to achieve the proper plate load. In other words, use the 8 ohm tap to run a 16 ohm cab or the 4 ohm tap to run either a single 8 ohm or two 16 ohm cabs. Other than that you should be good.
So I won't be able to use my 16 ohm hotplate? I'm using a 16 ohm cab.

planetjimi

Post by planetjimi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:12 pm

gibbs wrote:Is it actually worth doing? Will it get me close to the sound of the 100 watt? & will it physically fit in the cab?
flemingmras wrote:If you're gonna run a 100 watt OT in a 50 watt, you'll need to double your load impedance to achieve the proper plate load. In other words, use the 8 ohm tap to run a 16 ohm cab or the 4 ohm tap to run either a single 8 ohm or two 16 ohm cabs. Other than that you should be good.

You can use the 16 ohm hot plate w/16ohm cab. Just turn the amp to 8ohm. What you can't do is use a 4 ohm hotplate and cab because you do not have a 2ohm setting.

My question is this: Will this sound like a 100 watter with two tubes pulled?

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:07 pm

planetjimi wrote:
gibbs wrote:Is it actually worth doing? Will it get me close to the sound of the 100 watt? & will it physically fit in the cab?

You can use the 16 ohm hot plate w/16ohm cab. Just turn the amp to 8ohm. What you can't do is use a 4 ohm hotplate and cab because you do not have a 2ohm setting.
+ 1. You just won't have a 4 ohm setting.
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

gibbs

Post by gibbs » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:17 pm

So, is it worth doing? How much difference will it make?

gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:04 pm

I've built amps with oversized OT's and it does make a difference---- one single channel hotrodded MNV 50 watt circuit with oversized (320-0-320 VAC @ 450mA) PT (and increased first stage filtering for a lo/no sag power supply) and oversized OT (amp runs EL34x2) has been used for a couple of yrs by a local player in a very loud band----and in another, new band.
It has a punchier, wider range response than a 50 watter but it doesn't have the depth and power of a true 100 watter. If you're looking for 100 watt tone and feel then only the 100 watt PT and OT, filtering, and four output tubes will get you there.
I think that just adding a 100 watter OT to an amp with 50 watt PT, etc is a very expensive way to get a little more extension of bandwidth.
But it might be just what you're looking for----- if you already have the 100 watt OT, give it a try--- just be sure to jog the output impedance as already suggested..................gldtp99

gibbs

Post by gibbs » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:56 am

I haven't bought the 100 watt OT yet, and I doubt I will now. I don't want to spend time & money replacing the PT & OT, & still end up with an amp I'm not completely satisfied with.

I'm going to put my amp up for sale, & hopefully reclaim most of what I paid for it.

Thanks for the advice.