Are my dead transformers paper weights?

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Doug H

Are my dead transformers paper weights?

Post by Doug H » Sun May 09, 2010 2:06 am

45/100 OTs that are partially damaged I'm pretty sure. I don't want to talk about how :oops:

Can anything be done? or is this an art project. I'd rewind them myself in front of the tv by hand, I'd even be willing try and do it without taking the core apart, slow ya, but I could get through one I think. It's just getting the paper, the wire etc...seems like it's just not worth 200 bones to bother.

Any suggestions? they both still "worj" one of thems shy on bass, the other on bottom end punch. I wasn't actually sure the 2nd was damaged until I hooked up the 1998 and heard the bottom end thump, that's when I knew for sure. Athe first one just sounds like crap.

Mars Hall
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Are my dead transformers paper weights?

Post by Mars Hall » Sun May 09, 2010 4:50 am

Mecury Magnetics can refurbish old iron. Not sure of the cost, but might be worth it to keep a vintage piece all original.
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

Doug H

Re: Are my dead transformers paper weights?

Post by Doug H » Sun May 09, 2010 3:23 pm

I should havbe said they''re clones, nothing worth big doillars to restore at $200 a pop shipped.