OT long run for primaties or secondaries?

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Doug H

OT long run for primaties or secondaries?

Post by Doug H » Sat May 01, 2010 9:03 pm

So with a OT that has the leads 90 degrees to the chassis, which I think is typically the case on jtm 45s and 50 waters, should the speakjer leads be the short runs or the long runs. Most pics I've seen say the short runs and have the output tube connections runninf the lwidth of the chassis. I've seen a couple pics with the speaker leads starddling the chassis though.

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: OT long run for primaties or secondaries?

Post by flemingmras » Sun May 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Doug H wrote:So with a OT that has the leads 90 degrees to the chassis, which I think is typically the case on jtm 45s and 50 waters, should the speakjer leads be the short runs or the long runs. Most pics I've seen say the short runs and have the output tube connections runninf the lwidth of the chassis. I've seen a couple pics with the speaker leads starddling the chassis though.
It doesn't matter. You're talking a difference of roughly 3" in wire length...not enough to even matter in terms of wire ampacity.

Not gonna make a tone difference either.
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Sun May 02, 2010 3:29 pm

I would have thought maybe one would be more succeptable to picking up noise than the other. IN any event, I'm gonna make the primaries the long run, that seems to be the norm.

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by flemingmras » Sun May 02, 2010 5:04 pm

Doug H wrote:I would have thought maybe one would be more succeptable to picking up noise than the other. IN any event, I'm gonna make the primaries the long run, that seems to be the norm.
Nope. You're not gonna end up with noise on a speaker output for one, and for two the primary side is being ran push/pull so you get common mode rejection there.
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Sun May 02, 2010 8:40 pm

It's a self lead tranny, so at least the short speaker runs will keep skin effect to a minimum

bwahahahaha, just kidding :)