Bigger transformers (orange/EVH)

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

The Alien
Just the numbers in order: 7

Bigger transformers (orange/EVH)

Post by The Alien » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:07 pm

I am looking around for parts for my first amp build, i will experiment quite a lot with the preamp so i'm not exactly sure what parts to buy for that but i'm fairly sure about the power stage.

Orange make the transformers in their thunderverb 200 a big selling point, they say that this is the source of the amp's huge tight bottom end, how much of this is true and would this transformer work in a marshall jcm/super lead design?

(quote from orange)
"A full three-inch ‘Dual Snake 8′ transformer ensures that the bottom end is kept fast and tight and the upper mids and top end are kept sweet and musical at any volume"
This sounds like everything i want out of an amp but i have no idea where to find this output transfo (or a clone of it).

I'm also certain about the tubes (jj KT 88) they seem to sound great in anything i've heard them in.

EVH apparently also wanted BIG transformers in the 5150 3 but i do not know anything about those.
Also in the 5150 3 they used a highwattage resistor instead of a choke ,can anyone explain if this is any good in a jcm800 or super lead?
"I don't give a fuck if you boo, as long as you boo in key..." J.M.Hendrix

The Alien
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Bigger transformers (orange/EVH)

Post by The Alien » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Has anyone here ever used bass amp (or very big) output transformers in a guitar amp and what where the results?
"I don't give a fuck if you boo, as long as you boo in key..." J.M.Hendrix

wizard_23
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Bigger transformers (orange/EVH)

Post by wizard_23 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm

The Alien wrote:Has anyone here ever used bass amp (or very big) output transformers in a guitar amp and what where the results?
I too am interested in the results. HiWatt's have their own thing going on in terms of circuit, but those big wide frequency range Partridge transformers seem to be a key to the BIG sound.

I've heard that a Laney Supergroup is along the lines of a Plexi with big iron and high plate voltages. I'm also intrigued by amps like the Wizard Modern Classic which seems to use over spec'd trannies. It definitely sounds tight. I'm on the lookout for a MCII but I'm also considering beefy iron on my Ceriatone Yeti. :scratch:

With the circuit you're building though, what are you thinking for the NFB loop? I just switched my Yeti over to the 16 ohm tap from the 8, same 39k resistor, but it gives the increased NFB resulting in a harder, tighter, more kick in the balls rocking E chords tone. 27k into 16ohm is definitely something to consider.