Custom fit Bodies /neck pockets

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Custom fit Bodies /neck pockets

Post by JimiJames » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:24 pm

I'm trying to fit a body around a neck. I'm waiting for Mitch @ KNE to get back to me after the curve I threw him.
I want to fit a Fender HM neck to a traditional Stratocaster body or the Azusa Frank.
Would a problem be that it's a 24 fret ? It will seat different for intonation .. I don't care.
I assume it's a matter of an upcharge to reprogram the CNC machine. :what:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Tone Slinger

Re: Custom fit Bodies /neck pockets

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:53 pm

I think your assumption is correct. Hell, a HM Strat neck is basically very similar to Ed's Ellsworth neck anyways. Maybe take a measurement from the neck pocket to the bridge on your HM body, then do the same on a standard Fender strat body. If all is the same, then I'd only worry about the neck pickup route.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Yeah, Thanks Bro, but taking in consideration I haven't heard from Mitch@KNE yet after a week, and based on his last reply, he too, assumed that it shouldn't be a prob , but then I explained to him that this was THE Widest neck Fender has ever done (competing with the Ibanez Super Strats at the time / first run '88 end '91) and that he should research and get back to me. From his initial response I could tell he wasn't familiar with the HM series that's why he said that it should fit. He assumed width was 2⅛ and I told him that would be a little tight when it's closer to 2¼ :lol:

I don't think it's possible, really, but I don't know the capabilities of a CNC machine or programming proceedures.
For shit's & giggles I measured like you said and roughly there's a 1½" bridge difference from the HM compared to the Traditional Stratocaster.
oh...I also mentioned to Mitch that it would be No Prob to send the neck(&body) for calculations and I really don't care if they bastardize the neck pup cavity because I'm putting the neck pup right next to the neck heel. I just want it to work on a FULL size body. The HM's have less mass and most are made of Poplar. I'm at home with Alder Mohagany or the Ash's. There were some Special Alder HM's released and some were the Ultra's. I'm only a fan of the U.S./MIJ's '88,'89,'90's. After that they went to shit especially the International Series.( and the Death of the HM for good)

These are may main gigging guitars now since '88. I have Gorilla Goon hands with sausage links for fingers so that's why I prefer WIDEASS neck guitars. The only other guitar with a more wide regular production neck is the discontinued ('89-'91) 22 fret Ibanez 540P-540PII SH/HH or the UnOfficial Alex Scolnick model.

Here's the neck (&body) It's a pre-Custom Shop BUD DRY promotional guitar ( with my shitty paint job and tem cavity filled).
Fender used the HM series for that.
The only difference being the headstock decal is Traditional.
I converted this one to a traditional nut and it came out Perfecto !
The Bridge is a Poto-type DiMarzio that I got from the Rep back in '90.
The pup's are Evans like the ones SRV used in the studio for some of his recordings.
This was supposed to be my SRV trickbag guitar but I'm having Musikraft put me together a RW SB Neck matched to/with an Alder body for that.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Cool pics ! Sweet !

I very much WANTED to like the HM series, 'cause when Greg Howe broke out in '88 I saw that he got the Fender endorsment. I tried the new 'Dual Showman', but didnt get off on it, I also tried the HM strat, and man, the neck was WIDE. I have a smallish hand, and was too used to 1 5/8.

You could just order a KNE Franky body, and take a 'little' off each side of the neck pocket yourself, being careful to take the same amount off each side. If you dont want to do it, your tech could certainly do it.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

ErickC
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by ErickC » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Hey JimiJames
Im in the same boat as you, ive got a neck i want to transplant to a new body, except it's also a 24 fretter, Jackson style neck. I want to put it on a strat style body as well, so I made this template to get an idea what the difference in the heel would be. The template in black is from a KnE Charvel San Dimas body, the one in blue is a Fender Fat Strat with my Jackson style neck already "on"

link to a larger image
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/619/fu ... cale01.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as you can see the neck pocket would need to be stretched down towards the 24th fret, where the heel ends on most 24 fret necks.

I know a builder up in Canada, he made me a custom neck for a Wolfgang Special
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6495 ... hed002.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I only had the body, i gave him as much info and measurements and he delivered an awesome neck, fit like a glove spot on.
So I contacted him about this project for the 24 fret neck, we're in the middle of breaking down details but he's confident he can do it.

If you dont mind, i'd be interested to know what price quote Mitch at KnE gives you (if you dont want to go public with it PM)
I'd like to know what he would charge compared to my guy.