P/ups for new flying V

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: P/ups for new flying V

Post by fillmore nyc » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 am

Tenderfoot wrote:I went ahead and ordered the Dimarzio EJ Customs,I should have them next week.But there seems to be a problem. I took out the old pickups to get ready for the new ones and noticed that there is no grond wire to the floyd rose bridge, is this normal? The guitar was not not dead quite before i took the pickups out but i attributed it to the hot pickups themselves. Should i run a ground from the floyd rose to the volume pot? :what:
I dont know if that normal, not having a bridge ground wire, but one positive aspect of not having a ground wire between ANY bridge and the rest of the guitars circuit is that if you find out the hard way that your amp and, say, the mike stand have a reversed ground, you wont get taken to the hospital with atrial fibrillation if one hand is on the strings when you grab the mike stand!!

Its also why, out of precaution, I always try to use plastic knobs for the volume and tone on the guitar itself... they dont conduct electricity if a bad ground situation shows up.

Lets put it this way... not one of my guitars has a connected bridge ground wire.
I use copper tape and shield the shit out of my guitars, and if I have a slight hum (which I usually dont), Ill live with it. I know someone that ended up in the ER after grabbing a reversed grounded mike stand... it wasnt pretty.
:shock:

:wink:

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:46 am

Wow!thanks, I won't put a bridge ground on it then.

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Wanted to give an update on my pick-up choice. I finally found what I was looking for. They are Wilde Bill ( & Becky) Lawrence l609s. They are a definitely a cut above the EJs at half the price. :thumbsup: