SH-5 Pickup Test

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

SH-5 Pickup Test

Post by JimiJames » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:39 pm

I have Two. 2&4 lead.
This is the 4 lead Seymour Duncan. SH-5, pre 2003 in Zebra.
For whatever reason the 2 lead sounds smoother to me even though both pups are from the same era. Ω's are close.
This one also was received with the bottom of all 6 screw heads just over the top of the bobbin. (fixed that right away)
This is the first time I tried this pickup and like it.
I've use a plethora of Duncan's before but this one has eluded me. I ordinarily and mainly use the DiMarzio DP100 Super Distortion's ( Since '78) so I'm Super picky with pups so, whichever one that didn't make the cut, I threw my DSD back in.

Mind you this amp is not spec'd for VH, but
since I found out about this pup from the EVH section,
I did a few VH sounds and took 'em for a spin before wrapping it up for the night...

*Metro '69 Plexi
*Fender HM Strat ( alder/poplar ? ) w/ Maple neck & Ibanez Edge w/ Stainless Bullets 3350L's
*Signal path going through entire 25+ pedalboard Front and back-end, in chain. So, roughly 10 in the front and the rest fx loop
*Original Stock mid 70's Slant cab w/BB's (plexi-glass shield in front of amp)
*Zoom Q3HD vidcam

*Chain: Guitar - EP+C (not engaged but on 10. That's the "C"or custom feature that Peter designed.) - Head - Cab

http://www.whammybomb.com/media/SH-5Test.wmv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: SH-5 Pickup Test

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:38 am

I just picked up one of those PU's. Black/green zebra. They have that elusive snappy sound. That amp wireing looks awesome. Did you do that?
12000 Metro Kit

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:59 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:...I just picked up one of those PU's. Black/green zebra. They have that elusive snappy sound.
When did these go into production ?
GREAT pup BTW !
If one likes the DSD He'd be sure to like this in an EVH environment.
Brown tones really come out of this pup. It smears the notes beautifully and has this churp when you bite into the strings.
Like the squish Edwardo get's at the end of So this is Love solo where he ascends the bends.

Out of the two SH-5's that I purchased I like the other one I have which was wound by a different employee and had roughly .20Ω's diff.
That's the one I'm referring to above. The one in the vid felt stiffer? Less gain? IDK? Still had the brown going on as you can hear in the vid, though. Just splitting hairs.
I've been using DSD's for over 30 years and is my go-to pup but, I've been gearing up for a Guitar, Amp/Cab & Pedalboard package for over 3 years and the SH-5 might just be the permanent pup in my guitar for this particular set-up. To include a Gibby 300k.
I don't use 500k's 'cause I like to play with (vol) knobs and if its true He used 500k's then I can't wrap my head around the Cathedral swells ? 250k's are ideal for that. The taper is ALL wrong unless he slapped something on it ? Or....He's got some of the most wicked technique in that department that I've ever heard using a 500k. Or... simply did use a 250k by that time. :stars:
Anyways, the 300k matches up for a great combo !

(I used a Slant in the vid)

I'll try to make some other VH clips without this ZoomCam and try an SM57 & old Pro Tools we have at the studio... Do a short medley or sumptin' ? I'll do it with the other SH-5 and I'll include an original "Dual Sound" pre SDS?
vanhalen5150 wrote:That amp wireing looks awesome. Did you do that?
Yes ??? Thanks ! It's my 2nd Metro. :mrgreen:
I couldn't fit the Blu-Ray into the circuit, but I do have a few extra of those dual terminals I used for the PPIMV's if you need. :wink:
ehh, but I see you've got your hands full with that Paul (and Moose bone).
Insanely good I might add...( show off :roll: )

(...and for those who are curious, the SH-5 sounds insane in GR5 and can be had for roughly $50.00)
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:57 am

I found mine on ebay for $65. Lime green and black. Right from the SD custom shop still in the box.

Lot of empties on that table. :shock:
12000 Metro Kit

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Great stuff Jimi, love the HM strat, reminds me of Greg Howe.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:47 pm

top jimi...link does not worky for me....... :what:
http://www.whammybomb.com/media/SH-5Test.wmv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have an SH-5 it is an origianal wound by juarez....from 19 and 78.... :thumbsup: muy bueno!
I want my music waking up the dead...
Dont tell me to turn it down

if its not loud enough you must be really old...huh,what,what did you play?

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:43 pm

JimiJames wrote:if its true He used 500k's then I can't wrap my head around the Cathedral swells ? 250k's are ideal for that.
He did it on a strat with 250k on the record I believe.
Interpretation?! I thought I was playing it right!

Marshall SL12301

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:22 pm

dazzlindino wrote:top jimi...link does not worky for me....... :what:
I have an SH-5 it is an origianal wound by juarez....from 19 and 78.... :thumbsup: muy bueno!
Not to dispute you but i think you are mistaking on the date of that sh5? MJ didnt even work with seymour in 78, all the pu's like my 1978 custom pre SH-5 were wound by seymour himself,he was just starting up his rewind biz and did not even have a company yet, it was him and cathy his wife(like bill and becky do the Lawrence or wilde pu's)
I got the custom when i first saw the ad in GP mag with eddie name next it in 78. there are very few of these around or those that have then dont even realize what they have?
these are easy to ID, the SH-5 as it became used to just have a sticker that read "The custom" in red or black ink, these are the earliest customs and wound by seymour. Maricela come on a little later
R.I.P Mark Abrahamian, You will be remembered!

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:09 pm

I remember seeing one in 79/80... The guy had built a homebrew Frankie Back then, and played the 1st 2 albums in their entirety through a Pignose of all things, with a Flanger and a Phaser... unbelievable. He played them exact ... Even Spanish Fly. To this day, the only guy I've seen play Spanish Fly that accurate was the Cello Player on you tube..

Well when he was done playing, I asked him about his guitar... He said, " It's a strat body, Charvel Neck, and a SH5 pickup"