Grounding Guitars

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Grounding Guitars

Post by rgorke » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:10 pm

I seem to be having some hum related to grounding of a couple of my guitars. They have old vintage pickups with the braided lead wire. I am also just using one humbucker. I usually go from the jack to the back of the pot to the claw on the back. I have also seen where the ground originates at the jack to the claw rather than the back of the pot.

Wondering if there is a way to quiet things down.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

ezs
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Grounding Guitars

Post by ezs » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:18 pm

Youll be surprised at how many ground wires to the bridge are open. I always grind some chrome off an insert and solder the ground wire. Check yours by using DVM on diode, back of any pot and touch string, hear beep your good, no beep open.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:23 pm

ezs wrote:Youll be surprised at how many ground wires to the bridge are open. I always grind some chrome off an insert and solder the ground wire. Check yours by using DVM on diode, back of any pot and touch string, hear beep your good, no beep open.
Ok, thanks for the tip. However, got a really strong signal (beep) from pot to strings and jack to strings.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:09 pm

So, I have some significant success using the copper tape. I looked through this article (below) and I remembered that I had some copper tape. After thoroughly covering the internal cavity and, shazaam!, what a difference!

http://mrglyn.blogspot.com/2008/11/redu ... ening.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;