There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Pickups for Basswood Body/Maple neck combo

Post by JimiJames » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm stuck with Basswood and no offense goes out to those who do,
...but
For those select who do, what do yo guys like that also, are familiar with Ash & Alder...

FWIW The DSD does not count.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Tone Slinger

Re: Pickups for Basswood Body/Maple neck combo

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:37 pm

Basswood has a pronounced mid bump to it. It is warm but not terribly big sounding. Its suited for hb'ers in my opinion, but I once played a Fender Japanese '60's reissue strat that was basswood, and it KILLED with single coils.
Although I havent owned one in a while, I'd say a JB is a great choice. Everytime I've played a guitar with a JB in it, I liked the frequincies it pushed forth. Maybe not the best pu that CLEANS up on the guitars volume, but a 'safe' choice overall I think.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:06 pm

Most people aren't aware that Fender Japan (uses/has utilized) basswood for their guitars.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:57 pm

So far it's only been the DiMarzio ToneZone in this guitar (next to the stock H.M.)

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Sweet guitar(both of them). I really like the HM strats looks,but the neck, man its just to wide for me. I would stay in the Tone Zone, AT-1 family, which is JB influenced, if I'm not mistaken.
I hear that the AT-1 is a bit tighter and slightly less gainy as compared to the Tone Zone. I'm assuming a JB would be 'similar' in gain to either, but maybe has slightly less bottom end and a sweeter upper midrange than either ?
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks man. They are long since gone, but remember that the TZ killed in this Basswood setup. Pablo was using them at the time to fatten up the RG's. His hew one sounds killer BTW. It's a Strat Man or a IceOcaster or a ??? heh I don't care what it's called actually. He just sounds good playing anything in practically any style or genre !
Well, that was the 90's and that fit then... Scoot forward and then you have my Topic.
Just looking for "Browner" possibilities.

Yeah ! Ibanez, DiMarzio and Andy have done great work together. IMHO I think they did a great job in making his Signature model sound real Stratty. Like an Ibanez that want's to be a Fender. Can't say enough good about this genuine guy.
I met Andy a few times on separate occasions and on the initial first meeting that took place at Boogie seminar at make'n music Chicago,
I handed him a nifty Hendrix shirt and thanked him for his contributions to the music world. Eyes wide open, eagerly accepted and humbly thanked me. Kinda choked up that he remembered me on the other following occasions. Glad he's around. :thumbsup:

I subscribe to the Alder camp myself. I'll get those Full scale Stratocaster bodies in Alder & Ash retrofitted around my HM Strat neck, just yet ! if I have to hack up my Basswood body to practice on myself...
On the other hand if that Basswood body had a Maple top on.... well... now we're talkin' !
..See... I'm showin' as much love (and tolerance :roll: ) as anybody else. Image

On a serious note, I respect John Suhr and admire his hard work in the music industry and have sampled several of his Basswood/Maple top's and liked them. Immediately noticed a difference. The way I see it the Maple top helps transfer sound collectively, vibrations off the headstock neck, strings, & bridge to help transfer to the body. Also less chance for deadspots.

As in other threads there is definitely a level of madness involved in matching a pickup to body, but more-so guitar.
There might be hope for Basswood just yet ! In the meantime I need to take notes and do some homework to help pinpoint what works; Ceramic or AlNiCo,the strength, the wire guage, coated, uncoated, pizza, sausage, no sausage...

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:13 am

I have an old RG560 made from Basswood. It has some type of Dimarzio 8K in it. I always thought it sounded good, especially with the single coils. It needs a serious paint job and major restoration.

Back in '86 I did a reverse windmill with it and cracked the headstock when the strap locks broke. Yup, I was that guy..... :lol:
12000 Metro Kit

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:48 am

I have a Duncan Custom in one that was a hand me down from a canadian friend. that sounds good in that guitar.
Edit...
Nevermind that guitar is alder...still sounds good! :thumbsup:
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:04 pm

:idea:
hmm... What appears to make the most sense: an EVH :evh: ! *high-five* mightymike for that one !
I'll look for both the Wolfgang and Frankenstein bridge models.
This will also mean, that for the Wolfy, I will be using a low friction 500k Vol - outside terminal to output jack w/ shielded cable
& from Vol middle terminal to a low friction 250k Tone. soldered to middle terminal; with the outside terminal grounded w/ .022 cap.... On the Peavey schem shows A500k Vol & Tone w/.02...
I normally use Gibson A300k's with a .05 on the L300k Tone there.
I eventually order some mags from ThroBak for some easy tweakin' :wink:

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:21 pm

Glad to help... It just made sense.

fhn_lopes

Post by fhn_lopes » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:33 am

I think that pup choice allways has to do with which side your guitar is, no matter what wood it is made of. Bright, balanced, dark. Period.

Basswood can be dark and dull, but sometimes it has a very nice mid bump and ends up a balanced instrument.

If it is more on the dark/balanced side I'd try a Bare Knuckle VHII (for eaarly EVH) or a BKP Holydiver (for modern ed, JB like stuff)

IF it's more on the bright side, I'd try a BKP Crawler, DSD or a Seymour Custom custom (for early ED) or a BKP Miracle Man or Nailbomb (for modern stuff).. Maybe a BK Rebell Yell works out nice in a darker basswood body too...
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks

FL6

Post by FL6 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:52 pm

Anyone have opinions of a Super Distortion in a basswood body or more specifically an RG basswood?