Best PAF style pickup?

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Flames1950

Re: Best PAF style pickup?

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:15 pm

There's lots of great options in boutique stuff right now for not much more $$ than Duncans, but far better sound to my ears at least........

Smits (he advertises here, so you should see his banner come up if you refresh the page enough!!) pickups are real nice and typically under $200 for a set wound to your tastes. He often has auctions up on eBay too.

Nice as the Smits are, I've since replaced them with Manlius guitar pickups, again under $200 for a set with a few different takes on specific PAF's he's looked at -- check out manliusguitar.com for his stuff........

Both makers captured a lot livelier sound than Duncans or DiMarzios in my opinion. :wink:

somethin'else
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by somethin'else » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:23 pm

Ydna wrote:I'm thinking of going with the Seymour Duncans for now, I just don't have the money for boutique pickups. That, or I'll hand wind em' to the specs on the throbak website.
Right on, Ydna, Duncans will not hurt your tone! Just outta curiousity, what kind of SG do you have? And what kind of pups do they usually come with? Not familiar enough to know.

And not to badger the point, or keep trying to upsell, but you could get the High Orders for the same or a little less. Looks like $192 shipped with nickel covers. Metro members Roe and TubeTramp have some too, so there's good company there. (Hope that wasn't out of line).

Duncans are tried and true though, you can count on that! But to Flames' point, I know the High Order PAFs have great 3D quality, are lightly potted (specify when ordering, but that's his usual M.O.), and are robust in build quality. Just playing devil's advocate. :)

Cheers
dave

Ydna

Post by Ydna » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:11 pm

I play a 2005 SG Goddess. It's meant for women, but it is a great guitar, I don't really mind the blue burst too much. It has a 490R Alnico II in the neck, and a 490T Alnico V in the Bridge. They don't clean up unless you want to go from 10 to 3. The High Order PAFs are sounding like a good plan. Landmark PAFs.
~Current Amps~
1. 1963 Sano Supersonic
2. 1990s Fender Dual Showman
3.JTM45/100 Build

~Future Amps~
1. 69 Superlead
2. Lots of Metropoulos amps

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:55 am

jbzoso2002 wrote:ThroBak makes the most authentic PAF on the planet earth!

http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_ ... ntage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jimmy 8)
+ gazillion
Although, there's a few of the newer companies I haven't tried yet,(Smits./H.O./B.K's) these really capture what a P.A.F. is all about. Being fortunate to have been exposed to the real deals, these are extremely close.
These are a permenant install in my Lester.
Ydna wrote:I'm thinking of going with the Seymour Duncans for now, I just don't have the money for boutique pickups.
jbzoso2002 wrote:Yes they are and it took quite a while for me to get over
that.
Ydna, maybe not make a move unless you're ready to "throw down" for that vintage tone . Jimmy did ! :wink:
Stick with the 490R & 490T for now. Unemployment FUCKING SUCKS ! :x
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:05 am

somethin'else wrote:That's a great question, fillmore! Sorry, I just mentioned T-Tops and it's a bit off topic to the original question here.

I could be grossly mistaken, but speaking in generalities, I think the PAFs have a natural asymmetric wind (each coil having different output) due to inconsistencies in winders (Betty's on lunch break), where the T-Tops were made when the winders stopped at a certain number of winds, and they finally realized consistency everytime?

Difference in sound? Hmm, can o'worms here... The asymmetric winds in PAFs lend a certain "magical" (sorry, had to say it) "air" to the sound, where T-Tops have a flatter even response from the even wound coils.

That's my bullmalarkie take on it! :lol:

Some folks love the T-Tops. A lot of folks love the T-Top. Shoot, a lot of folks LOVE the 490T and 498T ceramics for that 80s punk rock thing. On the other hand, I personally could never get enough of an AlNiCo II magnet. Too much sizzle and compression for me, too dark overall. Totally subjective. Same with speakers! I'm a ceramic magnet speaker guy, and I've tried AlNiCos... just not for me. :roll: I've tried AIIIs and AIVs, too... no go.

First thing I did with my R8 was yank those Burstbuckers and put some Fralins in. Great Pups! But I felt a bit of Telecaster leaking into my Paul :lol: And in my perception, I was missing that elusive, 3D quality. Maybe it was the AIV mags, or the wire, or the wood spacers, or the direction of the wind... ad nauseam.

I love asymmetrical (PAF) wound pups with softened up A5 mags. What're ya gonna do, right? :D
Well, thats a great ANSWER, S.E.!!!!! The one thing I didnt consider is consistency. PAF's are probably right up there with 50's and early '60's Strats and Teles as far as inconsistencies in the pickup winds. The PAF's in my LP are snarling monsters, but the PAF's in one of my buds LP absolutely suck.
On the other hand, whether they only sound 90% of a PAF, T-Tops pretty much sound very consistent from pickup to pickup, so question answered!!
Merci beaucoup, mon frère!

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:37 am

fillmore nyc wrote: So 'splain me, por favor??!!

:lol: :lol:
8) 8)
Well, you asked in ghetto Spanish...
fillmore nyc wrote: Merci beaucoup, mon frère!
and answered in fancy French, so I guess all's well! :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad I could almost add something up!

No doubt, the Pickup Cafe is a hot joint, with lots of input to take in. BTW, Flames, those Manlius pups look good! I need to grab another bucker or P90 guitar just to get some of his P90s in there one day.

Ydna, sounds like you just need some clarity in your pups. For some reason, my Burstbuckers just didn't give up the goods when it came to "Definition and Clarity". A lot of factors could contribute to it, just speaking of the pups alone. Your amps in your sig look like clean running amps, and if you can't clean up your sound with your pups... unless you're running a lot of pedals... anything Duncan, boutique or otherwise should step it up for you.

Also, while you're in there, you should consider 50's wiring too, with a couple good caps to boot. I'm pretty sure wiring on a lot of new production is wonky at best. It'd be good to straighten it out while you're at it, or whoever does the work for you.

Cheers
dave

Ydna

Post by Ydna » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Yea. I've thought about changing the wiring. I could do it myself. I might change the capacitor values as well, because I'm pretty sure that Gibson changed them over the years. I'm thinking High Orders. They're aren't too much more then Seymour Duncans, and I expect them to be a much better PAF replica

Oh, JimiJames, I'm not technically unemployed, I'm just a 16 year old kid, that is trying to get a job, so I can get the tone I'm looking for.
~Current Amps~
1. 1963 Sano Supersonic
2. 1990s Fender Dual Showman
3.JTM45/100 Build

~Future Amps~
1. 69 Superlead
2. Lots of Metropoulos amps

Winder

Post by Winder » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:24 pm

fillmore nyc wrote:
somethin'else wrote:My High Order Pickups really get the job done for me. Jeff does great T-Tops and PAFs. I've got a 8.3 bridge and 8.1 neck in vintage style (a tad weakened) A5 magnets with his hand polished raw nickel covers. Real blue blues, red hot leads, and the famous juicy funk middle position. And they clean up like Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction.
Something I dont understand... unless a person is gonna restore a humbucker equipped Gibson built after 1965 or so, and dosent wanna shell out for "real" T-Tops (expensive these days) why would someone specify T-Tops as opposed to PAF's?

As far as actual T-Tops and PAF's go, PAF's have always sounded better (at least to my ear) in every respect... a little more of everything it seems. I know the whole hype about how the very earliest Patent Number pickups ('63-'64) WERE basically PAF's, but as far as tone is concerned, I sincerely dont understand the need for '65-'75 replica T-Top pickups, if PAF's are available. If it wasnt for the mortal sin of modding a vintage instrument, removing T-Top's from a late '60's guitar and putting in (real) PAF's would have always been considered an upgrade.

I know there must be SOMETHING to it, and this is just my ignorance speaking, but any guitar I've owned with actual T-Tops (a late '60's 335) never sounded as good as ANY PAF guitar I've owned (a '61 345, and my current LP Std).

So 'splain me, por favor??!!

8) 8)
Just my opinion/observations as a builder, but It's really a matter of taste. What's "better" or "best" will always be subjective. With respect to the differences,

PAF: 42 Gauge plain enamel (PE) coated wire with a variety of magnet types, supposedly favoring A5 late in the run, butyrate bobbins, widely varying resistances from low 7s to 9k-ish.
Patent Sticker (the 'tweener you mention): 42 PE early on then changed to polyurethane in mid '63 , short A5, and I believe butyrate bobbins, with similarly varying resistances to PAFs. Many would say the change to poly and magnet length had an effect on tone. Nonetheless, these were pretty much PAFs.
Patent Sticker T-Top: 42 Poly, A5, plastic bobbins (don't recall if ABS or what), resistance varies but not as widely as with PAFs (seem to top out around 8k but reported over 8k as well).
T-Tops: 42 Poly, A5, plastic bobbins, late in the run resistance starts dialing in to the 7.3-7.5k range.

All of the changes have some impact on the resulting tone, however miniscule. The degree of impact of any of them is something constantly argued and there is no correct answer or assessment. In the end, good tone is in the ear of the beholder.

As a winder/builder, what the differences allow me to do is speak within frames of reference when settling on a build for a customer. My "PAF" winds are formulas based on actual PAFs. My T-Top winds, are based on formulas from actual T-Tops. In fact, the best sounding pickup I've ever heard was a '60s patent sticker T-Top that I had in the shop and spec'd for a customer. If a customer is asking for a specific tone similar to Page's Les Paul with the T-Top bridge and PAF neck then we have a frame of reference and we can talk "T-Top type" and "PAF type" to cover the tone. I suppose it might be considered a bit of a marketing gimmick, and I won't argue that it isn't to a degree, but for me it's a way of relating to customers in effort to provide what they're after. It's like talking resistance versus "output". Folks like to wax philosophic about output being different than resistance and that's completely true. That said, it's minimally effective to discuss inductance, coil Q, metal alloys, blah/blah, etc. That's not a good frame of reference, IMO.

So what's the need for a '65-'75 T-Top replica? Well for me, it has to do with losing several nights sleep over the incredible tone I heard from the last one I dropped into a guitar. I begged the guy to sell it to me and he wouldn't, so I had to try to duplicate it for myself. Once I felt I'd done a reasonably good job of it, it seemed worthy of adding to the line. Here again, since "best" is in the ear of the beholder, for me, I'd be hard pressed to yank that pickup for a PAF just because it was a PAF. Regarding PAF types, for those of us that believe they're behind some of the greatest tones they have their place too. Not so much "better" than some T-Tops, just damn fine in their own right and worthy of perpetuating. Honestly, the notion that any one person knows what the "best" tone is really doesn't make any sense.

It's a great time for players these days as far as pickups are concerned. There are a lot of folks building outstanding pickups that can deliver the classic tones that we love at a cost well under the real thing. One or two have gone so far as to source butyrate bobbins, accurate frames, correct alloy screws/slugs, etc., rendering pickups that are difficult to discern from the originals. If you're willing to pay for them, then they're a good deal for sure as long as they deliver the tone.

Not sure if this helps, but there it is. This is my take on winding pickups, which may vary from some other builders.

HO

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:36 pm

somethin'else wrote:
fillmore nyc wrote: So 'splain me, por favor??!!

8) 8)
Well, you asked in ghetto Spanish...
fillmore nyc wrote: Merci beaucoup, mon frère!
and answered in fancy French, so I guess all's well! :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad I could almost add something up!

Cheers
(Slight thread diversion, jus' cuz you'z seem ta be askin' fa it... :twisted: )

My REAL vocab...

Eh... you makin' funna my language?? You 'tink Im funny?? Dere's a coupla guys cruzin' roun' here dat know me from da neighbahood, know what Im sayin'?? Dat Chiefy iz one-a dem... he's a friend a ours. So'z dat Frenchie... 'e might be French, but he's a honnrary Eye-Talian, I assure'z you a DAT.
So you jus' mind ya shit, an' it'll all be ah-ight, ya heard?? Cuz if ya aint WIT us, ya aint WIT us... Im not gonna break ya balls aboutit, but Im gonna break ya balls aboutit, know wat I mean?? Youz start fuckin' wit me or dat Chiefy, an' it AINT gonna be good fo' you... it'll be good fo' US, but not fa you, know what I mean??
An' FRENCHIE??? Faggettaboutit. DAT boy'll do some Eye-Talian French shit ta you'z dats gonna have you'z wishin' ya fadda neva met ya mudda, capisce??

Now get wit Vito an' meet me anna boys ova at Paisano's down in Lil' It-Lee an' we gonna get you a bee-you-tee-ful bottle 'a red, an' somma dat nice scungilli in dat fried diablo sauce, or whateva dey call dat shit dat Mrs Cucciliano makes. An' jus' so ya don' say I didn' warn you'z... I don' givva rats ass HOW spicy Mrs. C. makes dat fried diablo shit... You'z gonna eat it, an' you'z gonna LIKE it, unnastan'???? Cause if MR. C. tinks you'z feel any different... well lets say dat da already dead fish inna East River gonna have some new friends, ah-ight, ah-ight???

Oh, an' by da way... tell ya wife dat you'z gonna be late... REAL late... like you'z might be lost in Joisey for a few years kinda late, know what we'z talkin' 'bout??? Cuz afta dinna, we'z gotta boat waitin' at da pier... you'z goin' fo a nice moonlite cruise. Neva min' dat ce-ment inna backa da boat. We'z gonna "discuss" dat lata...
:lol: :lol: / :twisted: :twisted:/ 8) 8)

Omn

Post by Omn » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:11 pm

fillmore nyc wrote: Are the Rolph's as close to the real deal as my buddy makes them out to be?
Never tried real PAFs, Fillmore. So me comparing them is off - I would have to say pass.

From what I hear is that not all PAFs were good PAFs. So probably more than just me should pass this cup. What PAFs do we have; the good or the not so good?

All I can say is that the two sets of Rolph's (they are called Pretender - something, if I remember correctly) I have are incredible, and they will never be replaced. Not even by ThroBak (but the ThroBaks would be my choice if I only had one - which I do not :-).

lidesnowi

Post by lidesnowi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:02 pm

Why not go for the originals http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1958-Gibson ... ccessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty cheap these days Cost barely nothing at all :wink:

Fact is that they are WILDLY inconsistent sounding some of them sound almost like single coil pups and some like MUD and a few sound fantastic as you all know of course :roll: .
Last edited by lidesnowi on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.myspace.com/kristerbergmanmusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.soundclick.com/kristerbergmanmusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:18 pm

fillmore nyc wrote: (Slight thread diversion, jus' cuz you'z seem ta be askin' fa it... :twisted: )

My REAL vocab...

................................Oh, an' by da way... tell ya wife dat you'z gonna be late... REAL late... like you'z might be lost in Joisey for a few years kinda late, know what we'z talkin' 'bout??? Cuz afta dinna, we'z gotta boat waitin' at da pier... you'z goin' fo a nice moonlite cruise. Neva min' dat ce-ment inna backa da boat. We'z gonna "discuss" dat lata...
:lol: :lol: / :twisted: :twisted:/ 8) 8)
:shock: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol: :shock: holy f-in crap! :lol:
I FINALLY got a new pair of Concrete SHOES, courtesy o' DA FILLY!!!
An ewes knows dat makes me one honorable (but dead) fuckah!!! Better yet, I'm flabbin' honored!!! :lol: All in da name a LUV, Philly! Trust meez, I'd rather get a few years lost up in Joisey than ta be home late for the wifey! OH! So dat don't scare me none. I wear a 7 1/2, but make those concrete boxes for 8, on account of all da SWELLIN' which I can not stand. :cry: :lol:

: : ahem : : and now back to our regularly scheduled program...
Winder wrote:
fillmore nyc wrote:
somethin'else wrote:My High Order Pickups really get the job done for me. Jeff does great T-Tops and PAFs. I've got a 8.3 bridge and 8.1 neck in vintage style (a tad weakened) A5 magnets with his hand polished raw nickel covers. Real blue blues, red hot leads, and the famous juicy funk middle position. And they clean up like Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction.
Something I dont understand... unless a person is gonna restore a humbucker equipped Gibson built after 1965 or so, and dosent wanna shell out for "real" T-Tops (expensive these days) why would someone specify T-Tops as opposed to PAF's?

As far as actual T-Tops and PAF's go, PAF's have always sounded better (at least to my ear) in every respect... a little more of everything it seems. I know the whole hype about how the very earliest Patent Number pickups ('63-'64) WERE basically PAF's, but as far as tone is concerned, I sincerely dont understand the need for '65-'75 replica T-Top pickups, if PAF's are available. If it wasnt for the mortal sin of modding a vintage instrument, removing T-Top's from a late '60's guitar and putting in (real) PAF's would have always been considered an upgrade.

I know there must be SOMETHING to it, and this is just my ignorance speaking, but any guitar I've owned with actual T-Tops (a late '60's 335) never sounded as good as ANY PAF guitar I've owned (a '61 345, and my current LP Std).

So 'splain me, por favor??!!

8) 8)
Just my opinion/observations as a builder, but It's really a matter of taste. What's "better" or "best" will always be subjective. With respect to the differences,

PAF: 42 Gauge plain enamel (PE) coated wire with a variety of magnet types, supposedly favoring A5 late in the run, butyrate bobbins, widely varying resistances from low 7s to 9k-ish.
Patent Sticker (the 'tweener you mention): 42 PE early on then changed to polyurethane in mid '63 , short A5, and I believe butyrate bobbins, with similarly varying resistances to PAFs. Many would say the change to poly and magnet length had an effect on tone. Nonetheless, these were pretty much PAFs.
Patent Sticker T-Top: 42 Poly, A5, plastic bobbins (don't recall if ABS or what), resistance varies but not as widely as with PAFs (seem to top out around 8k but reported over 8k as well).
T-Tops: 42 Poly, A5, plastic bobbins, late in the run resistance starts dialing in to the 7.3-7.5k range.

All of the changes have some impact on the resulting tone, however miniscule. The degree of impact of any of them is something constantly argued and there is no correct answer or assessment. In the end, good tone is in the ear of the beholder.

As a winder/builder, what the differences allow me to do is speak within frames of reference when settling on a build for a customer. My "PAF" winds are formulas based on actual PAFs. My T-Top winds, are based on formulas from actual T-Tops. In fact, the best sounding pickup I've ever heard was a '60s patent sticker T-Top that I had in the shop and spec'd for a customer. If a customer is asking for a specific tone similar to Page's Les Paul with the T-Top bridge and PAF neck then we have a frame of reference and we can talk "T-Top type" and "PAF type" to cover the tone. I suppose it might be considered a bit of a marketing gimmick, and I won't argue that it isn't to a degree, but for me it's a way of relating to customers in effort to provide what they're after. It's like talking resistance versus "output". Folks like to wax philosophic about output being different than resistance and that's completely true. That said, it's minimally effective to discuss inductance, coil Q, metal alloys, blah/blah, etc. That's not a good frame of reference, IMO.

So what's the need for a '65-'75 T-Top replica? Well for me, it has to do with losing several nights sleep over the incredible tone I heard from the last one I dropped into a guitar. I begged the guy to sell it to me and he wouldn't, so I had to try to duplicate it for myself. Once I felt I'd done a reasonably good job of it, it seemed worthy of adding to the line. Here again, since "best" is in the ear of the beholder, for me, I'd be hard pressed to yank that pickup for a PAF just because it was a PAF. Regarding PAF types, for those of us that believe they're behind some of the greatest tones they have their place too. Not so much "better" than some T-Tops, just damn fine in their own right and worthy of perpetuating. Honestly, the notion that any one person knows what the "best" tone is really doesn't make any sense.

It's a great time for players these days as far as pickups are concerned. There are a lot of folks building outstanding pickups that can deliver the classic tones that we love at a cost well under the real thing. One or two have gone so far as to source butyrate bobbins, accurate frames, correct alloy screws/slugs, etc., rendering pickups that are difficult to discern from the originals. If you're willing to pay for them, then they're a good deal for sure as long as they deliver the tone.

Not sure if this helps, but there it is. This is my take on winding pickups, which may vary from some other builders.

HO
Holy Crap, it's Jeff! I was just thinking, "this is a great write-up"... then got to the sig! Nice. :wink:
I just wanna say that Jeff was incredibly patient and helpful with me, as I actually brought this "Jimmy Page T-Top bridge and PAF" neck thing to him a couple-few years ago, and he narrowed it in for me from there, offering frames of reference such as videos and recordings. I actually bought 3 pups from him. The first two were what I made up to be the T-Top/PAF combo. The T-Top (bridge) was a 7.7 (A3) and the PAF (neck) was the 8.1 A5. I didn't really dig the A3 in the T-Top, so Jeff sent me a Vintage A5 and a full strength A5 to try. (sorry Jeff, I never got around to the full strength A5! :oops: ) While the A5 helped the weaker T-Top, I found out then that I really liked the Asymmetrical Wind of the PAF. SO! I ended up putting the PAF 8.1 A5 in the neck, and got a 3rd PAF 8.3 A5 from Jeff for the bridge. And BOOYAH!

THIS... is why I pipe up about HO. The pups are killer out the gate. Period. And he patiently waited for me to "run around the tree a hundred times", and helped the whole way.

Great experience, that I'm GLAD IS OVER! :lol:

Thanks Again, Jeff!
dave

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:20 pm

Omn wrote:From what I hear is that not all PAFs were good PAFs.
Thats really true. Like I said, a friend has an original LP with PAF's thats literally one of the worst sounding guitars I've ever heard. Thin and ball-less like you wouldnt believe.
Winder wrote:So what's the need for a '65-'75 T-Top replica? Well for me, it has to do with losing several nights sleep over the incredible tone I heard from the last one I dropped into a guitar. I begged the guy to sell it to me and he wouldn't, so I had to try to duplicate it for myself. Once I felt I'd done a reasonably good job of it, it seemed worthy of adding to the line. Here again, since "best" is in the ear of the beholder, for me, I'd be hard pressed to yank that pickup for a PAF just because it was a PAF. Regarding PAF types, for those of us that believe they're behind some of the greatest tones they have their place too.
Maybe I didnt express myself correctly... I didnt mean that I'd pull a T-Top to install a PAF "JUST" cause it was a PAF... Its just that most (but not all) the PAF's I've heard, have, to my ear, exceeded the few T-Tops I've heard, so I guess I was making an unfair generalization about T-Tops, but that has been my experience with the two.
Im REAL sure there are some stellar examples of T-Tops out there, and for sure there are some doggie PAF's. I've definitely heard nice T-Tops. I've heard a few PAF's that were definitely NOT as nice as a good T-Top (my friends LP for one).
To me, the quintessential PAF tone is Duane Allman on the Fillmore recordings. Besides the obvious essential ingredients (the amp, the hands, the chops, etc), I havent heard any other pickup beside an absolute mind blower of a PAF that can touch that tone, and THAT kind of PAF is not common.
But again, thats just my ears talking...
8) 8)

Winder

Post by Winder » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:07 am

somethin'else wrote:
Great experience, that I'm GLAD IS OVER! :lol:

Thanks Again, Jeff!
:D Not a problem. I'm glad we were able to get something together that works for you. :wink:

Winder

Post by Winder » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:12 am

fillmore nyc wrote:To me, the quintessential PAF tone is Duane Allman on the Fillmore recordings. Besides the obvious essential ingredients (the amp, the hands, the chops, etc), I havent heard any other pickup beside an absolute mind blower of a PAF that can touch that tone, and THAT kind of PAF is not common.
But again, thats just my ears talking...
8) 8)
Hard to argue with Duane/Fillmore. The pickup no doubt contributes to the foundation, but the skills can't be overlooked. Sounds like we're on the same page though. We each have that specific tone or two that hit the spot for us. :D