Callaham bridge pivot screws 6 of them. Lesson learned!

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Bluesgeetar
Just the numbers in order: 7

Callaham bridge pivot screws 6 of them. Lesson learned!

Post by Bluesgeetar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:17 pm

SO I am working on my daughters strat, it's a little "jacked up" as she calls it so the dipshit I bought it from put the screw in side ways almost on the low e string screw and he snapped off the head. So I dug it out and it looked pretty bad so I drilled the hole out a little and put a oak dowel plug in the spot. It worked great. So then I am putting the bridge on after doing some work to it and the screw head on the a string snaps off on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: Fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So i had to dig that one out also and put a plug in it! What did I learn that can help other guitar tinkerers here. I installed a Callaham bridge and all on my 68 reissue strat. it uses 6 hardened stainless steel screws which they claim are like the old ones. When I installed them they were a bitch to get in. But them suckers wouldn't twist off for nuthin. The screws that are made in Japan, I guess, on my daughters strat (it is an old 80s made in Japan job) were total weak crap! The Japanese may have made good strat issues with Fenders brand on them but their hardware quality sucks big time. The one screw just barely got a little tight and popped off! Cheap Japanese crap screws! So let this be a lesson for others who may come across this one day. So what did I do next. dug out the screw I broke off, put a wood dowel plug into the little drilled out hole, spent $5 on a set of 6 hardened stainless steel strat bridge pivot screws from Callaham, just went ahead and chunked the rest of the 4 remaining Japanese crap screws in the 13 drawer, put the 6 Calla screws in tight! Now it is good to go!!

electricskychurch

Re: Callaham bridge pivot screws 6 of them. Lesson learned!

Post by electricskychurch » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:15 pm

yes, it seesm the hardware is (and was) different between American , Japanese and mexican models of the same Fender guitar, at least most of it including pu's most of the time, except on some japanese models like for example, a JP jazz bass 60's style ri with USA pu's i bought , but are they the same as the american vintage 62' ri jazz bass ! ??

Krinkle

Post by Krinkle » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:54 am

I just bought the complete Callaham hardware kit for an EVH guitar that I'm building. It was good to hear your comments about their quality.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:02 pm

...put a oak dowel plug in the spot
Not sure I have this right... THESE are Callaham screws? ....eh, and you spent more money to get OTHER hardened screws fom them? sheesh !
This screw is where the bridge (pivot)screw goes?
If, so I use a pilot hole with oak. It will snap even good screws if you just plain-ole screw it in.
Personally would of used a pine or poplar dowel with a little hide glue (TiteBond)
Also, wax or soap (on the screw) is great for tight fits. (tight fitting neck pockets, too)

I agree, when srews come from the East, they're gonna' be cheap !
How many times has someone put together a pre-fabbed shelf unit from a department store and either the screw was bent, oddly stamped, no screw driver slot, or even missing... BASTAGES !

Let's hope Callaham has a clue that some of their bridges are going in peoples personal vintage instruments and anything short of quality will definitely hurt their reputaion.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Omn

Post by Omn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:51 am

I have put Callaham bridges in two guitars. One tremolo and one hardtail. Everything from him is Top Quality. Upgrading from Squire Pro Tone or Fender Custom Shop has been my best buy. Ever.
Try some of his tremolo blocks...

Highly recommended!

worldoftone

Post by worldoftone » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Uh . . . and you're just now figuring this out??? :lol:

Glad you got some good parts in there!

- WOT
I smell tubes.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:40 am

Bluesgeetar wrote:I installed a Callaham bridge and all on my 68 reissue strat.
Thread resurrection...

Did you installed his standard 2 7/32 mounting and 2 7/32 string spacing one on your your '68 RI?

Have you noticed any differences in string spacing before and after the installation?

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Freedom of Music <=> Music of Freedom

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:27 am

I never had this problem. I have bought most of my 'replacement' screws from Home Depot or Lowes. I did break the top off of a little tuning peg screw before though.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:01 pm

Just use nails.
12000 Metro Kit