double coil into bridge position

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

rgalpin

double coil into bridge position

Post by rgalpin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 am

It was only a matter of time I guess... Time to put a double coil humbucker in my homemade strat.

I have found that I never use the bridge pickup because it's just too nasty sounding for the music I'm doing... please PRAY for my pick guard - that I will be kind and gentle - that i will not violently disfigure it in anyway...

any pointers on cutting a double coil hole into a single coil hole would be great - of course maybe i should just buy a new pick guard pre-cut for this... hmmm... :scratch:

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: double coil into bridge position

Post by JimiJames » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:53 pm

I've done the trace method with much success on two different occaions ( with Fender HM Strats that came without pg's)
Similar to this Image
Sent the overlay to WD and crossed my fingers.

If the gētar were collectable then leave original pg alone
If you decide to give it a whirl; masking tape & a Dremel tool works great. Find the right bit for the job and hack away.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fillmore nyc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:59 pm

rgalpin wrote:It was only a matter of time I guess... Time to put a double coil humbucker in my homemade strat.

I have found that I never use the bridge pickup because it's just too nasty sounding for the music I'm doing... please PRAY for my pick guard - that I will be kind and gentle - that i will not violently disfigure it in anyway...

any pointers on cutting a double coil hole into a single coil hole would be great - of course maybe i should just buy a new pick guard pre-cut for this... hmmm... :scratch:
You can get an accurate template for this by simply using a Gibson-style humbucker mounting ring that your HB fits. Use some masking tape on the guard, marking out the stock holes that are already there for the single coil, and then use the HB mounting ring to find the best place to cut for the humbucker. If you angle the HB, you can get away with using the same holes the single coil uses for the adjustment screws... the distance between the height adjustment holes on most HB's and single coils are very close (approx 3.075" for a HB, and 3.01 for a single coil... you could make them virtually the same by just bending the mounting tabs on the HB slightly).
Then you'd only have to cut the one large hole to fit the HB in the guard.
:wink:

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:23 pm

sounds like a great way to do it. i've decided to try a JB Jr. in there to see how it works - if it doesn't work out, i'll be back! thanks!