Hofner Beatles Bass Plans

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

axeman2ooo

Hofner Beatles Bass Plans

Post by axeman2ooo » Sun May 08, 2011 8:21 am

hi guys
does anyone know where I could find either full sized plans for a build, perhaps a CAD or Vector file?
or perhaps someone could take a few photos of front, side and back with a standard ruler (metric or imperial) flat against the guitar, and I could draw one up?
I have been searching for days now, but cannot find anything... want to build one (I am a lefty) and finding all the required info before purchasing anything is my usual method.

so yeah, anyone know of a diagram / CAD file for a 500/1 McCartney? happy for the Cavern or the later version... anything would be great!!

azazael
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Hofner Beatles Bass Plans

Post by azazael » Mon May 09, 2011 5:47 am

There's plenty of cheap copies of it on the market.

http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Bass_Guita ... &utm_term=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;{keyword}

http://www.imuso.co.uk/Bass-Guitars/186 ... gleproduct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and not so cheap

http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/bass/17 ... eluxe_bass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

azazael
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by azazael » Mon May 09, 2011 5:52 am

I know it's not much use as to what you're looking for but it could be a starting point if you can get a glance at one locally for some info. Even if its not 100% accurate, although chances are the copies won't be all that far off as its not as though they have EVH lawyers etc lol

axeman2ooo

Post by axeman2ooo » Mon May 09, 2011 9:15 am

tried looking for a replica, and the only place that has them orders (wait for it) 1 at a time, which sells out rather quickly, and then there is the wait for the next one. asshats... one of the perils of living in Melbourne Australia...

I also contacted the forums at Hofner Hounds (asshats x 100) and was told that by building my own, i would be breaching copyright and countless other laws. I almost took it as a compliment that my guitar building was seen as good as a 150 year old German Luthier institution... but alas, it is not...

I have almost completed my own (semi-accurate) plans, however a photo with a ruler would greatly help. (positioning of the cutouts is my biggest issue atm...)

I offered to share the plans on the Hofner Hounds forum, and they went mental, saying that I could be arrested, jailed, shot, skinned and tortured etc... My interpretation of the plans are not Hofner property, any more than George's interpretation of an awesome amp does not belong to Marshall, Fender or Vox etc

anyway, if anyone has a Beatle Bass, I would much appreciate a few photos of the front and side with a ruler against the guitar (headstock too, if possible, but I think I got that sorted...) I am not completely sure if they are archtop or flattop bodies, as an actual Hofner is not available in Australia that I have found...

thanks again, any help is always appreciated! :D

:shred:

ohmygodtheykilledkenny

Post by ohmygodtheykilledkenny » Tue May 10, 2011 2:30 pm

I've got a Jay Turser copy. It's a cheapy for sure but it has a very cool sound to it. I've got an old set of D'Addario Half Rounds on there.

The top and back of mine are arched, and if I recall correctly, the real one that I played when I was in Vancouver also hadd an arch top and back. Not sure how accurate it is to a real one, but I'd be happy to take some measurements for you if you'd like.

Travis
If yer ears ain't ringing, yer amp ain't singing! -JimiJames

axeman2ooo

Post by axeman2ooo » Tue May 10, 2011 9:39 pm

duuuuuude!!! any photos or measurements you could take would be a godsend!
a photo of the guitars side with a ruler should help me, as it will show the thickness and arches, and i can draw it straight in, using the ruler as an accurate guide (so far, I have used photos from the net)
also, a photo of the front, square-on for both photos would be legendary!
any other pics you can throw in would be awesome!
email is axeman@live.com.au
thankyou thank you thankyou! :D

ohmygodtheykilledkenny

Post by ohmygodtheykilledkenny » Wed May 11, 2011 11:50 am

I should be able to get you some good photos by tonight or tomorrow. I'll use my pool table and a step ladder to get the pics as square on as possible.

I used to have a couple pieces of white cardstock that I could draw a metric grid pattern on to help you get the dimensions as accurate as you can. No promises on that one though. :P I'll probably just use some green painters tape, square that up on the top, sides and back, then sharpie in metric measurments, either direct to the tape or in a seperate legend.

I'll do my best to get this done for tonight, if not I'll get it done tomorrow.

Cheers,

Travis

axeman2ooo

Post by axeman2ooo » Wed May 11, 2011 12:05 pm

absolutely legendary!!
if the tape / sharpie deal is too complex, a ruler is fine. can be metric or imperial, I dont mind... I can go either way in my software!
would you like me to email you the final product when it is done? I am thinking of printing and sticking to my music room wall... let me know, and I can get you a PDF or something.

thanks in advance!

:D

ohmygodtheykilledkenny

Post by ohmygodtheykilledkenny » Fri May 13, 2011 12:54 am

Just so you know, I haven't forgotten, one of my genius friends has my camera and hasn't been around for me to pick it up. I'm stopping by his apartement on my way home tomorrow to grab it.

What details would you like? I know you want square on front and back, as well as side to determine thickness and top curvature. Anythink else you can think of?

axeman2ooo

Post by axeman2ooo » Fri May 13, 2011 1:42 am

:D what a champ! nah it's ok, I have been busy myself...
if you could get one of the headstock (front and back as i am unsure of exact hole positions and rear profile) neck heel joint at body (I think i have it right, but unsure) and pickguard? anything else is a bonus!

man, I feel spoilt! the guys at hofner hounds have given me the silent treatment... and here, someone is willing to help!!
would you like a copy of the plans when I am done? I am drawing as a lefty, but I can flip for you, if you want a righty copy?
:)

ohmygodtheykilledkenny

Post by ohmygodtheykilledkenny » Fri May 13, 2011 4:07 pm

Yeah man that would be gnarly! I figured you'd want the neck joint. I'm not totally sure how accurate the headstock is but I will grab shots regardless. Want me to grab a shot through the pickup routes too?

axeman2ooo

Post by axeman2ooo » Sat May 14, 2011 10:56 pm

ha! yeah that'd be awesome too!!! seriously, I will accept any pics you have, the more the better... :D

axeman2ooo

Post by axeman2ooo » Tue May 17, 2011 9:12 pm

How'd you go with the photos?
get any good ones? :D

ohmygodtheykilledkenny

Post by ohmygodtheykilledkenny » Tue May 17, 2011 11:57 pm

I took some on Saturday, but I wanna reshoot them with different settings on my camera. These ones had too much glare, because of the flash, so I'm gonna turn on all the halogens in my basement and shoot with a daytime setting to see if I can get you some more detailed shots. They looked alright on the camera screen, but were definitely not so hot on the computer.

I'm giving you measurements in metric since it's easier to make precise measurements for me. I'm giving you widths at multiple points across the back (they'll be the same as the front, but easier for you to get and good visual on), length from bottom to butt of neck on the back, length from bottom to base of fretboard on top, neck length, and widths from top of neck and base. I've got a measurement for thickness too. The curve of the top and back are iffy, since the real one that I tried definitley had a deeper carved feel. I guess for $250 cash I can't expect a spot on replica. :P I'll still grab a couple reference shots for you though. The neck on the real Hoff felt different too, maybe a touch deeper. Again I still shoot some for reference.

I've done my best to keep things squared up so the dimensions will be as close as I can get them.

As I said I'll also throw in other non measurement shots like pickup routes etc so you can see how it was put together inside. I'd also like to add that you might wanna throw a little more weight in the body as my clone is bloody neck heavy (since the rest is sooooo light).

It'll be done by tomorrow night or I'm sending you funds for a couple pints.

Cheers,

Travis

axeman2ooo

Post by axeman2ooo » Wed May 18, 2011 3:07 am

dude, you are an absolute legend!!
it sounds almost too good to be true!
even a replica, as they are made to replicate, they are pretty close (most times) so anything is better than the 3/4 shots i have to work from at the moment...
I am planning a bit more weight in the body, as I usually use American Maple in the body (a lovely grain on it!) as it sounds fantastic (same as a neck is usually made from...)
would you like a copy of the plans when I am done?
let me know when you email, or do you think people would like the plans posted here? what does everyone else think... interested in a copy?
thanks again!!! :D

axeman@live.com.au