VH tone with modern gear

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

dmcguitar

VH tone with modern gear

Post by dmcguitar » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:51 pm

So, I know alot of this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I would like to hear some opinions of modern(new) gear and getting a VH tone. I would prefer to buy something rather than build it (and the fact that kits are no longer readily available makes that an easier decision.) Also I would like to buy something easily accesible from most stores or a Guitar Center. I will probalby be trading an older guitar or two it towards some new gear.

I can't afford 3k for a plexi replica (or the volume it would produce to get the right tone.)

So, obviously there is the new evh gear, I am debating on trading my guitars in for a Wolfgang (std.) (i have considered an axis, but the little things in the evh wolfie are attractive, like the SS frets, and the graphite reinforcement)
And I may get the 5150iii 50 watt when that comes out, as it should just be a more compact but same sounding head (unlike the 5150 -> 5150ii transition)

My goals would be to first four album VH, and Carnal Knowledge / balance tones; with earlier tones being more important.

Since all of the new EVH gear has actually been out for a while, has anyone given the III and evh wolfie a run through paired together? Does it get "close enough" to old VH.

So of course most of the board is very experienced in the VH arena feel free to offer opinions on other equipment that I can get the sound with. Is there a better guitar / amp to go with, obviously i can always put a frankenstein pickup into any other guitar, but i want that sound still, so consider woods; and the feel of the neck should be similar to the wolfie.

Thanks for the help.
www.atomicfury.com

that's my band, Im the sole guitarist. Go ahead listen and tell me what you think.. of the band. or me.

-5150II
-custom (I made) 2x12 cab
-custom (I made) strat guitar
-Wayne strat

Tone Slinger

Re: VH tone with modern gear

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:36 am

I'd say that if you can get Ed's vibe and feel, as a player, then you shouldnt have much trouble with the amp. The new Fender EVH amps sound real good, from what I've heard.

Still, if I were you, I would look into getting a kit/clone of somesort. A 1959 or 1987 type circuit. Ceriatone has some more affordable kits. You could check Ebay for a 'clone' build. Metro is the WAY to go for a complete build. They can do whatever you want, but this kind of quality isnt cheap.

I'd stick with the Marshall type circuits if I were you. 1959/2203 or 1987/2204 type circuits.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

halen795
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by halen795 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:00 am

I have a 5150III and an EVH Wolfgang; I love the guitar and love the amp; however, it is not the VHI tone. I would say its not even Carnal Knowledge tone. I have owned a Music Man, the Peavey, and now the EVH. Without question, my favorite neck on any guitar is the Musci Man, but the body never seemed to fit me very well (but I am 6'1). On the other hand, I love the Wolfgang body and feel. As far as the amp, I have a 5150 and a 5150III; the III is just much more compatible with multiple tones and the clean channel is much nicer. I would recommend the guitar and amp to anyone because I have played several shows with them and they have done the job very well; however, I was in a much better financial position when I bought the guitar; is it worth 3k?!?! Probably not because my $400 Wolfgang special sounds and plays just as nice. I compare the guitar to having a car; it is nice to have leather seats and chrome rims, but cloth seats work just as good; it just depends on how much your comfortable with spending...

As Tone Slinger mentioned, getting a kit/clone; I would love to do something like that but just don't have the knowledge or resources right now; thus, the EVH gear has been great for me, but in the future, I would like to get more into experimenting; but I like sleeping in my bed and if I buy anymore stuff right now, the wife will put me on the couch...!!! :rock:
FYI, I looked at the EVH site today and noticed the 50 watt version is now available; thats where my next investment will be!

landers5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by landers5150 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:20 pm

Now i have a Marshall JVM210H and i think i will get you in the ball park stock (even closer if you get the 410H due to OD1 channel), it also has that Marshall flavour everyone loves. I picked one up new for £500 a few months ago and i love it. Its also really versatile. Everything form super clean to utlra high gain. All chanels sound great. And it even sounds amazing a talking volume (thats right a 100W that sounds good that quite, and still with plenty of gain). Really cant say enough about how good this amp is.

As for guitar i have the Japan Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas, swaped out the JB for DSD. They play great are really well made and it is hands down the best sounding guitar i have ever played. Quality is unbelievable to £600!

I think this will get you in the ball park for VH, thats what i shout for and i really dig it. Decent VH tone for £1100... :drool:

HARLEYIII

Post by HARLEYIII » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:52 am

People can say what you want, but if you got the hands, then you can get close using modern stuff (or not so modern).

Ive heard my Broe do some really impressive "brown" with my 80's Randall RG100ES's (George lynch used to used these mixed w Marshalls) and his 4 input JCM100's , and with STOCK 79-80 JMP 2203's... with cabs that had 65 watt celestions, and g12k85's.

I heard a guy in a club get REALLY close, using a Peavey 6505 with a Marshall 1960B that had junk ass 75's in it (stock speakers) and a stock TS808 reissue and a boss super chorus. You could tell though that the guy had been playing Ed's stuff for years.

Not saying the right gear isnt necessary, but if you got the hands.. you've got the hardest part (to me) dicked. :vh: :evh: :dlr:
My Marshalls aint feedin' back....They're Laughin' at your Line-6