single coil pickup question

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

dmcguitar

single coil pickup question

Post by dmcguitar » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:09 am

I am installing stacked single coils (humbucking singles) into a strat, and if i use the oem pickup covers from the stock pickups (which match the pickguard / knobs better) there is about 1/4" of coil windings exposed under the pickguard. The stock pickups are not hum canceling and the depth is obviously different, but my question is will this exposed coil cause any issues? Does a strat pickup coil windings need to be completely covered? If so, can i just wrap electrical tape around it?

Thanks
Dave
www.atomicfury.com

that's my band, Im the sole guitarist. Go ahead listen and tell me what you think.. of the band. or me.

-5150II
-custom (I made) 2x12 cab
-custom (I made) strat guitar
-Wayne strat

toner

Re: single coil pickup question

Post by toner » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:15 am

It's not a problem as long as the exposed coil isn't touching anything metallic. The plastic covers have no effect on the sound or noise.

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: single coil pickup question

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:25 pm

toner wrote:It's not a problem as long as the exposed coil isn't touching anything metallic. The plastic covers have no effect on the sound or noise.
+1.

I wouldnt even wrap them with tape... why take the chance of friggin' up the coil wire? As long as the covers go over the pickups easily, and there's no issue with the pickup mounting screws and springs, I wouldnt worry about it at all.
:D