Modern production strats /w 6 screw tremolo

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

spazowsky
Just the numbers in order: 7

Modern production strats /w 6 screw tremolo

Post by spazowsky » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Going for the Whiskey & Starwood 1976 vibe and the best bang for the buck here.
Oversea shipment cost kills KNE/Musikraft option for me. So who's got them?

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-s ... ewood.html
Models with humbucker comes with FR only, will cut the pickguard, change pots and install a DSD there. Anyone played these?

Where else should I be looking?

julkke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Modern production strats /w 6 screw tremolo

Post by julkke » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:48 pm

Go test a Squier vintage modified hss strat. Bang for buck I'd say. Of course Fenders are great too. There are so many 6 screw trem strats around you gotta go test them.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:18 pm

What's the amp ? Alder, ?-Ash or Basswood ? or Mahogany like vanhalen5150
New/old DSD ? (night&day)

Don't know about these modern ESP's, but the early 90's ones were excellent all around.
Craftsmanship & Quality. Built very, very well. Top notch MIJ.
On the Squire's, it's the older ones that kick ass, but for a more recent model I would do the Fender Lite Ash's.
Best bang for the buck with a few things to change out upgrading to taste, but they're mostly 2 pivot/fulcrum model bridges...

Do what Art/axeman did and get it in the non swimming pool spec. In otherwords, just like an old Strat :wink:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

julkke

Post by julkke » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:43 pm

JimiJames wrote:What's the amp ? Alder, ?-Ash or Basswood ? or Mahogany like vanhalen5150
New/old DSD ? (night&day)

Don't know about these modern ESP's, but the early 90's ones were excellent all around.
Craftsmanship & Quality. Built very, very well. Top notch MIJ.
On the Squire's, it's the older ones that kick ass, but for a more recent model I would do the Fender Lite Ash's.
Best bang for the buck with a few things to change out upgrading to taste, but they're mostly 2 pivot/fulcrum model bridges...

Do what Art/axeman did and get it in the non swimming pool spec. In otherwords, just like an old Strat :wink:

Have you played the more expensive (+300$) current production Indonesian squiers? The quality has gone up a lot and the classic vibe and vintage modified series get praised even throughout internet gear forums. :shock: They really are great guitars, and a very good bang for the buck. IMO, of course.

spazowsky

Post by spazowsky » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:55 pm

This will be played through Bugera 1960 and a closed back Bugera 412 cab.
Alder, new DSD.
JimiJames wrote:(...)Do what Art/axeman did and get it in the non swimming pool spec. In otherwords, just like an old Strat :wink:
Haha, yeah will definitely get the drill out. Thanks for pointing this out, will have to research how particular models are routed.
julkke wrote:Go test a Squier vintage modified hss strat. Bang for buck I'd say. Of course Fenders are great too. There are so many 6 screw trem strats around you gotta go test them.
Thanks, added to playtest list.

My most concern is the bridge quality. I can get the feel of the neck before buying but won't be able to judge that. As for other hardware, would love the staggered tuners.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:01 pm

julkke wrote:...Have you played the more expensive (+300$) current production Indonesian squiers? The quality has gone up a lot and the classic vibe and vintage modified series get praised even throughout internet gear forums. :shock: They really are great guitars, and a very good bang for the buck. IMO, of course.
...yes...
THE FUCKING NECK SHRINKS ! Image
:lol:

Oh ! Forgot to mention other great options for availability overseas are
the Burny's, Greco's & Tokai's. I would also check Fender Japan that everyone usually forgets... :wink:

julkke

Post by julkke » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:12 pm

Guess I've had good luck with squiers then. ;) I definitely agree on the Japan strats.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:23 pm

Good, man ! There is definitely a beneficial way to weed the new Squires out. Definitely not all are inferior.
I love, own & owned many older Squires over the years... :wink: The new ones...? Well, let's say there are better options.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:55 am

Another thing to consider about a 6 screw tremelo is the spacing. Most of the budget models (Fender Mexican standard,newer Squire, etc) use the thinner, non vintage 2 1/16th (center of high e mounting hole to the center of the low e mounting hole on the tremelo plate). This is about like a Gibson. The vintage Fender, reissue's and most American made Strats use the wider, vintage correct 2 4/16ths width. You can tell by just looking, with a bit of practice.

That pic of Ed with the sunburst strat was early '77 I think. Bootleggers have said they hear no tremelo until early '77. Maybe those pics were mistakenly dated ? The stuff said to be the '76 Golden West Ballroom (VH opened for UFO at that gig) was actually an early '77 gig, NOT the actual '76 show.

Anyways, boots from alot of the early '77 stuff sounds as good, if not BETTER than anything Ed did afterwards, so that is testament that the Sunburst strat sounded real good.

I say, go and play a bunch of strats (go with the vintage width tremelo spacing) and snatch the one up that sounds and feels the best to you. A good dremel with a routing plate is all you need to put a humbucker in there.

The old Squire's (Japan) and basically ANYTHING from Japan (especially '75 through '85) would be top notch. Current MIJ Fender's are also excellent. Maybe you could order parts from a local builder, etc.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

spazowsky

Post by spazowsky » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:39 pm

I love the Golden West Ballroom bootleg, along with the Magic Mountain one from late '77. Can't help myself but I associate those bootlegs with musikfoto pictures now, haha.
Had a bit of playtesting since my last post. Tried a few S/S/S and H/S/S Squiers and a LTD. I liked the neck of the LTD the most. However after a bit of research, turns out the LTD and both Squire lines (Classic Vibe, Vintage Modified) all have non vintage 2 1/16th tremolo spacing.
Just a thought, if Ed's strat is an import, it might be non vintage spacing, too.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:15 pm

The era Ed's would have been from,if it indeed was an import, would be accurate vintage spacing. The Japanese were filling the 'void' in the American market with very accurate pre CBS style and build quality. My old Tokai strat bridges are vintage spec. The only thing different about them is the spacing of the holes that attach the block to the base plate. The 6 screw holes and saddle width is the same as vintage/USA Fender.
I think that the Golden West Ballroom stuff (incorrectly dated '76, actually is '77) was indeed the sunburst strat. Ed had the Hb'er a tad further away from the bridge on it, than he did with the all black Franky or the B&W Franky era's.The Golden West Ballroom boots are a touch more warm with slightly less 'zing', some may prefer it to the album tone.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)