59 Burst replica nearing the finish line...

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: 59 Burst replica nearing the finish line...

Post by Scumback Speakers » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:17 pm

neikeel wrote:Nice!
How does it feel/sound? (particularly vs a stock RI and I guess, unfairly vs an original, or let's say a Gil Yaron?). I really like my RO, it is only the VOS and I am intent on ageing it myself with gigs and usage, should be doing an A/B with a real burst through a crop of my Marshalls very soon :thumbsup:
It needs slight adjustments to be right (neck relief, action, pickup height, etc) and since it's got a neck profile like my 59 Junior, it's slightly bigger than my 68 LP Custom. Since I put 60 year old pickups/parts in it for tone, that's pretty awesome sounding so far. I really haven't played an R9 LP any newer than a 2001 or 2002, so I can't tell you (same for any newer Gibson, Custom Shop, or Historic) how it compares. Sorry. It's definitely not broken in yet, pots are still very stiff, so I may change those out, or have Jim Wagner sell me some of his that he does the break in on so they turn easier. And I've been hurting my fingers a bunch. I've got maybe an hour of play time on it, and since I haven't played since last October, guess who's got ruts on their left fingertips and a layer of skin coming off? Long story short, it sounds great, but I need to get my playing in shape to match it.
syscokid wrote:The guitar is beautiful, Jim. Hope you're feeling better!
Docs changed all my meds, my diet, new rehab program and workout three weeks ago. I'm stronger, but it's like two steps forward, one step back on the food to find out what I can tolerate. In the meantime, I've gone from 253 lbs in October to 207 now. And it seems I'll keep losing a few more as my core weight/water retension scenario stabilizes. You know, it's harder to shop when you're restricted to 2000 calories per day, with low salt/sodium/etc food. My wife had to go to four grocery stores yesterday to get food for the week.

And here's a cautionary thought...cheating with your old diet will make you ill. I went and had pancakes yesterday, with blueberry syrup (typically a Yum Yum! type breakfast dish). I was sick to my stomach for five hours afterward. It sucks to know that what you were eating for 50 plus years has such a negative effect on you so quickly after you start eating right.

Oh well, it beats the crap out of hospital stays. Back to watching golf at Pebble Beach...it's sunny there today, and looks incredible on TV.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:43 pm

Well, if it's anything like those Derrig's you had at the LA Amp show... :clap: :thumbsup: :rock:

Get well, Jimmy!!! I'd love to hear it person when you're better!
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:35 pm

Anyday but Sunday or after noon on Saturday, Chief. LOL
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632