Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Re: Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

Post by NY Chief » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:50 pm

fillmore nyc wrote: Im in California right now visiting my Mom, sister and brother... .

AGAIN and you STILL didn't stop byy for a beer?!?!?!?!?!!? :what: :shrug: :toast:

BTW, I'll be right over to check out that little Lester.....

How does the neck "chunk" compare to the JB Oxblood you had, filly?
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

worldoftone
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by worldoftone » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:41 pm

If I had to grab one and go on the road it would have to be my '63. Good all-around for playing all types of music just about, and is one of the best playing guitars I have ever owned.

- WOT
I smell tubes.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:28 pm

worldoftone wrote:If I had to grab one and go on the road it would have to be my '63. Good all-around for playing all types of music just about, and is one of the best playing guitars I have ever owned.

- WOT

Hey WOT!!!!! Where ya been, Bro???
Still loving that '64!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

MacGaden
Wiki Editor
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by MacGaden » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:50 pm

My white´64, had it since ´89, is the standard I judge all guitars by, not just Strats. It´s resonant, it sings all over the fretboard, the treble is smooth, but clear, the bottom is big, but firm.. It will do anything, and I´ll never part with it. I´ve played it everywhere, and still do. I have others, but.. It´s my guitar. Simple as that.
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

worldoftone

Post by worldoftone » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Still loving that '64!
AWESOME!!! I was wondering if you still had it!!! Took a job with the US Navy and moved to MD. Before that I was so busy as a full-time contractor for the USAF, running the amp shop full-time and playing with 2 - 3 bands. I about lost it.

65 - 80 hrs a week month after month after month. Had to change something. I was walking dead bro.

So, now I have steady, good paying work :rock: HATED to shut down the amp shop (and soooo many folks were bummed) but I've got it set up here again and am slowly getting back into it.

Sorry for dropping off the radar :bang: Just texted with George yesterday and I don't think I had spoken to him for about three-years. YIKES . . . Didn't realize all the stuff he's been going thru after reading all the threads here. Time really got away from me.

- WOT
I smell tubes.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Glad to have you back, WOT!! Whatcha been up to, training SEALs??? :whistle:

Oh yeah, she's my number axe, ain't goin nowhere. Had my luthier drop in fresh jumbo frets. Plays and sounds great. I need another....'

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

worldoftone

Post by worldoftone » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:55 pm

Yeah heh heh heh ;) you never know what I MAY be up to LOL. I wish it were that exciting. Speaking about Strats Chief, check out this '54 I picked up a while back:

I still find 'em . . . although got this one via a HUGE tip from a friend.

I need to play that '64 with jumbos heh heh . . . :thumbsup:

- WOT
I smell tubes.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:38 pm

worldoftone wrote:
Still loving that '64!
AWESOME!!! I was wondering if you still had it!!! Took a job with the US Navy and moved to MD. Before that I was so busy as a full-time contractor for the USAF, running the amp shop full-time and playing with 2 - 3 bands. I about lost it.

65 - 80 hrs a week month after month after month. Had to change something. I was walking dead bro.

So, now I have steady, good paying work :rock: HATED to shut down the amp shop (and soooo many folks were bummed) but I've got it set up here again and am slowly getting back into it.

Sorry for dropping off the radar :bang: Just texted with George yesterday and I don't think I had spoken to him for about three-years. YIKES . . . Didn't realize all the stuff he's been going thru after reading all the threads here. Time really got away from me.

- WOT
:thumbsup:
Neil

MacGaden
Wiki Editor
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by MacGaden » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:02 am

neikeel wrote:
worldoftone wrote:
Still loving that '64!

- WOT
:thumbsup:
:thumbsup: from me too. Good to hear all is well, WOT.
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:42 am

WOT ! what up dawg ! :D
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:07 pm

worldoftone wrote: I need to play that '64 with jumbos heh heh . . . :thumbsup:

- WOT

ANYTIME, my friend!!!! But you gotta bring that '54 for collateral!!! :drool:

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

worldoftone

Post by worldoftone » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:44 pm

HA HA you BET I can do that Chief! :rockon: '54 v. '64 heh heh

I'll try not to be such a stranger fellas! Good to "see" some of you again! :toast:

- WOT
I smell tubes.

T.L.

Post by T.L. » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:43 pm

I had a co-worker (now deceased) who had an all original & mint-condition 1960 Les Paul Classic that he'd had since 1968. He was an old "hippie" and Vietnam vet, and just a super nice guy. He told me to check it out & play it. I said "no, that's okay", but he insisted. It's not like we had known each other for many years. He wouldn't take "no" for an answer, so I did (carefully). It was really nice. I gotta say; if it were my guitar, I'd be pretty picky about who I'd let play it.
Last edited by T.L. on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Its true, 'MOST' will not let others play their vintage Les Pauls. Its not like that with strats......most people will let you play vintage strats no problem. I guess its all about the $$$. Big difference between a $38,000 late 50's Strat and a $100,000 late '50's Les Paul (all about that $$$ :what: )

Back to the topic. As much as I like vintage strats, there is something to the 'Parts Caster', I just love the whole '70's Charvel & Boogie Bodies push to get the player more of what they want. Be it a flatter fretboard, bigger frets, choice wood and hardware/electronics, etc. With a nice Fender (of any '50's/'60's/'70's era) the LAST thing you would want to do is change/mod it. I just like being able to 'Fuck around' with things with no regret, so a good parts source is great (Warmoth, USA Custom, Musikraft, KnE, etc).
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

T.L.

Post by T.L. » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:55 am

The reason I built my Warmoth Strat is so I could have it the way I wanted without having to pay the Fender Custom Shop to build it for me, plus I just enjoyed doing it on my own. Leo designed Strats the way Leo liked them, but I designed mine the way I like it for my personal taste which is basically to just improve upon the original design. Locking tuners, Graph Tech nut, the neck thickness & contour I like, the F-board radius I like, the fretwire size I like, the finish I like, machine-screw inserts, the bridge & saddles I like, the pickups I like, the color I like, and ONE knob. This also includes the modern Fender contoured heel on the back.

This guitar cost me about one-third of a Custom Shop order.

Yep, I love Parts-casters too. :thumbsup:
Last edited by T.L. on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.