Floyd Rose tone- top mount vs. recessed

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone Slinger

Re: Floyd Rose tone- top mount vs. recessed

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Looks fantastic ! I'm very happy with both of my KNE's and would reccomend them over anybody else.
So, what kinda finish/style are you going for ?
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by chrisom » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Can't decide. The grain is so nice, I'm tempted to shoot it with Stewart McDonald clear vintage amber followed by a clear coat, with a black pick guard and single cream DSD humbucker ala Pete Thorn, but with a brass big block to reduce edginess. I want a Warmoth vintage-modern maple neck with straight 12" radius, big frets and a '68 shaped headstock. And a single white "tone" (volume) knob... 8) :vh:

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Should I use a clear sanding sealer as a base coat, and if so, what is recommended?

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:18 am

Or something like this, but with a yellowed clear lacquer instead of white, and the larger headstock with a Charvel logo... :thumbsup:
Asuza SM.JPG
Asuza SM.JPG (30.25 KiB) Viewed 4345 times

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:18 am

Yeah, I agree, keep that nice grain pattern visible :thumbsup: . Are you gonna grain fill ? If so the Timber Mate wood filler is real good.Just get the right shade, and mix it to a pan cake batter consistancy (use small thimbel sized clumps and dizzolve/mix in water. A little goes a long way). Use a old credit card and drag the product over the guitar.One or two coats, allowing time to cure and sand between coats,should be fine (2 days time). Then I would clear coat. I'd personally just use the clear nitro gloss. One,maybe two cans. Then give it the tinted stewmac. I would use a stain instead of the pre colored Stew Mac. Thier vintage amber is the inside color of a Gibson Sun Burst. Has alot of that yellow/orange to it. If you go for the stain you have better control over the color you want. Then, all you do is stain after you fill, then give it one or two cans of the clear. Less paint=better tone/resonance :D .
I'm sure you probly already know all this,just want to offer any tips I have.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:31 am

Actually I wasn't sure how to go about it, so thanks for the tips. I'd kinda like to get a '50's RI butterscotch Tele color (not blonde) if at all possible... any ideas? :scratch:

Edit: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technic ... inish.html

Guitar Reranch Butterscotch spray aerosol cans (Gibson and Fender colors):
http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/fencuscol.html
http://www.reranch.com/gallery/butterscotchtele.htm :thumbsup:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:33 am

Looks like the 'butterscotch blond' is what you want. So grain fill (Timber Mate is great, the little 8oz.size would fill 4-5 guitar bodies),then clear coat,then maybe do the white primer (not sure about this), then hit it with the butterscotch blond. Should look pretty darn sweet :thumbsup: .

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:19 am

Something like this, but with a Floyd Rose, humbucker and big headstock...
Butterscotch Strat.jpeg
Butterscotch Strat.jpeg (31.52 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:50 pm

chrisom wrote:Can't decide. The grain is so nice, I'm tempted to shoot it with Stewart McDonald clear vintage amber followed by a clear coat, with a black pick guard and single cream DSD humbucker ala Pete Thorn, but with a brass big block to reduce edginess. I want a Warmoth vintage-modern maple neck with straight 12" radius, big frets and a '68 shaped headstock. And a single white "tone" (volume) knob... 8) :vh:
If you can find one on eBay (and at a reasonable price) a titanium tremolo block for the Floyd is the (end all/be all) of all floyd tremolo blocks. I got one a ways back from a guy on eBay who was machining Aerospace quality titanium for Floyd blocks and at a very reasonable price. Titanium is the absolute shit.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:23 am

After reading reviews of both, I went ahead and got the 42mm fat Brass block from Floyd Rose Upgrades via ZZ Sounds- but they're cheap enough to experiment with, so in the future I may try out the titanium once I see how I like the brass. I also ordered some "Fender" style butterscotch blonde from Reranch. Heres' another (MS Paint- altered) pic of what I'm shooting for- except with a humbucker and a Floyd... 8)
Butter_Ash_Strat.JPG
Butter_Ash_Strat.JPG (55.91 KiB) Viewed 4256 times

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:10 pm

Well, 2.5 years later, I'm finally getting around to putting my ash KnE Azusa 'Frankie' Charvel replica together. :lol: I'm still waiting on the white EMG 85X pickup I ordered to arrive which will replace the bridge position on my EMG DG20 setup I already have. The Floyd Rose came off of a 1984 Kramer guitar. ReRanch Olympic White lacquer. Maybe I should have used Arctic White instead..? I bought a Warmoth Vintage/Modern neck with Dunlop 6100 frets, and I really love the neck and body combo. I went back and forth with making an EVH tribute guitar, but decided- I like Eddie, but I play more than just VH stuff and that's alot of $$$ to sink into just a tribute guitar. So I took the best parts I liked from Gary Moore's white Charvel/Jackson, the Adrian Smith Jackson and Prince's white EMG Fender Stratocaster w/ Floyd Rose...

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:28 am

Looks sweet man, and I totally agree, a single hb'er guitar (ala EVH) is such a one trick pony that really is useless to a musician looking for 'sounds', FAR too mono-chromatic . A fully loaded (3 pu) strat is the most versatile electric around imo :thumbsup:

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:21 am

All done, except for some residual fine adjustment of action and harmonics. Sounds and plays terrific! Hats off to Warmoth, KnE, EMG and Floyd Rose! Anyone with reservations about doing a build need not worry- Everything lined up perfectly between the KnE and the Warmoth and the Floyd Rose. One of the nicest-playing bolt-on instruments I've played. Very Nice! Read the reviews of the EMG85X if you don't like active pickups. Greatly improved. Love the 42mm fat Brass block from Floyd Rose Upgrades too!