Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: strat tone circuit

Post by JimiJames » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:04 pm

planetjimi wrote:"... I'm using the Dimarzio Area pickups by the way ..."
Oh ? !
Sorry, I overlooked that...
The illustration you posted and the mentioning of a SSS setup & singlecoils threw me off.

In the bottom left footnote of that wiring diagram would refer to DiMarzio and with your set wired
with the B/W soldered together and Red/hot and Grn/gnd.

These are very good sounding "noise cancelling" style pickups. Noted for their Single coil likeness without the hum.
Also in your illustration it shows a traditional selector switch.
IIRC that config needs to function properly in all 5 positions without any phasing, volume or noise issues,
it would probably need their special switch.

...stop cutting wires ! :P
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

planetjimi

Post by planetjimi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:09 pm

JimiJames wrote:
planetjimi wrote:"... I'm using the Dimarzio Area pickups by the way ..."
Oh ? !
Sorry, I overlooked that...
The illustration you posted and the mentioning of a SSS setup & singlecoils threw me off.

In the bottom left footnote of that wiring diagram would refer to DiMarzio and with your set wired
with the B/W soldered together and Red/hot and Grn/gnd.

These are very good sounding "noise cancelling" style pickups. Noted for their Single coil likeness without the hum.
Also in your illustration it shows a traditional selector switch.
IIRC that config needs to function properly in all 5 positions without any phasing, volume or noise issues,
it would probably need their special switch.

...stop cutting wires ! :P
HA! I just wanted to see if it made a difference without taking it all apart. I looked at pictures of the prewired area pickguards at musiciansfriend, and they are using the standard 5 way.

I have a new idea ... I like the way the bridge pickup sounds. I still want to get a little more high end/shimmer out the neck and middle. I'm thinking I can give up one of the tone controls and put in a second volume for the neck and middle, but use a 500K instead of the current 250k. So the bridge would use a 250k and the neck and middle would use a 500k. Does anybody know of an existing diagram out there they can point me to for this setup, or will I have to figure this out on my own?

Thanks Guys!

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:55 pm

planetjimi wrote:"...and they are using the standard 5 way..."[/u][/b]

I have a new idea ...the neck and middle would use a 500k. ...
Excellent approach, respectively ! Try out a A300k while you're at it. Another option in your wiring including Tones 1&2 could be a very transparent cap or 2 separate dedicated.
Check '50's, '60's, '70's era wiring's (include Signature Series) for best sound that works with your gear and sum of all your parts to include your techsneaque.

O.K. the only other option that can be had with a traditional 5-way utilizing the SSS config of 3 hum-cancelling/stacked single coil pickups TMK is to not use the bottom coil . This way it would function like the most common HSH style guitars.
Pro's & Con's there of course...

~Jimmie

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:19 pm

I think I found what you are referring to and I see that it is a traditional switch
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... -pickguard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Also on DiMarzio http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/pre-wir ... -pickguard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The Area ‘67™ 's are especially recommended for the neck and middle"
Middle position in a SSS single coil config's are reverse wound and calibrated for that...
... Is that what is going on here? Maybe someone can tell?
I've never seen 3 stacked in a 5-way config without that fancy switch... :shrug:

BTW I didn't see any mention of a 5-way in the description except what they show in the video.

yladrd61
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by yladrd61 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:21 am

I like 3 real Single coils best on a Strat, with a 5 position switch, with 250K pots, the only pickup that needs a tone control is the bridge, so hook up the tone to the bridge pickup with a .047uf cap, and I disconnect the last tone pot. :thumbsup: