Resonance Mod for guitar tone control, ala YMI5150's Model A

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Compulsor
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Resonance Mod for guitar tone control, ala YMI5150's Model A

Post by Compulsor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:51 pm

Hello all- only my second post here, what an amazing forum! SO much great knowledge, I'm quivering. Mad that somehow I've missed it for so long, but I'm here now.
I've been playing/hording for many years, and recently pushed on into the DIY arena.
Which brings me to the title of my post. I was listening to XM radio this morning, and heard a GREAT example of Ritchie Blackmore tone at it's finest, and commenced researching how he got that tone. My digging lead to an equally great article on woodytone.com (first visit there today too!) about how he worked directly with Jim Marshall to create his own amp based on the 200 watt, and some sort of AKAI tape-deck-as-pre-amp trickery.
http://www.woodytone.com/2009/04/20/rit ... re-part-1/
I was so pleased with that article that I dug somemore, then pulled up tale of someone chasing the "Fair Warning" tone; IMHO, best VH album, after the 1st, because, well, it was the 1st.
THAT lead me to a 'related' article about the YMI5150, in which the creator credited Metroamp.com as a great resource for him during the guitars development,
http://www.woodytone.com/2012/06/05/mor ... -a-guitar/
I'd love to buy a Model A, but don't have the scratch. What I do have is a bunch of parts/guitars that sounded like they could start me on the road towards a build of my own; a sort of poor man's Model A.
But in the article, the builder, Kevin Holbrook, talks about the key to the whole thing being a 'resonance mod' that some of the members here brainstormed with him about, and though I've searched feverishly here, but can find nothing.
Can anyone give me a 'for dummies' version of how a man might cobble together such a devilish device? I've got some parts that seem to fit the mold to start with: a vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion, a 'mule' Strat, ripe for modding, a new 500K pot and toggle switch, a TBX I could harvest out of my beat up old Tele, and various other bits and bobs.
Thanks to anyone with tips that'll help me have a go at a poor man's version of his amazing instrument, espl the 'resonance mod', shrouded in mystery.
Thanks all

fhn_lopes
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Resonance Mod for guitar tone control, ala YMI5150's Mod

Post by fhn_lopes » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:14 pm

YMI5150 is a member here too. We lost ALL, yes, ALL the uploads at the whole forum database. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

That's a shame, but fortunately most of us have some pieces in our PCs to try to put the stuff up together again. Maybe YMI5150 has all the info and will show up soon. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Welcome, BTW :mrgreen:
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks