Homemade guitar - Kramer / EVH inspired

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mikefont
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Homemade guitar - Kramer / EVH inspired

Post by mikefont » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:25 pm

Hey guys,

I thought I'd share pics of a recent build. I ordered some bodies & necks from Musikraft with thoughts on building a couple of guitars...one being a Kramer 5150 replica, and one inspired by the 5150. (kinda imagining a hybrid between Eddie's Franky & 5150...kinda LOL)

So what I have here is:

Body: Musikraft "Kramer Pacer" in Northern Ash
Neck: Musikraft 1 piece "Banana" neck, Roasted Birdeye Maple, 1 5/8" nut, 12" radius, thin C back, 6100 Jumbo nickel frets
Pickup: Seymour Duncan IM1 humbucker
Bridge: Floyd Rose limited 1984 trem with a Fat Tungsten sustain block

I sanded & stained the body orange, sprayed a sealer coat on, then grain filled with a brown filler (thought about using a black filler, but didn't want to get into "tiger stripes" territory...might have been cool though). I then sealed it with Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, and Gunstock Wax. I wanted a nice slick body that would breathe and resonate (no hard tone killing poly-coats here...LOL).
I also used my scroll saw to round off the heel (matching a Fender neck plate) for easier access to the upper fretboard.

As far as the pics...it was really bright outside, so the wood grain didn't look quite right and was harder to see. It's more visible under normal lighting.

As far as how it sounds...I cant stop playing it! The Ash body, IM1 humbuckers and the Tungsten block go VERY well together! And to me, it can get some pretty convincing early VH tones using it thru my Bray 4550 Deluxe.

Currently in tonal HEAVEN with my Bray 4550 Deluxe!