humbucker help

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:50 pm

77custom wrote:F.Y.I. The 490 and 498's are not ceramic. They are alnico V's. Personally I love them. I took out the weak t-tops, the Tim Shaws, the circuit board Gibson/Bill Lawrance that came stock with most of my Les Pauls and replaced them with the 490/498 series. Although I'm really diggin' the DiMarzio Air Norton in the bridge, even tho most like to use it in the neck. BTW, I am not a fan of Dimarzio, but the Air Nortons impressed me. Hey, to each his own!
they still sound like garbage.

monsterwalley

Post by monsterwalley » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:18 pm

rockstah wrote:the 498T in bridge and 490R are some of the worst pickups ever made.
throw a seymore duncan JB in the bridge and a seymour duncan jazz in the neck and listen to the difference. ;)
if you want to spend some money on pickups check out Jim Wagner's. a set of darkbursts or even his crossroads. nice man, nice.

Hmm, The "Crossroads" look very interesting, have to investigate further at home ( sneaking a peak on comp time ) :oops: :twisted:
Is there any reason I should bother messing with the neck pickup? I mainly stay at the bridge. My playing sucks so if I cant have the tone I get frustrated and loose my motivation. Maybe save some dough by getting just the bridge and using the rest for lessons! :lol:
jim

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:39 pm

monsterwalley wrote:
rockstah wrote:the 498T in bridge and 490R are some of the worst pickups ever made.
throw a seymore duncan JB in the bridge and a seymour duncan jazz in the neck and listen to the difference. ;)
if you want to spend some money on pickups check out Jim Wagner's. a set of darkbursts or even his crossroads. nice man, nice.

Hmm, The "Crossroads" look very interesting, have to investigate further at home ( sneaking a peak on comp time ) :oops: :twisted:
Is there any reason I should bother messing with the neck pickup? I mainly stay at the bridge. My playing sucks so if I cant have the tone I get frustrated and loose my motivation. Maybe save some dough by getting just the bridge and using the rest for lessons! :lol:
sounds good. get a new bridge pickup if thats what you use mostly, sure whynot? :)

77custom

Post by 77custom » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:26 pm

rockstah wrote:
77custom wrote:F.Y.I. The 490 and 498's are not ceramic. They are alnico V's. Personally I love them. I took out the weak t-tops, the Tim Shaws, the circuit board Gibson/Bill Lawrance that came stock with most of my Les Pauls and replaced them with the 490/498 series. Although I'm really diggin' the DiMarzio Air Norton in the bridge, even tho most like to use it in the neck. BTW, I am not a fan of Dimarzio, but the Air Nortons impressed me. Hey, to each his own!
they still sound like garbage.
Good more for me then!!!

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:19 pm

NY Chief wrote:Where do the Burst Buckers fit in as compared to the 498T and 490R? According to the Gibson website I have a Burstbucker 2R and a 3T in my '54 Oxblood RI. I'm not sure about them. Sometimes they sound OK and other times they strike me as crap. I'm not sure if it's the pickups or something else.

Anybody have a good breakdown on the Gibby stock p/u's?? Being it's bascially a clone of Beck's LP I guess I should just dump a Duncan JB and JM in the thing, huh?
I would go by the pickup chart to compare output in what you prefer to your ear.
I like not so hot and let the amp work the gain. (Low 7's to Mid 8's)
Too gainy of a pickup with too much sizzle sounds thin, but good for legatto quick stuff.
I feel the neck pickup could be replaced while the bridge is on the hot sounding side.
Sounds like a cross between a Custom and a Standard. Thus why it sounds like crap and sometimes good.
I must say it's one of the Best sustaining guitars I've came across out of the kazillion that I've played & owned.
With the right pickup config it would set the premis for what killer tone sounds like in a LP.

Jimmie K.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

monsterwalley

Post by monsterwalley » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:43 pm

very helpful that Mr. Wagner.... should see a darkburst and a crossroads show up pretty soon :)
jim

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:26 am

monsterwalley wrote:

very helpful that Mr. Wagner.... should see a darkburst and a crossroads show up pretty soon :)
nice. ;)

monsterwalley

Post by monsterwalley » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:46 pm

8) Thanks for the info Rockstah, just installed the darkburst and crossroads tonight. Got to play for only 5 min,but what tone. My turn to read bedtime stories. :? Anyway it was like a cancerous tumor was excised from my guitar! The neck is definetly useable now.
Can't wait to play more. afa the old pups I cant get them outa the house fast enough! I aint mean enough to give them to my worst enemey.
I know.... deer season is around the corner and I need to sight my 300 mag in, theyd make a decent 150 yd target :lol: .
Seriousely though, there had to be something wrong with them. I can't imagine something that bad is mass produced.
Oh, and Mr Wagner is a most excellent dude, wicked fast shipping too!
jim

vtwin

Post by vtwin » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:56 pm

Which pickup in which position, and why that configuration? Looking to upgrade also. Any insight is appreciated.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:08 am

monsterwalley wrote:8) Thanks for the info Rockstah, just installed the darkburst and crossroads tonight. Got to play for only 5 min,but what tone. My turn to read bedtime stories. :? Anyway it was like a cancerous tumor was excised from my guitar! The neck is definetly useable now.
Can't wait to play more. afa the old pups I cant get them outa the house fast enough! I aint mean enough to give them to my worst enemey.
I know.... deer season is around the corner and I need to sight my 300 mag in, theyd make a decent 150 yd target :lol: .
Seriousely though, there had to be something wrong with them. I can't imagine something that bad is mass produced.
Oh, and Mr Wagner is a most excellent dude, wicked fast shipping too!
like i said the 498T in bridge and 490R r tital garbage - i magine u have teh crossroads in theneck and darkburst in the bridge or visa versa?
u must be in heaven dude! - congradulations. 8)

Bad Kitty

Post by Bad Kitty » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:13 am

I don't suppose you still have those "weak" t-tops or Shaws do you?

Mike
Never settle for an amp thats smaller then you are.

monsterwalley

Post by monsterwalley » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:37 am

Darkburst in the bridge and Crossroads in the neck, at Jim's recomendation. 8)
Now... into work for 8+ hours :x I hate working Saturdays!
No doubt when I get home something will pop up to keep me from
sampling pups :roll:
jim