Cap on Tone Pots in HM Series Strat with Darkbursts.

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Cap on Tone Pots in HM Series Strat with Darkbursts.

Post by mightymike » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:14 pm

Here's a pic of the wiring before I changed the Super Distortion Bridge Humbucker to a Darkburst.
http://kymer1.home.comcast.net/images/h ... wiring.jpg

I was wondering what would be a good upgrade as far as those yellow caps on the tone caps. I have lots of caps around here: silver mica, Ceramic, electrolitic, even one of those Mullard Gold Fish ones. (If I can find it)

The guitar is a HSS type p/u configuration, with a 5 way Strat style p/u slector switch,black bat coil split switch, 2 tone pots, and a Volume pot.
It already sounds 10 times better than before, but maybe a cap change, different componets, specs, or diferent wiring scheme might even sound better.
I'm open to suggestions.

I'm really interested in getting some Van Zandt single coils for the neck and mid. The neck and single coils in there sound like a blanket is over them, no sparkle or snarl, but the Humbucker tone rocks now.
Not bad for a $400 and something guitar.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:51 pm

I'd suggest 1M pots to help brighten up the single coils, but the humbucker sound would also get brighter........

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:17 pm

1M pots in a guitar other than a Tele is just wacked, my friend. :shock:

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:39 am

Turn out this has tbx tone controls, and super strat style wiring with the super 5 way switch.

I'm thinking of copying the wiring scheme on my C90 HSS, but it only has one tone, and the coil split is on the tone.

This HM guitar is top routed and already has holes for 1 vol, 2 tone,coils split, and 5 way.

There's a few diferent ways.

I'm wondering if the bridge position pot could be a 500/.022
Neck/ Mid Tone Pot 250/.047
and a 500 for the vole

Or if I should do Lone star Strat wiring.

I think I'm just gonna get 2 of each size pot and experiment
All audio pot should be fine, or do I need linears for the tones?

There's only so many combinations.

Also what the deal with those Hovland caps for guitar. RS is really hyping them and and their volumes pot as being special and charging really high prices. Is their 280k and500k CTS Super Pot that much different than a regualr CTS pots? I'm trying to save some money, but not cut corners if it's the best.

Are the hovalnad better than using a ceramic cap (like in my custom shop)
Would they be better than those ODs ACME Guitar uses?
I have ceramics, ODs, and Mustard (mullard and sozo)

Also I'm going to be changing the magnet. I thought this Darkburst came with A2, but Rockstah says it has A5.

So where do I det a a2 magnet, and is it easy to change?

Bluesgeetar
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Bluesgeetar » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:20 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.crcoils.com/New_PIckups/Piec ... parts.html

There you go bro! Straight from the man himself. $5.00 each and made just for Wagner pickups! CAn't do no better than that bro!

Also Jim writes:
I will also send an instruction paper explaining how to swap them. VERY easy to do, no trick at all.

:D

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:37 am

Well down to a half dozen HM's now. Pretty good considering my 14 prior :shock:
Customized most of them.
Ripped out the guts in some and replaced them with Genuine Fender Pots, 250K's, and selector switches.
I only use the volume so it is hooked up to the pickup selector switch and then to the output jack.
I really don't care for the HM's Electronixxx. ( or bridge pickup _ Special DiMarzio) To me it robs tone and doesn't let the pickup breathe. Thus why I replace.
I like my HM's a lot but the tone knobs in the circuit gotta go. (just in the HM's)
I use my amp to adjust tone.
Just my .2 & IMHO how I hear my HM"s
Really like Greg Howe ll CD Thinking of you tune Reeeeeeeeeeeal Stratty !

Howz dis Mike... ? :wink: Image

Jimmie K.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:53 pm

Well. I don't feel so bad about changing it all then.

So what do you think about using a 500k/.022 for the Bridge tone pot.
And what wiring schem do you use?

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:01 am

Yeah ! If you gotta' humbucker 500k is what I use.
But in another one of my HM's I have a Stack Hummer, The Di Virtual Vintage.
250k is what I use there because of volume swells and backing off the volume, but, 500 is good if your running wide open...

.022 or .1's are my choice for Stratville.

I just use a simple wiring to achieve a wide open tone like this...

This is a clip of the maple neck HM with this setup .
Dimarzio Virtual / Line6 GP... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=623727

Jimmie K.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:39 am

I just rewired the guitar. Ripped everything out.
Diabled the Single coils.

Now it has all new electronics: CTS 500k Audio Pot for Volume, and a 500k Linear, with a .047 Mustard For the Tone. There's a 250k CTS in there for future single coils, but for now it's not connected.... just has the back soldered. This is a rear routed strat body, with no Pickguard needed.

I have a buss bar across all three pots (Marhall style) with a .047 Mustard on the 500k Linear Tone Pot. I;'m gona try a .02 ceramic, and I also have some Hovlands in .022 and .047uf, a 5 way switch, and A Vanzandt Vintage Plus neck, and a Vandzandt Rock Mid on the way.

I may replace that 250 k pot with a dual 250k pot so I can have separate tone controls for each single coil, when they arrive.

I'm also considering wiring the 2 gang ON/ON coil split switch to where it also changes the 500k/.047 tone pot into a 250k/.022 when it switches to single coils. So that way the single coil sound of the Humbucker will be usable. It's easy just put a 500k resistor in parralel, and another cap in series if needed.

Who knows I might end up putting just a .022 Hovland on that 500k Linear, and jwire the Coil Split switch to also parallel another 500k, thuis reducing it to a 250k/.002. So then I wouldn't need another cap in series.

Whatever sounds best is how it will end up.
When the VZ arrive I'll actually change the Magnet in the Darkburst from a5 to a2.

Eventually this all will all be transfered into a custom rear routed Natural Finish ASH or Korina strat Body with a Vintage Trem
But for now, I'm gonna try to see how good I can get a Rear Routed Alder BodyGuitar, with a Tone sucking Locking Tremolo, and with top notch electronics can sound. They do stay in better than my other guitars with Vintage Fender, and Wilkenson.

I'm also puting similiar electronics in my son 62 RI for Christmas.
But his Darkburst is comming with the A2 aready in there, and I'm gonna transfer his Fralin Blues from the neck and Mid, because I liked them. it was the Blues Bridge I didn't like.

If I was to do Fralins agaian, it would have a Rock Bridge.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:13 pm

Most of my HM's are customized. I designed the pickguards for them. They are "lay over's".
I have two styles...different from the previous posted HM's....here's the udder one :

In this one (ala Eddie) I have a Shredder. I just received an A2&A3 to from Jim to expirement.. The dpdt is a two way on/on series/parallel
I'll be adding a push/push dpdt to accomplish split coil. I'll post my findings...

(I added a clip in MySoundclick for the Shredder with an A5 using L6GuitarPort using this guitar.)
(check pm)

Jimmie K.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:39 am

8)

I emailed you those WCR SR Single Coil Clips.