competent luthiers in midwest?

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

monsterwalley

competent luthiers in midwest?

Post by monsterwalley » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:10 pm

anybody know of any around the kansas area?

I just installed (look at my humbucker help post) new pick ups in my guitar. They solved every single problem I thought I was having with my amp. (check the Hiss and hum in the jtm 45 section). I am happy but pissed that I wasted so much time. I did try my wifes Ibaneze through the amp to rule out my guitar and it was basically the same, kinda muddy with the crackle on the notes problem.
I took my guitar to lawrence to have it set up and address some problems, lots of hum till I touch the strings. He said it was normal and that meant that it was working properly. Well I'm new so I believed him, looking back I think all he did was put a set of strings on it.

Ever since I put darkburst/crossroads in, it has been DEADSILENT! I can't say enough about them ,and My Jtm 45 (metro) I built has sounded bad f**kn ass!

I plugged my wifes guitar back in and absolute shiite. so much for my comparison in the begining. our tech here couldnt even fix her input jack 3 times at $30 bucks a whack (unknown to me at the time) I fixed it permanently for 3 bucks!

So does anybody know of a competent luthier in my area?
jim

jz
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by jz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:09 pm

Jim- A good book is available if you are interested in some DIY repairs, set ups and the like. I think the title is The Complete Guide To Guitar Repair And Maintainance by Dan Erlewine. It's a "how to" guide for most any problem you may encounter w/ very clear step by step instructions. BTW, How does the 4x12 sound ? JZ

Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:17 pm

I had the same problem so I taught myself to do set ups, neck adjustments, etc. Everything but a fret job and a broken neck (god forbid that ever happens). It's really not that hard, just takes some patience and practice and a few tools. Yea--WCR Rocks!!!

monsterwalley

Post by monsterwalley » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:19 pm

jz wrote:Jim- A good book is available if you are interested in some DIY repairs, set ups and the like. I think the title is The Complete Guide To Guitar Repair And Maintainance by Dan Erlewine. It's a "how to" guide for most any problem you may encounter w/ very clear step by step instructions. BTW, How does the 4x12 sound ? JZ

thanks for the info, and the 4x12 rawks dude my neighbors absolutely hate it! :lol: , actually they are all pretty cool. :wink:
Hows business btw...?
jim

monsterwalley

Post by monsterwalley » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:29 pm

Guitar Adjuster wrote:I had the same problem so I taught myself to do set ups, neck adjustments, etc. Everything but a fret job and a broken neck (god forbid that ever happens). It's really not that hard, just takes some patience and practice and a few tools. Yea--WCR Rocks!!!

Thanks for the reply. I feel alright doing some of it, but i'm a novice (newbie) player and would like a pro to set me up the first time. right now I am having more fun tinkering with amps than screwing up my fretboard :?
I think i have one high fret, well pretty sure, but I dont have any interest in messing with that myself. And if I'm not interested in doing something I usually don't give it a 100%.
jim

jz
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by jz » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:41 pm

Glad to hear about the cab! :D The cab building bus is going okay, although I think there's a wider market cabs covered and ready to load. I'll probably move in that direction in addition to uncovered cabs. JZ