50 Watt build measure output power

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Mcewen4444
Just the numbers in order: 7

50 Watt build measure output power

Post by Mcewen4444 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:03 am

Hello all,

I built a 50 watt Metro kit a year or so ago. It never seemed to be as loud as my '73 Marshall 50w, not even close. Is there a safe way I can use a DVM to compare the output level at full volume of both amps. Just to prove to me my ears are not deceiving me? I have a resistive load (hotplate set to load) so I can dime it and perhaps measure from the other output jack. I also have a signal generator that I have not used in years, but maybe could use for the input, but not sure how/what freq to set it.

For some reason, this amp I built, the volume and tone controls have no effect until about 9'oclock. They are marked as audio pots, except for the presence of course, which I think is linear. Perhaps I should un solder one and check it with a meter. But even with volume dimed, it just doesnt seem to be as loud.

I have built 2 100w plexi's before this, and they work like they should, this is my first 50w. This 50w is built per George's instructions, except that I cascaded the preamp like a 2204.

Sounds like a 2204 to me, have lots of preamp grind, but I want to test and compare the output level with another known to me good amp.

Thanks for any suggestions.