50 Watt Plexi Kits!!!!

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:59 pm

I went with george's trannies. will prob run at 220v when the wall voltage is 230v
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

thousandshirts

Post by thousandshirts » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:45 pm

Tuco & Roe:

It's difficult to choose transformers given all of the options that receive rave reviews; MM, Marstran, ******, etc., but the Metro transformers also get fantastic reviews. Not having tried any of them, but having read about all of them, I opted with the Metropolous transformers. The decision was based purely on ease of ordering; though I might like to try some of the other ones, if I went with a MM or Marstran or ******, I'd constantly be wondering about the Metro transformers that I didn't get. This would hold true for each choice that I made, so I went with the easiest one, combined shipping, etc. etc. . . .

The name of the game is replacing my 1990's Marshall 1987x RI, and I'm sure when the 50w Kit arrives and is finally assembled, I'll easily achieve that with any of the aforementioned transformers. Above and beyond making an improvement over the Reissue, well, that's a challenge for another day; after the Metro 50w is breathing freely, perhaps I can more easily decide where to go, if anywhere at all, from there. I always read the threads regarding these choices with great interest. It is always great to hear clips from Rockstah and others who let us hear similar, or even identical amps, but with different transformers. As I say, though, if I went with anything but the Metro, I'd still think about the Metro, and wonder.

JimmyR

Post by JimmyR » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:02 pm

Well I can't speak for George's kit - not quite! But I have built a '68 replica with George's new steel chassis, board, trannies. Sozos and a Marstran O/T. It looks almost identical to the kit except I have .1uF PS caps. We must have based it on the same amps on the Marstran site! I love it. It sounds absolutely incredible. I have some JJ KT88s in it now and they sound very good indeed.

One day I'll build a 100watter, but I do love my 50s. And so many thanks to George for supplying all the stuff we need - the chassis is fantastic.

KubajzCZ

Re: 50 Watt Plexi Kits!!!!

Post by KubajzCZ » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:02 pm

check

dmcguitar

Post by dmcguitar » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:01 pm

Is it possible to wire the kit up to run in Class A? also when building the kit would anything different have to be done to run the amp with KT88, KT66, 6550 or 6l6 tubes instead of the EL34s (besides biasing the amp for them?) and are there mods to the kit that people have done? like add more gain and things..

i would like to build one, and then i figure when i need a new fix i'd like to be able to change the amp to whatever i want like above... or buy a second and experiment... but i dont konw too much about the whole inner workings yet. (hence i wanna build one and get that working first)

thanks
www.atomicfury.com

that's my band, Im the sole guitarist. Go ahead listen and tell me what you think.. of the band. or me.

-5150II
-custom (I made) 2x12 cab
-custom (I made) strat guitar
-Wayne strat

ampmike
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by ampmike » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:06 am

Hey Guys
I have a question,I just started my 50 watt and got mercury transformers.I have to put my own
wire on the taps so you really cant go by the instruction yet.O.K on the wiki site there is a pic of the mercury
in the 50 watt amp ,the common tap seems to have 2 wires ,one for the primary to the fuse holder,Question
is What is that second wire and where does it go,The instructions dont seem to mention a second wire
on the common terminal. Need a little help. Thanks MJC

Jim SS

Post by Jim SS » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am

Sounds fantastic. George, what settings on the amp did you use?
Gear:
100W Plexi
50W Plexi
Marshall 20 Watt