JTM45/Black Flag Hybrid - Any experience?

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

koffo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

JTM45/Black Flag Hybrid - Any experience?

Post by koffo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:09 am

Hi,

I built a JTM45 several years ago, and I'm very satisfied about the sound and feel. Unfortunately for me, last year, I built 12xxx clone, and I have to say that I really dig that sound, more than my good old JTM.

Now the question: what if I try to create an Hybrid between the two, that is: split cathode and superlead-like preamp section, tube rectifier and KT66? On the JTM45 I have the FX loop installed, and I've tried the power stage with many preamps (also an ADA MP1) it responds really cool and has that natural compression thing going on, so I don't want to switch to EL34 and SS rectifier.

Would it be difficult to do?
Do I need to change the turret board or I can modify the Jtm45 one?
Has anybody ever tried this configuration?

Thanks in advance,
Andrea

danman

Re: JTM45/Black Flag Hybrid - Any experience?

Post by danman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:35 pm

I have my modded my 50 watt circuit from split to shared cathode and finally back to split. You will most likely need to add an extra turret or two to hold the extra resistor for the shared cathode circuit. If you don't want to remove the board to do it, Tube Depot sells a threaded turret that is very easy to add to the existing board...https://tubedepot.com/products/bifurcat ... poxy-board

koffo

Re: JTM45/Black Flag Hybrid - Any experience?

Post by koffo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:12 pm

This is actually a cool suggestion, so I don't have to build an entirely new turretboard, moreover it is easily reversible!

Thanks for the suggestion!