Zero-Loss FX Loop Kit for mid 60's Fender Tremolux head?

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

hugojkd
Just the numbers in order: 7

Zero-Loss FX Loop Kit for mid 60's Fender Tremolux head?

Post by hugojkd » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Hello,

My name is Hugo, & I'm new here. I look forward to getting to know you guys, and appreciate having everyone here. I'm a tech newb & have a ton of questions. Please forgive my ignorance & general lack of knowledge.

The 1st thing I would like to ask is about adding the Zero-Loss FX Loop Kit to a mid 60's Fender Tremolux head. The amp was bought in bad condition and had to be completely rebuilt, so most of the parts aren't actually vintage. Like most vintage Fenders, it has a bright sound & gets some dirt when cranked past 5.

I hate the idea of modding the amp, but I'm starting to use a bunch of modulation effects. In the future I plan to run the Tremolux in stereo with an old Laney AOR 50, which will eventually be replaced with a JMP 1986 clone when I get the money.

Don't know if this helps or if it's TMI, but I'm running a Deluxe Have Vibe, a Vox Wha, a Tonebender, a Fuzz Face clone, & a Keeley Rat overdrive. The modulation effects I run now are a MXR Carbon Copy, & an Ibanez CS9 chorus. I plan to get a volume pedal in the future, & replace the Carbon Copy with two Boss DD3's.

Since I'm using a bunch of pedals & plan to add more, I would like to run the modulation effects (specifically the two Boss DD3's & CS9, & possibly the Haze Vibe) through an effects loop.

I've heard great things Zero-Loss FX Loop Kit, although it sounds like it was made with Marshall type amps in mind. Will it change/effect the amp's tone? Will there be any issues adding it to an amp with Tremolo built into it? Are there any alternatives that don't require drilling holes into the amp?

Any thoughts/other considerations?

Thanks in advance,

Hugo

SDM
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Zero-Loss FX Loop Kit for mid 60's Fender Tremolux head?

Post by SDM » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:00 am

Hello Hugo, welcome to the forum.

The ZL loop was designed/intended for Marshalls (and their modern counterparts), but it has been used in Fenders on occasion too. Some Fenders are just not a good fit, others I consider "marginal" due to levels a bit off from ideal, some can work out well. First though, I need to know exactly what the amp was rebuilt as. Is it a Blackface AA763, and rebuilt as such? Any changes from the stock circuit at all during or after the rebuild?