loop in a 5E3 Deluxe

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Ivabiggun

loop in a 5E3 Deluxe

Post by Ivabiggun » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:13 am

I was thinking of installing this in a 5E3 Deluxe I am building. I am wondering where to put it in the circuit. Perhaps between the output of the .1uf coupling cap coming from V2 pin 1 and pin 7. Seems like the place to put it because pin 7 is the input of the PI. What do you think fellow guru's lol
5E3 loop.jpg
5E3 loop.jpg (41.39 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
"Sign zee papers, old man"

SDM
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: loop in a 5E3 Deluxe

Post by SDM » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:09 pm

If you are talking about the pedal level Zero Loss loop, it'll see a MUCH stronger incoming signal there in a 5E3 than it will in a Marshall style amp (assuming the amp is cranked up). No tone stack or such directly preceding the loop to reduce the signal level at that point.

So, the loop won't put out a pedal level signal, but rather a line level signal. This may actually work out okay if you only intend to use line level effects/rack gear, and those effects have a low noise floor, but otherwise, and in general, the Zero Loss loop just isn't a good match for this particular setup.

Sorry about that.

Ivabiggun

Post by Ivabiggun » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:10 am

Can the signal be padded down to -10 for pedals?

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by flemingmras » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:13 am

Ivabiggun wrote:Can the signal be padded down to -10 for pedals?
If you pad it down prior to the signal entering the loop. But then you'll have to recover that gain somehow on the other side after the signal comes back from the return, which may involve adding another gain stage after the loop.
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

SDM

Post by SDM » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 am

The signal could be padded down with the loop's trimmer pot to send the proper pedal level, but as flemingmras points out, the return stage will then be too low to return the signal strength back to where it was originally. Would need a return gain around 300 (which probably is on the verge of being possible with the loop's own return stage actually, modified a bit of course), but for potential noise and stability reasons though, wouldn't recommend trying to modify the loop return for such a massive boost.

Ivabiggun

Post by Ivabiggun » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:58 am

Okay, thank you for the input. I may go ahead and install it. The input jacks are the correct spacing and there is room in the chassis. Not much room mind you, but enough. If I use a good quality rack mount unit like the G-Major it should be okay then. If I do install it I will post some pics and sound clips.

Ivabiggun

sneakyybstrd

Post by sneakyybstrd » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:29 pm

How did this work out for you? do you have any pictures? I really would like to add an effects loop in my 5e3. Thank you!